Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Tele w/Humbuckers or other tele w/humbuckers

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Coryd, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Coryd

Coryd TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    Florida
    Hey everyone,

I'm a tele guy and i just love the tele! I primarily use a Squier J5 as my main axe. I want to pickup another tele with humbuckers soon as i use my J5 at church (standard tuning) and in my band (drop C# tuning, clip of my band below for musical style reference) and i'd like to have one for my band and the other for church playing. I definitely want humbuckers and have been looking at possibly a Jim Root tele in white, another J5, or maybe an LTD TE-200 in white.

I have played the J5, and the Jim Root, but never played an LTD TE-200 so i don't know how those stack up. I know that i would replace the pickups of the Jim Root if i got one of those. I do love my J5 stock. IIRC, i did like the neck of the Jim Root a bit better than my J5.

Anyone's opinion on pros and cons, or which they have had experience with is MOST welcome!

Thanks everyone!

Here is a clip of my band that i recorded in my home studio for the kind of style music we play: https://www.dropbox.com/s/51ppft0s44p3f4u/New Project - New Idea 1.mp3?dl=0

2. Coryd

Coryd TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    Florida

3. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    I've got a J5, myself (pictured in my avatar) - love it.

When Fender released the gold version, I seriously considered getting one just because (1) I liked my original J5 so much, (2) love the gold color, and (3) I'm a sucker for any Tele body with binding.

If you really love the J5, maybe get another in the color that you don't have.

OR.....
    There's also the Chris Shiflett model:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-chris-shiflett-telecaster-deluxe

Or maybe something like this FMT:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...tion-custom-telecaster-fmt-hh-electric-guitar

4. CyrusF

CyrusF Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2016
    Illinois
    I have a Blacktop Tele I love, (replaced the stock pickups with Duncans) and you may be able to track down a used one for a reasonable price. Also check out the Michael Kelly 1950s series, and the G&L ASAT Deluxe, which is an HH T-Style with humbuckers. The Tribute series is reasonably affordable and we'll reviewed. Of course, and Tele single coil or otherwise could be fitted with some SC-sized hums and be ready to rock, so if you find a good deal on a standard Tele and don't mind doing the work, that may be the way to go!

5. Coryd

Coryd TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    Florida
    I do love my J5! I just was maybe wanting something different, but hey...if ain't broke...

Like you suggested...it may just be best for me to get another one. I may go with gold though and throw a black pickguard on it as i have a black J5 now.

Thanks for your input!

6. Coryd

Coryd TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    Florida
    I've never tried a Blacktop Tele, however i think a local store has one. I may have to go play it and see if i like it.
    Thanks for the input!

CyrusF likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.