Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Tele Custom parts upgrades?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by IndoCustom, Jul 19, 2017.

1. IndoCustom

IndoCustom NEW MEMBER!

Jul 19, 2017
    US
    Hello,

This is my first post after lurking with no account for years, so sorry if I break protocol. I have an Indonesian Squier Tele Custom that I bought used from my uncle when I was 16 for $80, and although it is my favorite guitar to play, I feel like I could upgrade a few components for better tone and functionality. Obviously the pickups will be replaced at some point, and one of the pots doesn't turn off all the way, but I'm wondering if any of y'all have had luck improving tone to your Squiers with minor modifications such as replacing the stock nut with a bone nut, installing a new bridge or new saddles, or changing the wiring. Also, for those who have replaced a bridge and/or saddles on an Indonesian Squier, where can I find replacements of the proper size and spacing? Thanks for any help, dudes.

Cheers,
    Christopher

2. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    IMHO the cheapest upgrades are
    1) playing with the pickup height (free)
    2) new nut (very cheap)
    3) electronics (don't really change the sound, unless you chose other potentiometer or capacitator values) (cheap)
    4) a little more expensive saddles (measure twice, buy once) (could be a little more expensive, but not overly so)

On a Squier Tele Custom (I suppose you mean the one with two regular sized humbuckers), I'd stop after 2 or 3 (in your case I'd change them too). Normally I only change electronics if they fail on me.

The pickups of the Custom had to grow on me for a while, but now I like them as they are. but you might have another opinion, and you could change them too, if you'd like, but that might be more expensive than you think. You would not be the first to embark on an endless search trip for the right sound, and never come home again.

If you've played this guitar for so long you might consider adding another guitar to your collection, and only do minor upgrades on your Squier. Or find you a better suited guitar and sell the Squier Custom.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.