Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Vintage Modified 72 Thinline

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by nopicknick, Apr 30, 2018.

1. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2012
    Alabama
    Local store has one in stock. I didn't plug it in, but I did like the neck shape. Are these well crafted? I have no idea what components are used. Made in Indonesia doesn't bother me, just wondering if there is a better model to look for....thanks.

ianstrike likes this.

2. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

Vintage Modified line are fine guitars. decently priced for the money.

swany likes this.

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Agreed, great neck. I slapped one on my CV Thinline.

4. Matthew Leo

Matthew Leo TDPRI Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Maine
    "Decently priced for the money" doesn't even make sense. They are decently priced, and for the money they are good guitars. They're even good guitars compared to the MIM versions. Flatter radius and bigger frets. I prefer the necks on the Squiers. The only place they really are sub-par in comparison are the pots/switch/jack. The pickups are the same. That's mine over there in my avatar.

5. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I see the Squier CV, VM and Fender MP series as on the same level qualitywise. Sometimes they rival even higher end guitars.

The '72 Thinline is mentioned often in that range. I for one played a Fender and this Squier in the shop and the Squier felt better to me. But, I might have been lucky. Or I might have been subjective about the price (don't think so, but I'm no self-psychologist).

On the other hand, I have no regrets and it is one of my favourites. I know the pickups are not the same as on the original 70s models, but they sound great to me, and the natural finish is stunning!

I think you can't go wrong with this one.

6. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

Sorry about that typo, I meant "Decently made for the money".

7. GreatGaudy

GreatGaudy Tele-Meister

Jul 13, 2016
    noVa
    ..that makes even less sense.

dreamingtele likes this.

8. rhcole

rhcole TDPRI Member

May 12, 2017
    Petaluma, CA
    I had the Squier Thinline 69. I thought it was an incredible guitar for not much money. But when I upgraded to an American Deluxe Thinline, I couldn't play it anymore. It couldn't keep up by comparison.

9. Matthew Leo

Matthew Leo TDPRI Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Maine
    Makes perfect sense, but feel free to explain yourself.

The MIM versions are almost twice the price. They have 7.25" radius and vintage frets. I prefer the 9.5" radius and medium jumbo frets on the Squier. The Squiers feel just as well built, and sound just as good, yet play better because of that neck and cost hundreds less. Pretty easy to follow. If you like the MIM neck, well then that's your preference.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    nicod98 likes this.

10. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I hope Fender guitars are higher quality than Squier. In most cases they are, but both have great guitars and both have their lemons. The Fender '72 Thinline I played in the shop was no match for the Squier. The parts (especially electronics and perhaps bridge/tuners) can be of lower quality, but the finish was equal. I have had several cases where it was the other way around too with the Fender beating the Squier hands down.

In the end a lot of it is perception and preference. We should all buy what we like the most. I thought I didn't have a 7.25" radius guitar until I bought a set of radius gauges to align my strings. I discovered I had several, but fretboard radius was apparently not important to me. Even more: I didn't have a clue the radius was different on these guitars.
    I don't like vintage frets though. I am used to playing medium jumbo frets, but have one guitar with jumbo frets too. That's even better for me. But does it matter what each of us prefers? Probably not.

11. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2012
    Alabama
    Sorry for the side ways pic but picked it up today

[​IMG]

zippofan and Lake Placid Blue like this.

12. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2012
    Alabama
    Someone educate me on these pickups. I believe they are not voiced like the originals, but sound fine to me. Are they alnico 5's. Same pickups Fender uses in the MIM series? Only mod I want to do right now are the pots. Is there a pre-wired guard that is a direct replacement for the Squier series. Thanks for the info.

13. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Do not open the can of worms about the 'original' WRHB. That'll end up in 7 pages of yada yada that you don't need, since they aren't the same pickup at all.

What they are is a modern humbucker designed for a little extra chime, a little less beef. They are the exact same pickups as used in the MIM version of the same guitar.

Not sure the alnico, but V is a good guess, someone who knows will post soon I'm sure.

BUT--how are you liking it? Liking the pickups?

14. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2012
    Alabama
    Pickups sound fine. Neck pickup a tad dark, but not enough to want a swap yet. Not sure what pots are used, 250 or 500, but will change them anyway. Overall the guitar is great. I am not one of those guys that care where a guitar is made. Wasn't even intending on buying a guitar. It looked nice hanging there so what heck. How lucky we are to have so many choices on well crafted instruments today.

15. crowhaven2000

crowhaven2000 Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2011
    New Mexico
    Just enjoy it...lol. I love mine. Love the neck, and teh pickups. I got the sunburst. Whomever said don't ask about the pickups is right..lol. Can of worms. It really doesn't matter if you like them. You should plug it in and enjoy it.

16. crowhaven2000

Jun 21, 2011
    New Mexico
    Ah so you have plugged it in. I like mine, have no need to modify it. She's a beauty. I kind of wish I would have gotten the Natural.

17. blackspider57

blackspider57 Tele-Meister

Mar 10, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Funny, I sort of wish I would have gotten the sunburst :) It is a great guitar no matter which one you get. I close my eyes, and I can't tell the difference.

nicod98 likes this.

18. crowhaven2000

Jun 21, 2011
    New Mexico
    When this sorta thing happens I usually get both. ;o) Both are nice though, I have several sunburst guitars, not one natural. WHen Epiphone came out with the awesome (IMO) ES339 guitars, I got a sunburst, and ebony, and later a cherry which is the one I wanted most in the first place but would have had to wait. I gave my Ebony to my nephew, so now I only have two ES339's. And they both get play time. I miss my very nice Ebony... Lots of fingerprints on those tho..lol

19. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    The VM is a great Thinline, one of my favorites! I replaced the pots with 500K, the pickups sound good to me but I Haven't played original WRHB in a long time. An old friend had an original 72 that played like a dream and sounded great, but I haven't touched it for over 20 years, same with our rhythm guitarist's original Tele Custom with a WRHB in the neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.