Squier mini strat owners, anyone mod theirs? Do standard pickups fit?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Chunkocaster, May 30, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I dropped by a guitar store today on the way home and had a play on the new classic vibe jaguar, strats etc and ended up grabbing a Squier mini strat to try out. It was fun to play and since getting home I've been thinking about getting it and modifying it. It actually sounded and played better than the CV Jaguar I tried out. Do standard single coils fit on these mini's? Interested to hear from anyone who owns one or has modified one.

If the pickups can be swapped out i'm thinking I might put a jb junior I have lying around in the bridge and ambering the neck with tinted tru oil, cleaning up the frets and fitting it with 12's.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  2. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

Yes standard pickups fit. I found a used Texas Special for cheap and put it in the bridge position. It’s my slide guitar.

Toadtele and Chunkocaster like this.
  3. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

You should try out the squier teles also. I bought my son one this past Xmas. I actually love it too. $119 at Musiciansfriend shipped.
    20190115_214540.jpg

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

I forgot I had one. Bought it for my son 10-12 years ago and he didn’t take to it. So I bought him a bass and stuck it in the crawl space. I’m going to find it after work!

5. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

I highly suggest replacing the tuners. They are the worst rubbish I’ve ever seen. ”Diamond” style. Couldn’t get that damn thing to stay properly in tune even after swapping to 12s and replacing nut. Replaced them with Gotoh vintages. 98% straight drop in. If I recall correctly, they leave one old hole visible and there’s need to make 1 or 2, don’t remember anymore, new holes. Best investment one can do.

Great guitar! It hangs on the wall behind my back on the kitchen table. I play it regularly, just grab it if inspiration kicks in.

Pink, of course!

Edit:

1 old hole stays uncovered, was lazy enough not to fill it up.

207F13BD-DFA3-489C-8A28-E880CFFD8B4A.jpeg

She looks great! Hopefully even one of my children would eventually start to show some interest in it. But then, if not, it’s all MINE!

F4CD40C0-49D6-43FE-8390-956FD9B518FC.jpeg

6. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

Another great story unfolding.....Can't wait!

7. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

I have wanted to find a Squier Mini and tune it up 5 steps like a ukulele. ELECTRIC UKULELE.

8. Chunkocaster

Cool, I was surprised at the quality of the neck, it looked a bit cheap but the finish was nice, nice frets and dark board. Much more tempted now I know the pickups can be swapped out.

9. Chunkocaster

Nice, I didn't know they did a tele too. Is that a mini short scale too? I was thinking I wish they did a mini tele but none come up when I looked on ebay.

The Angry Possum likes this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Hopefully the post has inspired you to make it a player, maybe do some cool cheap mods to it. Have fun playing with it.

11. Chunkocaster

I didn't look at the tuners from the back, I noticed the buttons looked a little cheap but I had to tune it and they seemed to work ok. I think they have released a updated version. Not sure what the differences are between that and the older version. The vintage style tuners are a nice upgrade.

Sotakoira Musti likes this.
  12. Chunkocaster

:) That sounds interesting, would look cool. Wonder how the neck would react to the tension?

13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I did something like that before, made a travel Tele. Effectively these guitars are like putting a capo on a regular Tele/Strat at the the second/third fret, I think they are 22 or 22.5 inch scale lengths, so upsize a string gage or two from what you would normally use to avoid fretting sharp. I use 10s on this.

The trick with the 'trapezoid tuners' is to only tune up to pitch like you should anyway. If you overshoot then drop back a half step and 'tune up'.

Washburn made a couple of other models of these without the Disney branding at the same time, you might uncover one. Washburn guitars are made by Samick, who ghost build something like 80% of the import guitars at all price points.

[​IMG]

Those Strat Mini's would be perfect to rewire an Armstrong Blender (would need a stacked tone knob to give the extra band for blending).

14. Chunkocaster

Is that a Hannah Montana guitar with the pop star finish removed? Pretty cool they have tele controls etc. The body wood looks decent too.

The Angry Possum likes this.
  15. The Angry Possum

Not a mini, but plays dam good. And for only $119.

I think they went up in price since. I'm not sure..

Chunkocaster likes this.
  16. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I have a 2006 Squier Mini. The chrome plating on the jackplate is starting to bubble up and come off, I'll have replace it soon. I was thinking of putting a sitar bridge on it until I discovered the bridge costs more than I paid for the Strat. I'm thinking now that the cheapest mod would be to Nashvile Highstring it.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. The Angry Possum

This is a good example of tone, voicing etc.. of a guitarist. It comes from ones fingers and energy field in which one eminates of...

18. Chunkocaster

Did they have side mounted jackplates on that model or the normal strat style? I kind of wish they offered a maple neck version so I could make a mini Gilmour black strat out of one.:)

19. Chunkocaster

The color looks nice on that one, $119 is a crazy price. Awesome deal for a nice player.

20. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Mine is a recessed top jack. I paid less than $100 for it new in 2006.

Chunkocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.