Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Standard neck

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Mechanic, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

Image1533832581.489190.jpg

The above pic shows the fret wear on an ‘08 neck. Love the guitar as it is my 1st serious guitar. But the frets are not quite shot. Do I just find another neck or should this be my Ginny pig for a fret replacement or level and crown?

2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Tele-Afflicted

May 21, 2006
    SPace
    If it's unplayable now and you do your research and proceed carefully, I don't see how you could make things worse. You'd still have the (still unplayable) guitar as a keepsake.

If the guitar is playable (if not ideal) now, then it is possible you will leave it worse off. But again, doing your research and proceeding carefully will help make that less of an issue.

I don't know how much a re-fret would cost compared to a new neck, but either one is likely to cost more than the guitar itself is worth (not counting your sentiment, of course). So why not practice doing it yourself, and if that doesn't work out, get new frets or new neck, or hang the guitar on your wall and get another guitar?

3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY

4. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I'd just go to a luthier... as long as you don't need a refret (and this one doesn't), it should be very affordable, certainly if you like the guitar.

If I'd want to learn how to level and crown, I wouldn't do it on a Squier neck (I like them too much)

To be honest, I have seen many Squier guitars, and I have only ever seen such wear on standards... (tele and strat), never on CV's or Affinity for instance. Is it the fretwire, or is it the fact that they get played a lot? I don't know.

5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    L&C is the way to go for minimum cost. DIY if you are a tool user, otherwise a pro job. DIY isn't difficult and the link above is excellent.

A new neck or a fret replacement will cost a lot more.

6. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

Just as an side note. Both of my Squiers are strung with chrome .010” flatwounds. They are hard strings. Think chrome piston rings. Both guitars get played a lot! But the Std. is the older and may have soft fret wire. I’m not a gigging player as I’m quite shy, but love the mental exercise. I have a few close pals that play together 2-3 times a month.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.