Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier vs Fender - need help with my prejudice!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by VerySlowHand, Sep 8, 2017.

1. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    6 months of shame and embarrassment?
    Will you have any friends left?

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Sounds like a great way, if you think about it, to identify and cast off those "friends" who are too precious for words.

People who still return your phone calls when you play a Squier - these are the people who will still be there when the chips are down.

savofenno likes this.

3. Funny I don't think twice about it anymore... just last weekend I gig'd with two Squier's and loved it. Actually the guitar I'm most embarrassed by is the Gibson LP (Tribute) gold top I have... it's the worse made guitar I have!

4. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    Here's a thought, from 'way out in left field.

If you want an economy Tele, and can't seem to scrape up the jingo for a genuine Fender right now, why not try the very best of the 'copy' guitars, the Austin?

I picked up an Austin strat-copy last year, and it is absolutely top-drawer.
    Plays and sounds rock-solid, feels right, and always stays in tune.
    An unbelievable economy guitar, and it has no 'Squier' bias stigma.
    In fact, I had never heard of Austins until an older salesman at the guitar store turned me onto them.

Here are the only Tele's that they make, and they are identical except for the paint jobs.

http://www.austingtr.com/guitar/atc200bk/

http://www.austingtr.com/guitar/atc200wh/

http://www.austingtr.com/guitar/atc200sb/

Just a thought......

:rolleyes:

murdude likes this.

5. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2016
    Australia
    I have or have had a mixture of both Squier CVs and VMs, and low-end MIM and Japanese Fenders, so they are all vying for a similar place in the market, and I can't tell the difference. All I know is they all benefit from upgrades, but none desperately need them.

savofenno likes this.

6. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    The best sounding, best playing and best looking guitar I own is my Squier Standard...

[​IMG]

savofenno, Discreetb4u and murdude like this.

7. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    I've got two Squier partscaster and I'm perfectly content. The only times I've been tempted to go all-stock Fender was a MIM Triple Telecaster and a MIM Baja Tele. Ultimately, I've stuck with what I have because they're me.
    I really don't understand the "Fender or it's not a real Tele" mindset. By that standard, all the beautiful one-off hand built Teles and small production, high quality guitars like the Kirn Barncasters in these pages aren't "real" Teles, even if they're better! Would someone seriously kick one of those to the curb in favor of an American Standard just because of the name on the headstock?
    On the other end of the spectrum, if you can drop two bills on a Squier with a good neck and a solid wood body and just make a few mods to get something comparable to a US-made Fender that goes for a grand, why wouldn't you? Because of a headstock decal? Seems silly to me.

savofenno likes this.

8. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Country of origin doesn't tell you much AT ALL about quality of guitars. Why is that we all line up to pay $800 for a Chinese made smartphone but STILL don't believe "they" can make something that was, really, perfected in the early 1950s?

I am also biased against Squier though mainly because I owned such an awful one back in the 80s, and it was my only guitar. I won't buy a Chrysler product either, just how it goes. Plus, at least in my neck of the woods, a used MIM and a decent squier cost the same on Craigslist. Finally, I don't really see great QC on Fenders either, certainly not comparable to what G&L or PRS or some other brands put out.

These days I think that once you know basically how to play, no one can tell you what guitar is best for you - neck shape, string spacing, how the bridge placement interacts with your palm, how YOU sound, through your own amp, through a particular guitar - nobody can really tell you anything about that stuff, and it's what really determines whether you are going to bond with a guitar or just keep on churning through them.

Minimalist518 likes this.

9. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    For many, like me, you gotta own one MIM, or it will always bug you. For some, it's gotta be at least one MIA.

Now, it seems this is bugging the original OP already, hence the creation of his thread!

That being said, I have one MIM Thinline Deluxe (I wanted a candy apple red and custom leather pickguard) and I spent a ton on it new. All of my other Teles are modded Squiers, GFS partscasters, and a Rondo Hadean.

I don't play the Thinline much because I'm still hiding it from the wife. Not kidding. Have it about 6 months now. Still has the original 9s on it, which for my style of play makes no sense. But a 12" radius, so try to find that on the Tele style/configuration you want.

When I switch to 10s and set it up again, my opinion may be different, but for now...

There is no questioning that the fit, finish, and overall quality feel of this guitar is way above my other guitars, but does it PLAY any better yet? Does it SOUND any better? Ohhhh--I definitely can't say that at this point. And I may never be able to, unless I successfully screw around with it.

But by buying this Fender, I scratched that "Gotta have a Fender" itch. And when I buy additional guitars, the headstock decal isn't gonna matter at all.

