Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Thinlines

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by IMadeYouReadThis, Jul 4, 2018.

1. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis TDPRI Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Parker, CO, United States
    I am torn. There are 2 different thinlines (+1 thinline esque) I'm looking into from Squier. Ideally, I was wanting a butterscotch thinline with a black pickguard, WRHB in neck, and Tonerider TRT1 Vintage Plus in bridge.

The Squier VM Custom has the wide range pickup in the neck and a Duncan(ish) single coil in bridge. It is the cheapest of the 3, but it isn't a true thinline and doesn't come in a particularly desirable finish.

The Squier CV Thinline was my original choice. It has 2 typical SC pickups (very similar to the Toneriders) and needs no modification. I love the look and sound, but I already have guitars in a similar finish (variety is nice) and it doesn't have the WRHB that I love. The neck isn't as thick as I like either.

Finally, there is the Squier VM 72 Thinline. It is the most expensive of the 3, as I would need to make about $90 worth of modifications. It has the butterscotch finish and a WRHB neck pickup. The neck is the chunkiest of the 3 and feels amazing (somewhat thick, soft V). I would need to put in an actual tele bridge and the pickup (about $70 + shipping) and a new pickguard (about $10 + shipping). I don't even know if it is practical or possible to put in a tele bridge (string spacing, etc.) It's also risky, as I suck at soldering and cutting the pickguard to accommodate the bridge might be sketchy. If it all worked out though, I would have my ideal tele. Is it worth the investment and risk, or do I settle for one of the first two?

Here are parts I would use:

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Wilkinson-Compensated-Tele-Bridge-Brass-Saddles_p_873.html

https://stratosphereparts.com/new-p...e-72-thinline-ri-telecaster-tele-black-1-ply/

http://www.macdaddymusicstore.com/tonerider-trt1-vintage-plus-tele-bridge-pickup-right-hand-stagger/

2. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Welcome to this forum.

There is no Squier VM '72 thinline in butterscotch, but a very nice natural look (which I prefer over BSB any day). That particular tele is in my top 5!

WRHB are a lot wider than any tele bridge I have ever seen, so the routing would always remain visible.

There is another route you could follow. I remember seeing some WRHB adapter rings, and if you can't find any, you could probably find somebody that could make you a metal plate with a tele bridge pickup cutout.

3. IMadeYouReadThis

Jul 4, 2018
    If I put an adapter ring over the routing, would it be flush with the body? If so, I would be able to put a traditional tele bridge over it, right?

4. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    All the adapter rings I know go on top of the body, so it would not be flush with the body.

If you really want that combination SH with a WRHB in the neck, I think a custom body would be more what you're looking for (but that will probably be at a different price level).

Or you could start with any '69 Thinline body (probably routed for a single coil in the neck) and reroute that for a WRHB sized pickup. At least then you'll have the traditional bridge to start with. Any routing defects could be hidden behind the pickguard.

By the looks of it, I think you'll need a custom made pickguard too...

5. IMadeYouReadThis

Jul 4, 2018
    If I kept the bridge completely stock, would I be able to put brass saddles on. Not sure where to get them, as I haven't found very many brass saddles for strat-style bridges. There are "Killer Brass Saddles" from Killer Guitar Parts, but I don't feel like forking out $80 for some saddles.

6. IMadeYouReadThis

Jul 4, 2018
    On second though, I might make this a slide guitar. In that case, do the frets even matter? The strings never actually makes contact with them.

7. DocScotter

DocScotter TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2018
    San Diego
    I dunno, as more of a solo performer who plays a lot of slide in open G, there are almost no songs that I play where I don't fret. But most of my slide playing is on a 1931 National Duolian resonator acoustic which I also play in standard tuning with frets that are almost non-existent. It's my most gigged guitar.

I recently bought a Squier Classic Vibe Thinline and it's really inspired me to start playing again including building my own tube amp out of an old projector which I've relayed here:
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/hola-yall-amos.843860/

I'm really enjoying playing this guitar in its stock form but will be doing the 4-way switch mod soon and maybe adding a Brenner Piezo system. My advice is to just find a guitar that inspires you and play the heck out of it. It beats obsessing over finding the perfect guitar although I admit that that is kinda fun too!

8. IMadeYouReadThis

Jul 4, 2018
    Sorry, I posted this on the wrong thread. I meant to post it on my thread about an esquire build. Though, great post.
    lol...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.