Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Squier guitars.....possibly the worlds best-kept secret.........

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by guitarsrmine, Dec 24, 2013.

1. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Rocky Grove, Pa.
    I don't know about all of you, but DANG, aren't the Squier guitars the BEST bang for your buck??? Im talking about the guitars they are making now.....Ive got a CV Tele Thinline, and my son will receive his John 5 Squier Tele tomorrow.......I just am astounded at not only the quality, but the price???? If I hadn't played some of the new Squier CV's, Ida never known how sweet the CV Thinline was.....or the new John 5 either.......Ive seen some other "budget" guitars out there, and these new Squiers blow them all away....and I don't give a rip that it says "SQUIER" on the Ive said before, "Its not the PLANE, its the PILOT"!!!!!
  2. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    I don't think anyone who has read a guitar forum in the last 5 years would call a CV Squier a "secret".
  3. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2013
    st. louis, illinois
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I've owned a bunch of Squiers over the last few years and my #1 is a Squier these days. If I could, I'd own at least three more right now. Not only are they great bang for the buck, they're also some of the most interesting Fender variants out there.

Really, anyone who hasn't heard about Squiers at this point just isn't listening.
  6. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Holic

Aug 15, 2013
    Lancashire UK
    Totally agree, I checked out most of the new Squier line up at a guitar store a few weeks ago ( sadly no John 5) and was blown away with the squire line, I love them.:cool:
  7. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

I just got a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar myself and I have to agree that the bang for the buck factor was off the charts. I got it on sale for 20% off the usual price so it came to $240. (!) At that price even if it had turned out to be a dog it would be a good starting point for a partscaster or something, but it's a nice guitar. Of course like all Jag owners it seems I immediately started tinkering with it.

I do regret that the black CVC Teles seem to have come and gone without me ever catching one.

The new Squier Bass VI looks pretty tasty too.

Attached Files:

8. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 10, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a 50's CV and it is a fantastic instrument. I even left the pickups alone! I have a set for it, but it sounds great. The only thing I did was change the pots/cap/electrosocket jack and clean up the wiring - all that was personal preference though, it was not needed.

Oh, and I cleaned the switch - it was a bit dirty.

My next order to stewmac will include a 4 way switch, but again, not needed - just something I want to try.
  9. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2013
    Yep, a lot of great Squiers around. I owned a VM Tele Custom last year that was awesome and recently bought a 2008 CV 60s Strat in mint condition. Even the lower end models have some gems among them that make great starters and modding platforms.
  10. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 18, 2003
    I've been playing Squiers for a long time. I keep a lookout for the older Japanese and Korean ones. The new ones are nice but the old ones have the mojo.
  11. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    I converted my BSB CV to a 4-way for the same reason, now all my teles are getting one. It is needed. :D
  12. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    I have 5 guitars and my Squier Cabronita (non bigsby) can hang in there. That guitar is a KILLER!
  13. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Speaking of which, is there any different between the pickups in a Squier Cabronita and the Fender version?
  14. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    I have read several places that the pickups are identical.
  15. sub006

sub006 TDPRI Member

Squiers are climbing the food chain. You see more and more of them worn and used onstage by "name" artists or their backup players.

Kind of like in the '70s or '80s, when touring pros would use "cheap" Japanese Fenders (they were, back then) so they wouldn't have to worry so much about theft!
  16. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2012
    east side
    The cv 50 neck I have is great,i just got one off ebay to put on a mim body I had.for the money great guitars.
  17. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2011
    I have several different brands of guitars, some high end all the way down to the plain jane Squier. The Squier's hold there own with most I have have..
  18. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2011
    Yorkshire, UK
    My favorite at the minute is a CVC. I've had all sorts of fenders from higher up, and this is the best player of them all (and sounding)
  19. Yeah, I agree. Forum guys know, or if they don't know now they never will.

I'm not sure what John Q Public, prospective guitar buyer knows though.

What I would tell John Q Public is, there are beaucoups Squier contract manufacturers, they've changed myriad times over the years. Some models are astonishingly nice and others are crude and carry the mail. And some are still not worth having.

So, don't refuse to buy a guitar because it says Squier. But don't buy it blind with the Squier label, either. You still have to do your diligence.
  20. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Fender and Squier both list them as being "Fidelitron Humbucking".
  21. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

May 8, 2004
    Upper Holland, PA
    Why didn't anyone tell me about Squier?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.