Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier vs Fender - need help with my prejudice!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by VerySlowHand, Sep 8, 2017.

1. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Meister

Please help me got over my Squier prejudice.

I'm looking for an inexpensive Telecaster - probably used, but maybe new - and can't decide whether to buy a Fender or a Squier.

I could buy a new Squier, which makes the choice easier, but I'm such an incurable brand snob and I love the Fender brand.

I had a Modern Player Thinline earlier this year and liked the P90s a lot, but made in China??? Not so sure any more. What do I do?

Shortlist:
    Used MIM Standard Tele - love the neck, modify pups, swap to vintage tuners
    New or used Squier Vintage Modified 72 - no need to tinker, I like it as it is
    New or used Squier Classic Vibe - ditto, no need to modify
    New or used Modern Player - either the Thinline or the Plus - made in China...hmmm.

I know the brand thing is silly, but if you want some 'cod psychology', it's because I didn't have much as a kid and I'm over-compensating for it as an adult.

2. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017

3. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I was right there with you. I completely ignored the Classic Vibe Customs for the last 9+ (however many) years they've been out because hey, it's Squire... no way it could be as good as Fender. I'm not bringing that Chinese crap into my home.

So every time I was in the guitar shop and saw a classic vibe, I just chortled and moved on. I had read all of the great reviews on them but I just figured it was people trying to justify their purchase. I still wouldn't touch one.

Then towards the beginning of the year my friend put his in my hands and said "you've got to try this." I shook my head, but plugged it in and played it and thought WOW! This plays better than any MIM tele I've ever played and arguably just as good as most MIA teles I've played. So I inspected it from head to toe trying to find issues with it so I could tell him why my years of brand snobbery was justified. I couldn't find a single thing wrong with it. The sound, the feel, the fit, the finish, there wasn't a single thing wrong with it. So I asked "how much did you pay for this thing again?" He said he got it used for $300 so I offered him $300 on the spot and he laughed and said NO WAY! From that moment I was on the hunt for a CV tele and had my first (the CV Custom) in my hands within a few weeks. A few weeks after that I picked up another... a CV Butterscotch Blonde. What can I say... I'm a convert! I'm a man and I can admit when I'm wrong. I was definitely wrong! I'll never look at the logo on the headstock or the country of origin in a negative light again without first trying it for myself. As I've said many times since getting my first one... you don't have to say "these are great guitars for the money"... you can simply say "these are great guitars" and just end it there because that is 100% the truth.

Now if you are looking at resale value, collector value, all of that... you might want to look elsewhere. But I don't concern myself with that because I buy my guitars to play with the intent of keeping them.

4. warrent

warrent Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    Honestly buy the MIM. As long as your happy with the actual guitar you purchase you will be happier in the long run. Life's to short to talk yourself into something you are going to regret.

5. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    The squiers have a slightly different neck, string spacing, etc.. (so does the MIM vs MIA) If you like the Squier just get it and don't look back.

There are lots of online reports about any kind of guitar that fall into "this is great" or "this is not great" or "this is better than that".

Most of the time they leave off "for me" and they also might not even know why one guitar is great for them and another is not.

The only one I've tried was a Thinline squier, it seemed pretty good to me in the store. I'm different from lots though, I like the 6-saddle bridge on the "Standard" Telecaster, etc.. some people hate that, maybe without a good reason.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017

6. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    I see 50s Classics, 60s Classics and Bajas come up all the time, for reasonable money. Sometimes they are stupid cheap, if they have a couple of dings or the seller doesn't know what he's got.

Keepers all.... for not much more money than the ones on your list......

Obsessed and savofenno like this.

7. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Meister

Thanks Guys... nice to know I'm not alone!!!

Flaneur - if I was in 'just buy it' mode, I'd go with a Baja, no question - I've had two of them. But they are £500.00 for a used one and, honestly, I need a guilt-free purchase right now, or at least until I've sold this:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44910381.html

8. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    hdvades and VerySlowHand like this.

9. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    If you have a prejudice against Squier, don't buy it.

If you decide to become open minded, try at least a Squier, a MIM and a MIA and buy the one you like most, whatever it might be.

Route67 and Picton like this.

10. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    England
    I've e had 3 vintage modified squier telecaster.

They were all pretty good, one excellent, one needed a fret levelling to have perfect action.

One of them had the P90 you want, and they did sound very nice, as the did all the other Duncan designed pick ups.

I never had a mim tele, but I've had 3 or 4 mim strats. I can't say they were any better than in terms of overall quality to the squier vintage modified telecasters.

If anything, I much preferred the vintage modified. Just play before you buy, and make sure the fret work isnok all the way up the neck.

nicod98 likes this.

11. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    Ultimately, you are going to have to play it yourself.

I've told this story before, but I was looking to buy a second Squire '51 because they were so cheap at the time. Went into Guitar Center thinking to pick one up for $70. They then also had a batch of hardtail, rosewood fretboard Fender Bullet Strats for around $100. I compared the two and preferred the sound and feel of one particular Bullet Strat to the '51s.

I then compared that Bullet Strat to a bunch of other Strats, including two Custom Shop models, playing them through a Limited Edition reissue Bassman and then an original blackface Super Reverb.

I preferred the feel and sound of the Bullet to all but one Custom Shop '63 Reissue Strats. And it was nearly tied with that one.

So I talked to the salesguy and bought the Bullet for $70 new when he matched the price to the Squier '51.

A few months later I played other Bullets in another shop, and thought they were nowhere near as good. Sharp fret ends, wonky feel, etc.

But I still have that 2007 hardtail Bullet Strat and I play it regularly. It's one of my favorite guitars, and it hangs quite well with my other rosewood fretboard Strat, an original '63.

Luckily I just used my hands and ears and not my preconceptions.

12. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    My only problem with Squiers is with the matter of inconsistent quality control.

I have held, played, and worked on Squiers before, and I would say that 2/3rds of them are nice enough, play well, and stay in tune.

It's the full 1/3rd of them that have jacked-up fret ends, poor fit & function, and won't stay in tune that tend to keep me away from ever buying one.

I must say, the only Squier that I have ever fancied was their one original model, the Squier '51.

THAT one I could go for.
    (Provided it was built on a Wednesday, and not a Monday.)

:(

[​IMG]

Minimalist518 likes this.

13. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    That is, I suppose a result of the low price setting of the budget models. But believe me, it can be a lot worse. But I do understand that sentiment.
    My experience tells me the higher priced models (VM/CV) are consistently good... ;)

As far as I know there were more Squier only models than just the Squier '51. I thought the Vista Venus was a "sought after" Squier model too...

On the other hand, we all choose what we like. We don't all drive a Ford, Cadillac or Volkswagen, and we all have our preferences.

14. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama

This is undeniably true.

I love motorcycles, and have ridden them for most of my life.

But, as much as I admire and respect Harley Davidson's, I have never wanted one.

Can't say exactly why that it.
    Just not my style, I guess.

:)

15. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Buy the one that sounds the best to you.

Fiesta Red likes this.

16. jjudas

jjudas Tele-Meister

Jul 26, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Buy the Fender... you have issues with the Squier label. It will bug you.

Ira7 and Obsessed like this.

17. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    Eck! A Squier! Help me!
    Are these kind of questions real or is it just people wanting a reason to start a conversation?

t guitar floyd likes this.

18. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    +1. Buy the Fender.

Esoterics notwithstanding, Fender has better QC, better electronics, and the warranty is MUCH better.

19. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    This is a dangerous one... If you need the warranty, it means the quality is not good.

I've been using that argument to get free extended warranty on home electronics for years. "What, there's only two years of warranty?" "What do you mean an extended warranty up to 5 years, do you expect it to break within just 5 years? If the answer is no, you should give the extended warranty for free...".

20. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I got a lemon for my Squier Vintage Modified. My main complaint is that the body wood was too soft and virtually every screw has pulled out and needed to be toothpicked and glued at some point. One pot wasn't working when it arrived and the pickups were junk. I replaced the electronics and pickups. Realize that a Squier VM is a fixer-upper at best. Stock it's a POS.

Out of your list, I'm a fan of the Squier Classic Vibe and the MIM Fender. Both well-made guitars that will last.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.