Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Squier Short-Scale Bronco Bass?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Dismalhead, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Hey all,

I'm an 75% guitarist, 25% bassist. Have back issues so a few years ago I sold my heavy G&L and got myself a Squier VM Short Scale Jaguar bass. I've replaced the pickups with MIA Fenders and am very happy with it. I use the P-Bass pickup almost exclusively.

So a couple of shops have used SS Bronco basses for a hundred bucks apiece. Both are a bit of a distance away though. I really like that they have maple fretboards, and it looks like with some minor modifications I could put in just a single P-Bass pickup.

Questions:

Does anyone have one? How does it play?

Has anyone played one who has also played the VM Short Scale Jaguar bass?

Do you think I could replace the single coil guitar-type pickup with a P-Bass pickup? Anything I might be missing?

Does anyone know how it's routed under the pickguard?

Here's a link:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...MI0KLenfO-1QIVx4F-Ch36qA-cEAYYBCABEgIjw_D_BwE

2. tonyv77

tonyv77 Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    No experience. Thinking of the same!e thing as you.

Played the VM SS Jag. Nice bit of gear. Actually fun to l!ay as a guitarist.

Yes, you can, just might need a forstner bit or a router. If I can do it, you can too. Would need to modify the pickgaurd though or make a custom one.

But if you already have the Jag, wouldn't this just be redundant? Maybe go for a different style pickup?

Dismalhead likes this.

3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    Got one. Compared to the VM (32" scale?), and as a guitarist, the 30" wins for getting around the fretboard. But the sound is different, due to the floppy strings, and the ill-matched pickup. How to correct?:

Removed the 6 pole strat bridge pickup (if you aren't aware, its standard for the Bronco) and replaced with an Artec dual rails blades humbucker pickup. Put heavier gauge flatwound strings on it for higher tension, so it plays/feels like a 34" scale. This guitar helped me decide that a 30" scale can cut it.

Dismalhead likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I had an injury to my hand that made it hard to do the stretches on a 34 inch bass, so I bought a bronco. It's fine platform for modding, but I did a ton of stuff to the one I bought to get it where I wanted it. I was able to make use of stuff I had one hand, so it didn't cost much in that sense. The result is a very nice playing bass with a good sound

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/pimped-my-bronco-bass.701115/

You will have to do a bit of hole enlarging to get a p-bass pickup in there, and the spacing will be off, so you will have to freehand it and make a new pickguard as well. My hand healed up so I'm not playing it any more, but its a very good short scale bass now.
    [​IMG]

FerruleCat and Dismalhead like this.

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    You can fit a guitar sized humbucker in there.

Dismalhead likes this.

7. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Meister

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    Good bang-for-buck Bronco pickup replacements are the Dragonfire Duo Rails (no PG mod needed) and the Artec 4-string bass soapbar (PG hole mod required.) Given that those work well, I personally wouldn't go to the extra trouble to install a P-style split coil.

If I were modding a Bronco again today, I'd do the Artec soapbar and swap the bridge for a Hipshot vintage with .669 spacing.

The Bronco neck is actually pretty good -- a full profile with minimal finish.

Dismalhead likes this.

8. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I have one that I play out with a couple times a month. For $125 new it was hard to beat. I did make some key changes from stock config, though:

1. Had the nut dressed/slots lowered. Was way too high from factory.

2. Put D'Addario Chromes on it.

3. Most importantly, put a Curtis Novak pickup in it. He makes a scaled-down '51 P-Bass pickup that he markets for the Musicmaster Bass, which of course is the same body as the Bronco. Some very minor sanding to the pickup hole in the pickguard and it fit right in. The pickup did cost almost as much as the bass, but it turned it into a real working instrument, in my opinion. The Novak pickup and the flatwound strings give it a ton of muscle. Killer little bass, all for under $250, including the nut work.

4. Was going to replace the jack and Alpha pots, but Curtis told me that really wouldn't be worth the trouble, so left those stock.

http://www.curtisnovak.com/pickups/mm-bass-tb.shtml

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 1:11 PM
    Dismalhead likes this.

9. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Where can i get some of those black pointer knobs?

Thanks,
    Scott

10. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    i found them at the local hardware store as oven knobs

E5RSY likes this.

11. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    I used to have a Squier SS Jaguar bass, and actually used it to lay some tracks (of course, I did make a few modifications...).

What, specifically, don't you like about it?

12. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2004
    Canada

13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Don't get me wrong, I love my Jaguar bass. My reasoning for possibly heading in the Bronco direction is to:

1. Have a back up bass.
    2. It has a maple neck which I prefer over rosewood.
    3. Simplicity of just one pickup. I don't use the Jazz pickup much in my Jaguar. I've really fallen in love with the P-Bass pickup. At least for me, one good P-Bass pickup is the sound I'm after.
    4. I played a MIM Short Scale Mustang a few months ago at my local GC. It was awesome, but it was $600. Thinking a modded Squier Bronco would do the trick - so long as the neck feels good.
    5. It's so inexpensive I'm saying "why not?" to myself.

stinkey and Believer like this.

14. Gdolly

Gdolly Tele-Meister

May 9, 2017
    NC
    I have one and I really like it. I love the neck. I don't think you will be disappointed. I am considering a pickup swap. But that is all

Dismalhead likes this.

15. Gdolly

Gdolly Tele-Meister

May 9, 2017
    NC
    Where did you get the black pickguard?

16. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I made it--bought some three ply stock on amazon and made a template of plywood, then cut it on the router and added a bevel

Gdolly likes this.

17. Mr Green Genes

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    Ah- sounds like you're looking in the right direction. The J pickup is definitely a weak point in the Jaguar. I like the P pickup, but I did switch out the J, as well as the tuners, bridge and pots.

Post some pics when you get it, and let us know how you like it!

18. Mr Green Genes

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    I don't have the equipment for making my own, so I get them from WDMusic. They do nice work.

Gdolly likes this.

19. JelloCaster

JelloCaster TDPRI Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Boston
    I went pickguard-free for mine. Also, this is what the pickup rout looks like: MG5_20170813_220633.jpg

20. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    I'm GAS'ing HARD for one of these. There's a tuxedo black one, as well as a Torino red one at the local guitar shop...they come with a free setup (including fresh strings), so that's a bonus. And, while I'm not exactly digging the single-ply white pickguard, those are easy enough to swap out. This thread is certainly encouraging; I couldn't seem to find any strong opinions (either good or bad) on other sites.

One concern I had was the pickup. Besides the Novak option, are there any other brands that make a Strat-sized bass pickup? Or, barring that, I've got a rat's nest of spare Strat pickups in my parts bin...has anyone else experimented with other miscellaneous Strat pickups on this bad boy?

21. JelloCaster

JelloCaster TDPRI Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Boston
    I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard others suggest either a SD Hot Rails or the GFS equivalent, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.