Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Stratocasters with Maple Fretboards - where are they?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Sep 9, 2017.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Browsing through craigslist and eBay listings for Squier Stratocasters it seems that >90% of them have rosewood fretboards. Why is this?

2. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Bad taste in fretboards for Strats?

hellopike likes this.

3. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    Owned both the 50s maple fretboard/neck Classic Vibe Strat and the 60s rosewood CV and soon gave away the latter. It was noticeably thinner and darker sounding. The maple has something special going on - snappy and resonant. Just my 2cents.

Randypttt likes this.

4. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    A walk through my local music store(s) will usually show about a 70%-30% or even 80%-20% favor of rosewood. That's likely where it starts.

awasson and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

5. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    Maple Yes!!!

Route67 likes this.

6. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    Not sure, but I have two of them with maple fretboards. One is a MIM Squier and another is an older one made overseas. I always wanted to try the rosewood.

7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I've been searching online for used Fenders with maple fretboards and there just seems to be an abundance of rosewood fretboard instruments in comparison. Perhaps this has always been the case, but I just never noticed it.

8. 2fingers

2fingers TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2017
    Anywhere but here
    Okay - without starting the usual flame war here :lol: I postulate that the Rosewood fretboard is selected with a softening of the bridge position in mind? I have maple (which I chose because I play slide and my other axe is a 53-year old ES-345 knock-off with Rosewood.) I wanted a *little* brighter and thinner sound so the s/c-maple combination works for me... Hafta say I love it in every position but the bridge (too shrill for me).

9. 2fingers

2fingers TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2017
    Anywhere but here
    Okay - without starting the usual flame war here :lol: I postulate that the Rosewood fretboard is selected with a softening of the bridge position in mind? I have maple (which I chose because I play slide and my other axe is a 53-year old ES-345 knock-off with Rosewood.) I wanted a *little* brighter and thinner sound so the s/c-maple combination works for me... Hafta say I love it in every position but the bridge (too shrill for me).

10. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I just got a squire lefty tele with a maple cap fretboard from Long & Mcquade a week ago

P1011794.JPG

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

11. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    Bullets and Affinity Squires are mostly rosewood boards. If you move up a bit to the Deluxe Squire Stratocaster, they seem to be predominately maple boards. Don't know about the Squire Standard? not to familiar with them. Here is my Deluxe. Platefire
    Squier Deluxe Stratocaster 020.jpg

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

12. seekir

seekir Tele-Holic

Jan 7, 2007
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Not a strat, but my new-used Squier CV 60's BSB is a maple neck. I bought it because of the beautiful quarter-sawn maple neck really, though some disapprove of the heavy finish on these. It's my only maple neck. My 2005 Squier Standard strat has a rosewood board.

SquierCV50BSB1.jpg Qsawn1.jpg

13. dimojoe

dimojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oct 10, 2012
    Northern Il
    I was on the Squier webpage the other day and noticed they don't offer maple necks on any of their guitars until you get up to somewhere around the Deluxe line.

edit: I checked again and you can get a maple neck on the Affinity series but not on the Bullet series. Every used Squier I have ever seen has had a rosewood board.

14. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Only maple fretboard Squiers I've seen are Classic Vibes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.