Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier standard colors

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by lonepalmdawg, Feb 21, 2017.

1. lonepalmdawg

lonepalmdawg TDPRI Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Powder Springs, GA
    What colors have the Squier standard telecasters been available in?
    There's a black with white guard maple neck and a black blackguard rw neck on guitar center used. Wondering how old they are? I like the vintage blond that's lighter note the mustardy yellow in the new offerings. Curious as to what else is out there used

2. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    I think ALL colors are blah lately. Black and white are cool but black and white guards are boring to me. Red, Bsb, blonde, sunburst, natural wood .....yawn.

My favorite colors are ones that aren't typical. Shell pink, sonic blue, green, purple.....Blue guards, tortoise shell, whatever is flashy.

3. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    A lake placid blue standard would be nice...

4. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Holic

Oct 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    <---Mine is CAR. Yeah. I know. But it started out as a Standard.

leonard d rock likes this.

5. Rookery

Rookery TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2017
    England
    What's with Squier these days? You can have an Affinity in many colours, the bullet range seems to have disappeared and it appears that you can only get a Standard in one of two colours. Are they dropping the Standard range?

6. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I wish they made the Affinity in a limited colour set (black, BSB and Sunburst) and kept the other colours for the Standard range.
    As far as I know all Bullet telecasters are FSR.

The Squier Standard is underrated in my opinion. I hope they don't drop the line. I do expect a renewal of the configurations in 2017, to cope with the rosewood export restrictions.

lonepalmdawg and darkwaters like this.

7. Rookery

Rookery TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2017
    England
    I recently bought & then sold a butterscotch affinity because I felt the neck a little narrow. Still on the lookout for a good, used standard any colour except black.

lonepalmdawg likes this.

8. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

Here's mine going thru a Rev Willie stage. IMG_2862.JPG

lonepalmdawg likes this.

9. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    There seems to be no Squier Standard teles available in my area. The Affinity now comes in competition orange, race red, race green, and slick silver. I almost bought a slick silver the other day; on the website it looks grey but in person looks refined, outstanding with subtle sparkle. The Affinities are always well available in my neck of the woods. Haven't seen a Standard for a very long time.

10. lonepalmdawg

Oct 19, 2011
    Powder Springs, GA
    I may have to bite the bullet and buy new. GC and local CL have no standards and they rarely stay around long. I was asking about older colors like a "galactic purple" being discussed in main tele forum right now.

11. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

Look at Musicians friend for used or out of the box return which is how I bought mine. Had showed a burst and I got the antique blond ( what they called it a few years ago). And I fell in love with it.

lonepalmdawg likes this.

12. lonepalmdawg

Oct 19, 2011
    Powder Springs, GA
    Will look into that, Mechanic. Thanks

13. Con-Tiki!

Con-Tiki! TDPRI Member

Feb 22, 2011
    pittsburgh PA
    i built an esquire using a '99 Squier standard body. It's british racing green, and the envy of my friends..
    [​IMG]

14. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    Wow....yeah that is a sweet color man!

15. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

Mar 7, 2007
    the basement
    Yeah the Long & McQuade store in my town had no Standards in stock and only one Affinity tele in black hanging on the wall. I never ever see a used Squier tele for sale around here. It's always Affinity or Bullet black strats for $100....:confused:

I'd love a Lake Placid Blue Affinity with the rosewood fingerboard but I am afraid I'll never see one in person. :cry:

Route67 likes this.

16. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Not just the envy of your friends... I think that looks great!

I wish the Standards got the "nice colour treatment" instead of the Affinities.

17. Con-Tiki!

Con-Tiki! TDPRI Member

Feb 22, 2011
    pittsburgh PA
    thanks.
    someone asked about the neck, it's from an '83 Japanese Squier Bullet. Really nice, fatter then the US Bullet necks. I'd put them on everything if I could afford it.

the shift away from the standard line has to be intentional. Apart from how difficult it is to put and ashtray bridge on one, they are great values. I think that model probably cuts into the Classic vibe/mim fender market. Really, when you look at the price points, there's probably not much room.
    I have a whole thing about Fender that I'm not going to get into, creeping prices and endless micro-variations on two themes..
    anyway, the Standard Squiers have always been my favorite.
    and, this one's green.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Route67 and nicod98 like this.

18. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    Would be nice to read your thoughts "on creeping prices and endless micro-variations on two themes" but maybe it's self explanatory. Good insight imo.

19. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    There might be more people here that want some "new blood" in the telecaster configurations...

I liked the VM series when they had configurations like the SH, the SSH, the custom (with regular 2 humbuckers), the custom II (2 P90's) and the Special (with a jazzmaster pickup). I would love to find a Squier standard junior too. I don't really like the look, but we had a dual humbucker archtop with set neck too, and some nice chambered tele's, ... We even had the Joe Trohman HSH and single humbucker Avril Lavigne and Deryck Whibley -inspired telecasters on Squier.

Those days seem to be long gone now. Today I see the Squier range having "only" classic models. In essence: 50's, 60's, '69 thinline and '72 custom, deluxe and thinline models.
    The Fender range contains a lot of comparable classics in different price ranges and quality levels, and a few nice configurations, like the Fender Modern player which gives us a dual P90 thinline and an HSS telecaster... (which I both like), and a Deluxe Nashville model (love the looks of the blue one).
    Squier/Fender please give us not only some nice new colours for the Squier standard range, but also some more variations (to create some fresh GAS). If you'd release a Nashville Squier model, or a blacktop inspired Squier (dual HB with classic control panel, so not based on the 72 deluxe models) in some nice vibrant colours, you might have a few winners. Also a lot of copy-brands make telecaster shaped dual F-hole telecasters with a nice flamed maple top and two humbuckers for a modern sound...
    But please no more than one or two new models a year, so as many of us as possible can afford to buy them. ;)

Hell, Con-Tiki! is not the only one looking for new variations... :cool:

lonepalmdawg, Grux and Route67 like this.

20. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

Only Squier standards offered by MF & GC are Antique Yellow and a Red burst both with rosewood necks. Quality is ok as the reviews there indicate.
    I like mine with .010" flatwounds. That's my story and I'm stricken to it.

Route67 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.