Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier SQ Telecaster w A series Headstock

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by HondaKiller, Dec 20, 2013.

1. HondaKiller

HondaKiller TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Philly
    Wanted a tele real bad. I have this Triumph Telecaster made in Korea that you can see on my other posts . As cool as it is, I wanted something from 80s Japan

Here is my new SQ Tele with the odd headstock as found on A series teles before they started to put the serials on them like in the E series I had a similar A series strat not too long ago and it was in the same boat.

Anyway, she is a tone monster! I'm amazed the quality of this guitar. Great flamey neck one day I will pull off the neck to get the date but I don't wanna mess with it right now because it plays too good. Since my A series strat was dated 84, I'm guessing this is also 84. If it had the proper SQ headstock with TELECASTER in bold, it would prob be 83. Regardless of logo, this one is a pure beast Don't know much about the tuners......

Attached Files:

2. drvoodoo

drvoodoo Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2011
    Ekedalen

3. lowbrow

lowbrow TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2006

4. lboorse2

lboorse2 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Philly 'Burbs
    I have an SQ Strat that I bought back in 93. I'm still amazed when I pull it out to play. The SQ series ended sometime in late 84 (my Strat has a neck date of 7/84). There was definitely some crossover.

Not sure if it was all of them, but some A series Teles got the serial on the bridge plate - I'm not sure, but that could be part of the reason the serials didn't make it to the neck like the E Series. (And there are some out there documented with both the SQ serial on the neck plate and a different A serial on the bridge!). As well as these guitars were constructed, it was still mass production, so mix-ups with parts and such happened.

It makes them all that more interesting in my opinion.

If you haven't already, take a look at 21frets.com. It's mostly JV series related, but there is a small SQ section that has some really great info on the SQ serialed guitars.

5. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    Nice, but as you probably know, it's not what is generally considered an SQ series, which had the CBS style logo with large black telecaster print, and vintage style ashtray bridge with 3 steel plated brass saddles. I've never seen one like yours that had the SQ neckplate and 70s style 6-way bridge. Most of them came with the heavy plate bridge with Elite-style saddles. Is yours string through?

6. HondaKiller

HondaKiller TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Philly
    I had 2 SQ 3 bolt Strats and they were both great. I also saw 4 bolt SQ Strats out there that are basically the same as an A series, which I also had, The 4 bolt SQ Strat and my SQ Tele are transitional guitars....they came right after the 83-84 SQ run of guitars, and right before the A series. That is why the headstock logo is not typical of the SQ, but more like the A series

All Japanese Squiers are just cool and most play well!

7. HondaKiller

HondaKiller TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Philly
    It's definitely an SQ series, just not from that first batch of SQ Strats and Teles where they had the guy in the cowboy hat on the advertisements. I think that batch was based on 70s appointments.... Big headstocks on the Strats I have to find that pic...cool advertisement. They were transitioning to the A series, and then the E series, probably had a bunch of SQ neck plates around and used em up. I've seen a bunch of others out there and Rockape has confirmed this for me on Strat Talk It's definitely SQ but the transitional version. IMO just as good. heck. They r all good ( squier japan) My A series strat was based on a 57 strat I think it had st357 on the neck if I recall. Some were also 62 based guitars. I believe the 4 bolt SQ Strats were the same way ( standard SQ stratwas 3 bolt) I don't know anything about my tele except that it rocks and that it's basically the same as an A series.....which are great guitars. Will open her up down the road for a peek It strings through the back

8. HondaKiller

HondaKiller TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Philly
    Here's the traditional SQ tele. Great ad

Attached Files:

9. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    I have a Squier SQ strat that I LOVE, so I would love to find a matching tele.

10. HondaKiller

HondaKiller TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Philly
    I had 2 white SQ Strats w rosewood at the same time. Had to sell them both but will be getting another hopefully soon
    I agree they are fantastic. Can't imagine what a JV plays like if the SQs r so good

11. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio
    I bought a tele just like this back in the 80s and for the life of me I couldn't remember anything about it until I just saw yours. I don't even remember what I did with it. I remember now it having the serial # on the neck plate and a really thin one ply non beveled pickguard. Mine was black just like yours . Thanks for helping me identify it. And yes mine was a real player also.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.