Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier vs Fender - need help with my prejudice!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by VerySlowHand, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Tootone

Tootone Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Perth WA
    ... but you'll always wish you had a "real" Tele.

Be patient... keep checking the "for sale" ads and one will crop up for cheaper than a new MIM and not much more than a squier.

I've got a 97 USA standard strat, looks a bit scuffed but it's THE best sounding and playing guitar I have... compared to 2013 Strat and a 2013 Tele. It has the swimming pool route, probably made of Alder Jenga blocks and probably has alder veneer under the paint job. You'll likely get a 90's Tele for peanuts.

Edit: Just had a quick look on Gbase. 90s USA Teles appearing around the $850 mark. How does that compare to Squier and MIM?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017

2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    I've had both and I prefer the MIM Standard Tele - fatter necks, less poly and better electronics, though for the price, Fender ought to load them with alnico pickups, like the Tex Mex set.

3. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    If you go w/ a Squier, its great value-for-the-money merits will soon evaporate your prejudice. My Squier Cabronita and JMascis Jazzmaster are absolutely great, fun, expressive guitars.

But if you just gotta have that "Fender" name on a Tele (which is the one guitar I absolute need "Fender" on, too!), then save and wait for the right Fender Tele. Otherwise, you may always be nagged that you settled.

4. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Had a bsb Classic Vibe. Replaced the bridge pup with one from the vintage white CV and installed a 4-way switch. Great guitar. Sold it when I got my Baja, since I thought I didn't need two butterscotch Teles. Regret it.

5. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    This. But I do my own mods and setups, so it's cost-effective to find a beat-up Fender and spiff it up.

That said, my first electric was a MIK Squier; I've still got it, bone stock, and it's still excellent.

My first bass was a Squier too, an outstanding JP for a steal of a price, but as soon as I got serious about basses (about two weeks) a found a MIM for that side of the tab sheet, too.

Brand prejudice is regrettable, but for those of us who have it, it's not worth worrying about much and it's not worth fighting or "getting over." Not when Fenders can be had, then modded and/or set up, for as cheap as CV Squiers.

6. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Automotive analogy of Fender vs. Squier:

Cadillac vs. Chebby
    Lincoln vs. Ford
    Chrysler vs. Fiat/Dodge

all sung to the lyrics "...it's the real thing."

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017

7. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I have owned a bunch of Squiers and Fenders.

Somehow I have hung on to the Fenders.

I owned a Squier Classic Vibe 50s for a while, bought it used. Build quality was superb. Didn't like the neck much and the neck pickup packed up. Set it up as an Esquire for a while, the bridge pickup on these is a great sounding one but sold it on because of the neck.

I recently bought a Clasic Vibe Custom, it was badly listed on eBay at a low price so I jumped on it. Again, superb build quality, even thinner neck. I tried to persevere with it, but it didn't suit me a all. Ended up using the nice sunburst body and bridge, matching it to an MIM Std neck that I used to have on a black MIM, and making it into a nice double bound, maple necked Tele.

I have a wine red MIM that is still a great guitar, and a Baja which I would take into the bunker.

The Classic Vibe Squiers are really well made, but I wish the necks suited me. Some folk like them, and that's fine, but try them before you buy.

On the other hand I have an Affinity Tele that I bought for £40 in a charity shop, which is a great beater guitar and I'd find it difficult to part with.

savofenno and nicod98 like this.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Here's where I'd look:
    -Rondo or Harley Benton for super inexpensive new T-type for modding
    -Used Squier Affinity (but make sure the neck carve is chunky C not a thin Squier-Strat-D type) for modding
    -Used MIM, maybe keep it mostly stock (4-way switch add)

Get a fret level and full setup done on whatever you get. The MIM will need it less but starting out with fresh frets will feel like a brand new guitar.

Fender/Squier like to chip in small graduations of guitar models just like Epiphone so a buyer is thinking, "for $50 more I could step up to this set of features!". The practical splits I use are the above. An expensive Squier seems pointless to me so I ignore the VMs and CVs even though they have their fans. I have both a Squier Affinity and a MIM I play a lot, both are modified including fret levels.

9. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    That house is beautiful! Wait until the house sells and then buy the Baja.

10. GK34

GK34 Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Pearland, TX
    Out of the guitars in your budget, I would go with the Squier CV. I play a Baja and love it. However, I have owned some Squier CV's, and I would be plenty happy with one. I would prefer a stock Squier CV over a stock MIM Standard, and a pickup swap on the Standard would be kind of a headache.

11. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Prejudice is bad, no matter what.
    I try to quit it.

barnbustud, savofenno and nicod98 like this.

12. blackspider57

blackspider57 TDPRI Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    If you can tell the difference, than it makes a difference.
    I always close my eyes,
    and let my ears and hands make the decision.
    I own five Squier's.

Vespa_One, savofenno and nicod98 like this.

13. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    The CVs and VMs are the best buys in guitar land, in my opinion.

The only problem is you are limited by their offerings. And they will make a model for a year or two and quickly discontinue them.

nicod98 likes this.

14. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I don't expect any changes soon.
    We have 50s (CV), 60s (CVC) and '69 Thinline (CV) and '72 Deluxe, Custom and Thinline (all three in the VM-series). I don't expect that to change any time soon.
    This covers all "classic" models in my book. And to me they are all magnificent! (with a slight bias towards the '72 thinline and the CVC on my part)

Apparently the VM Special (with Jazzmaster neck pickup) was not very popular (according to someone I know in a store), and the VM Cabronita was too popular.
    The VM Custom and Custom II (with HB and P90s) were in stock for almost 10 years. while the VM SH and SSH were ony available for a few years. Now, the Fender Modern Player seems to be a playground for alternative pickup choices. (love the thinline with dual P90s). Hell they are made in the same factory as the CVs, so they might just label them "Squier", I'd still love them just as much.

It seems like the Squier "standard" is phasing out, with only two colour options left. The only other model is the Affinity that changes colours like a chameleon, aimed at younger beginners.
    Even the pack Affinity (string through) is no longer available according th the Fender website.

I feel Fender has sized down the Squier range (at least for telecaster models) and kept it to a minimum to steer people towards the Fender brand. Which might be a good thing... wait, strike that. Fender, please give me a new 2018 Squier telecaster model that blows me away! Perhaps an HH-tele, like an alternative on the Japanese Haruna artist model with a nice LPB body and no skull and bones?

Route67 likes this.

15. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Yep

Gotta play them. First and foremost I have to love the neck.

Figure out what neck profile is most comfortable to play and go from there.

Bill likes this.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    My step daughter has a Squier Thinline and loves it and the "brand" doesn't bother her at all. My wife bought a MIM Squier Strat, but could not like the name on the headstock at all and finally sold it to get a "Fender" headstock. So, I think everyone is different and there is no correct answer.

Wyzsard and nicod98 like this.

17. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma

I wish the VM mustang bass was still around there were a few other shortscale VM basses, a cowpoke like bass, and some other things that come and go. The standards stay, but the funky stuff I love doesn't.

savofenno, Wyzsard and nicod98 like this.

18. Big-Tele

Big-Tele Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2015
    Melbourne Australia
    I have a Squier Cabronita Tele and a MIM blacktop Strat, both excellent, both just as good.

19. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I have a couple MIA Fender Teles, a MIJ Fender Strat, MIM Fender Strat and 3 MIA Fender tube amps but mostly play a MIC CV50 Squier Tele (modded a bit to my preferences) through a MIC Excelsior. I admit I used to have a thing about having Fender on the headstock, but no longer. I guess it's nice to have some Fenders in the closet though? :D

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Some guys, yes. Others will let the brand name on the headstock eat at them.

I think guys who genuinely cannot afford to just go drop a couple Thousand spending money on a Fender, should check out some of these Contractor guitars. If you listen with your ears and not what your friends tell you, and if you tend to value your own opinion over the opinions to others, then you can buy anything that's intrinsically good.

I really think the CV makes the best sense for people who can honestly own only one-two guitars. If you can afford a Custom Shop Fender, you sometimes may as well just own that. But, nothing wrong with buying a singular Squier and if in 6 months it mysteriously ceases to amaze you, you can give it away.

savofenno and nicod98 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.