Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Thinline 72 vs Squier Tele Custom

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by tentillum, Jan 13, 2018.

1. tentillum

tentillum TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Victoria, BC
    Howdy Teleneighbours!

I recently sold my MIM Jazzmaster and now I have the $$—and the space—for a new axe. I'm interested in picking up a new Squier Thinline 72 (in natural) and have heard great things about it. I already own a Squier Tele Custom—from 2010, with dual humbuckers (not wide-range)—and have a couple of questions...

For those of you familiar with both, what kind of tonal differences can I expect between the solidbody Custom HH and the semi-hollow Thinline with wide-range 'buckers? Am I correct in thinking that the wide-range pickups in the Thinline will be brighter than the 'buckers in the Custom? And perhaps a bit more mid-rangy thanks to the ash semi-hollow body?

For those of you that have owned your Thinline 72 for a while, what do you love about it, and what bugs you?

Thanks!

Ten

2. doctor_capleson

doctor_capleson Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2014
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    I have a MIM '72 Tele Deluxe with the "wide range" humbuckers in it. They're not vintage-correct spec, but still brighter than a typical HB, and a little lower output.

tentillum likes this.

3. Kreepy

Kreepy Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2018
    Maud, Oklahoma
    I have a MIM 72 deluxe. I'd say save your money and buy a fender over a squire.

Pixies2005 likes this.

4. tentillum

tentillum TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Victoria, BC
    Well, I had a chance to try one today. Given my positive experiences with other CV and VM models, I was expecting the same from the Thinline.

Looks great in the flesh and the neck is very nice indeed.

The string spacing at the neck pickup could certainly be better:

IMG_6203.JPG

The biggest surprise were the pickups. Playing through a Blues Junior, the neck and bridge sounded very good on their own, very lively and articulate. Great! In the middle position, however, the volume went through the roof. I mean, more than twice as loud as the neck or bridge alone. Not sure what’s going on there.

Overall, the guitar would have benefited greatly from a proper setup and I’m certainly not about to judge this model on a single sample. I’m still keen to get my hands on another, but they’re a pretty rare beast around here.

5. teleaddicted

teleaddicted Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Nov 5, 2013
    Roma Urbe
    ^^^This!

Yeah! Squier VM '72 Telecaster Thinlines are very nice guitars.

Yes, the string spacing on the Squier is the narrow one:

Squier VM '72 Telecaster Thinline (Crafted in Indonesia) : 52mm spacing - 9.5" radius fretboard - five screws fixed bridge - four screws neck plate - recessed headstock truss-rod nut - more or less 500 euros

Fender Classic Series '72 Telecaster Thinline (Made in Mexico) : 54mm spacing - 9.5" radius fretboard - three screws fixed bridge - three-bolt neck plate with Micro-Tilt - bullet truss-rod nut - more or less 1000 euros

Fender American Vintage '72 Telecaster Thinline : 56mm spacing (?) - 7.25" radius fretboard - three screws fixed bridge - three-bolt neck plate with Micro-Tilt - bullet truss-rod nut - more or less 2000 euros (if you can find one here!)

I bought one in October 2017 - a 2016 Squier VM '72 Telecaster Thinline - in natural finish.
    Been waiting almost four years for one to come by and try it (I don't buy instruments online).
    I had already tried the MIM one, but the WRHB where sooo muddy and the price sooo high I could happily pass on it.
    The dealer said the present Squier VM '72 Telecaster Thinline lineup sports the same WRHB as the american one, but that's something that's got to be verified - no such news on the Fender site and the "american" reissue one has been dropped from their catalog since 2014 IIRC (maybe he was talking about the Deluxe).

2017-10-28 14.58.07-2.jpg

tentillum likes this.

6. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I always thought this was a beautiful guitar, but I'm just not an HB guy. So I went MIM Deluxe with SC.

I was really gassing for a TL, but the Squier you're looking at only gets great reviews. Also, every one I've seen in-store has looked fantastic. Simply a great natural finish on it, and they pay a lot of attention to grain.

tentillum likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.