Hell, my double bound $115 Rondo Hadean that I strung for Nashville tuning is freaking AMAZING! 115 BUCKS!

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I know some of the people who have shuttling, back and forth, back and forth across the Pacific, guiding every conceivable step of the assembly and manufacturing process of these electronic devices. The product development/engineering and so forth involve HEAVY involvement by professionals who live in California and are exquisite in their roles in the phones and similar electronic devices.

But local folk are in charge of making the Squiers and other knockoffs outside North America. The profit per unit is simply too small to allow for a bunch of supervision and hand holding - the locals make lots of lots of decisions as the product evolves this way and that way. FMIC just does a quick inspection here and there and the locals know if the product is too sketchy, FMIC won't accept it and they have to sell the guitars under another name to someone who won't pay much. To a serious degree, they are their own bosses and in the phone plants, that's absolutely not the case.

IMO, you've been bamboozled as to the amount of critical decision making on these phones that's left up to the hired help. The number of these phones that are destroyed as being ever so slightly not right for shipping, would knock your eyes out.

11. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    But you're not really contradicting what he's saying, are you?

It's all about the supervision and inspection process, whether for phones or guitars. For the end user, what the factory has to dispose of doesn't matter.

Just trying to understand the point.

12. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    just a general reply to this thread:

Am I wrong or is there some kind of consensus here that good quality control person can only be done by Americans (or by extension Europeans)?

This is what I think of local (in this case Asian) QC people
    • Intelligent, check
    • able to do QC (because of necessary training), check
    • relatively cheap worker, check....
    I'm not saying Asian factories have a superior QC, I'm just wondering why people seem to think that they are not able to.

In my book where ever you go on this globe there are good workers and bad workers. Qualified personnel can come from everywhere. An American QC person will probably earn a lot more, but that does not make him better at his job, only more expensive.

grooveiron and savofenno like this.

13. blackspider57

blackspider57 TDPRI Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Squier Standard. A very nice guitar! P1000262.JPG

14. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    That doesn't contradict my point at all, which is that there is nothing inherently inferior about Chinese products and hasn't been for a long time. Do you think that American workers are less fallible? I've seen NO evidence of that and plenty of anecdotal evidence of the opposite. Those cheaper USA Gibsons could definitely benefit from a trip to the (Korean) inspection area where PRS SE guitars are QCed.

savofenno, Ira7 and nicod98 like this.

15. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    It's a bias created in part by the guitar companies who have made "Made in USA" a selling point of their top-of-the-range guitars. Half / more of the guys who are saying don't buy a cheap import guitar are driving Hyundais with Chinese transmissions in them.

16. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I love my VM special, great guitar and going by MF reviews everyone else does, ~20 reviews all 5 stars other than a single 4 star because the guitar comes with 9s rather than 10s. :rolleyes: Probably one of the only guitars I will never sell (other than any I build for myself), they're just worth so much more than what people pay for them. Try a good squier then decide and brand snobbery is a terrible thing, one of my mates admits he is. He's more onto gibson/epiphone and admits when it comes to fit and finish a good epiphone is as good as a good gibson (other than the lack of the binding :D on some models).

17. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Meister

Yup, but I think brand prejudice is of little consequence, compared to the more profound prejudice you seem to be alluding to. ;-)

FWIW, the house is off the market, we're staying put - much to my wife's delight - but either way, not being a Tele-traditionalist, I'm erring towards something with humbuckers or P90s, which at the budget end favours Modern Players, or Squires (and a bit of sandpaper for the headstock... lol, as they say).

Thanks for all the replies guys and gals.

18. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Scotland
    I've got a Chinese made Squier Jagmaster that's easily my favourite guitar. It's certainly played more than my MIA Tele or MIA Mustang.

Which proves...nothing :)

19. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    That really takes at least half the value off of your Squier. Why would you do such a thing? Be proud of it being a "Squier".

Asmith, notmyusualuserid and grolan1 like this.

20. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Very true, I bought a squier affinity strat a really good price but someone defaced the decal and replaced it with a fender one (badly I might add), I have since removed the fender one and placed a custom one on there. Anyway, I offer you 2 identical squiers but one has it's original decal, the other has nothing to indicate it's a squier other than my word. Which one would you pay more for?

You're still prejudiced, (even more so) if you remove the decal off a Squier. Squier make good guitars and if you're performing in front of someone or a crowd they'll judge by the noise you make not what it says on the headstock.

grooveiron and nicod98 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.