Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Standard Telecaster: Electronics Question

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by djh22, Jul 16, 2017.

1. djh22

djh22 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2012
    VA
    I recently acquired this 2000 Squier for little more than my time.

upload_2017-7-16_20-51-43.jpeg

The plastic nut was the first order of business, So I opened the parts box ...

Well, some brass caught my eye, and after a "bubba mod" I now have brass compensated saddles in the bridge.

I also remembered the pair of Alexander Pribor Blues Tele pickups that I always liked, so they're in there now.

Since the jack was falling out, and there happened to be an ElectroSocket jack cup and a Switchcraft jack in the parts box, they fit right in.

Figured since I was replacing stuff, and again, they were in the parts box, I'd go with full size CTS pots and a Switchcraft 3-way switch.

Well, the pots are a tight fit, but the switch is a no-go (as was the CRL switch). I didn't realize that the control rout would be a different depth.

So my question - Can anyone recommend something other than this Chinese 3-way switch? upload_2017-7-16_21-23-18.jpeg

(FWIW, the parts box was devoid of guitar nuts or material.)

Thanks!

2. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Do you own a chisel?

3. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Or dremel. I’d make it fit. Nice color.

4. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Holic

Nov 26, 2014
    London
    Doesnt the CRL switch fit if the solder lugs are bent at right angles?

5. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    A Forstner drill bit would make room for one quickly. Just be careful not to drill out too much. A chisel would work too, but it would take longer. A router would be more precise.

I'd modify the cavity so that CRL or Oak switches would work. It doesn't have to be pretty.

I don't know of any low profile Tele type switches that would fit other than the import ones which seem to work fine. Maybe just buy another one of those.

6. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

The Squier Std Teles are full thickness bodies, I don't remember the upgrade switches not fitting

I had to bend the lugs fitting one into a thinner bodied Affinity Tele, but not a Standard.

7. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    I redid a Squier Standard with a CRL and had to deepen the control cavity. If you have a router and a top bearing pattern bit ( or a friend that does) it doesn't get any easier. The bearing on the bit just rides the wall of the cavity and you take it down to 1.5" depth, which should leave you 1/4" of wood remaining underneath. Make sure the body's full thickness. If not, what was it that didn't work about that original switch anyway?
    Rex

8. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    BTW, you got a great looking guitar with an unusual body color and a stunning rosewood neck. I find these benefit greatly from a little fret work but love the neck contour.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.