Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier: Standard tele versus Classic Vibe

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by FatRosie, Oct 26, 2013.

1. FatRosie

FatRosie Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2009
    Massachusetts
    So I've finally decided that I want a Squier telecaster. Needless to say, I'm on a budget (or I guess I'd get a Fender).

I'm trying to decide between the Squier Classic Vibe telecaster or the Squier Standard tele. The Standard is cheaper, of course. In either case, I want a rosewood fretboard (I like the look of maple fretboards, but don't like the feel).

Is the Classic Vibe worth the extra $$$?

Oberhaz likes this.

2. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    Oh yes, the CVC is a fantastic guitar.

Fender Bob likes this.

3. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2004
    Anderson, IN
    Yes. Yes it is. Buy it.

4. Reeek

Reeek Tele-Holic

The CVC is a much better guitar than the standard Squier. You are approaching MIM territory minus the neck profile with the CVC as far as overall quality, tone and potential playability go.

5. amckenzie27

amckenzie27 TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Classic Vibe pickups are surprisingly good. Haven't plate a Squire standard, but I would recommend the CV any day to anyone.

6. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    As has been said so many times, make every effort to try before you buy. Play both and see which one speaks to you. I have a Standard, a CV Thinline, and a CV 50's BSB that I ended up putting a Squier Standard neck on. IMHO, the Standard neck is the best of the lot. It feels a little fuller to me, but it isn't chunky and fat. I can play it for hours with no discomfort. Everybody's different though...

The build quality of the CV line tends to be a little better, but my Standard is very good as well. The pickups in the CV guitars are more vintage sounding, and those in the Standard are a little hotter. It depends what you like.

The bottom line is, these are all good guitars. Give the Standard a good set up and it will serve you well. Many of the CV's are very playable right out of the box, and the vintage sounding pickups are quite good. Take your time and try several, then get the one that feels best to you. Good luck!

Oberhaz likes this.

7. moonman2

moonman2 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Considering the only CV tele with a rosewood board is the CVC model; I'd hold out of a used one if you can.
    - You should be able to get a used one for a similar price to a new standard (maybe even cheaper).

Personally, I'd sooner have the CVC for the double bound sunburst body alone.

8. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 28, 2010
    N.Ireland
    If you are on a budget (who isn't) buy used to get what you want,rather than spending the extra just to get new and it's your second choice.

9. FatRosie

FatRosie Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Comparing specs, I see that the Classic Vibe has a "Modern 'C' shape" neck, versus the "'C' shape" neck on the standard. From what I can tell, the modern C shape is flatter (thinner?) than the other. So in theory, the Classic Vibe neck would be flatter/thinner than the Standard neck? I tend to like thinner necks, which could be in favor of the Classic Vibe.

10. Johnnyb4894

Johnnyb4894 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2012
    Wesley Chapel Fl.
    I had both,spend the extra$$ and get the CV, You won't be disappointed..

11. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Yep. Comparing those two series is like asking if an MIA Standard is better than an MIM Standard. Yeah they are but only you can justify the price difference. All I can tell you is that I own a CVC and it's a great playing guitar.

12. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

Jun 12, 2010
    Jersey
    I had a Sq STD in high school ('99) and changed the pickups with the same ones that come stock in the 52 reissue a year or two after buying it. STDS play good if your change the tuners, pickups and pots.

As for the classic vibe, you get a CV Tele you don't need to do the upgrades.

13. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

Sep 27, 2009
    out yonder!
    I've had a Standard since 2009 and love it. The only mods I've done to it is changed the output jack for a Switchcraft and a Tusk nut. As someone above said, the Standard has the best neck of all Squiers. My brother has a CVC and It has a slimmer neck profile. Try to play both before you buy. IMO the CV's are not worth the extra money.

Oberhaz likes this.

14. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Holic

May 2, 2008
    san diego
    I dont like the cv neck finish. thats why i like std so much more. Its a very natural, raw neck

Oberhaz likes this.

15. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2008
    Antioch, IL
    I have a 2002 Standard that I really love. I have, however, changed a number of things on it. First was the neck...it was a fairly chunky C, which I liked a lot, but it was only 40mm wide at the nut. Some research showed that some of the Indonesian-made Std's. from about 1999-2003 had the narrower necks, so if you're thinking of a used Std., keep this in mind. I put a new bone nut on it with wider string spacing, but it still felt too narrow overall, so I bought a Mighty Mite neck that was very close to the same C profile, but 42mm wide...mo' betta'.

I also replaced the pickups with GFS '60s hot repro in the bridge and their vintage repro in the neck...the originals were OK, but only OK. The pots were dime-sized (which really isn't a problem) but 500k ohm which to me makes single coils too bright, so I went with full sized 250K Alphas and a .022 Mojotone Dijon cap that I had laying about.

Last mod was worthwhile no matter what Tele you get...a Electrosocket jack.

Total expenditure came out to around $300 (the guitar was $140) and for me it plays and sounds great. That said, if the CVC's were around at that time, I would have grabbed one of them in a heartbeat...I've played 'em and they are terrific. Only mods I'd make would be brass saddles and an Electrosocket.

So while you might be able to get a Std. for around $150 and it is certainly a decent guitar, if you can get a CVC for the mid $200s, that's the way Id go.

Sorry for the verbosity!

16. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    I went to the local music store to check out one of the CV Squiers that everyone was raving about. I thought it real nice, but I decided to try the MIM burst hanging up next to it. Well, it was even better. Solid feeling, smooth and easy to play. Just for larfs, I thought I'd try the cheapest one, the BSB Affinity. I couldn't believe how well it played! I really like the thinner lighter body, and the neck was just right for me. I could afford the MIM, but it was the Affinity that spoke to me. One happy Affinity owner :)

So to echo what others have said, get thee to a guitar shop and play a few. Buy the one that speaks to you - don't let them go out back and get another one.

Kev Reg likes this.

17. teletubby63

teletubby63 TDPRI Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Georgia
    I'm in the same boat as deciding on which one to buy, if the CV's have a slimmer neck profile then I will buy one!

18. 6x47

6x47 Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2007
    Northern ON
    Currant production CV (with the pine body) is very good, I have two, contemplating another.
    I play lefty but I bought a third in righty for people to play when they stop by.

I should ask Fender for a commission as people tryin' are buyin'.

19. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Honestly, save up another 100 bucks and buy the Fender MIM Satin finished standard. It has a rosewood board and it's a Fender.

rich815 likes this.

20. FatRosie

FatRosie Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Thanks to all for the great advice. I will definitely go to GC and try 'em out. Probably the feel of the neck will be the deciding factor, but...

You know, when I look on eBay at used, I'm surprised that some Fender teles (used) are pretty affordable. So I'm weighing options, for sure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.