Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier CV 50s Telecaster - Damaged, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Beck, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Beck

Beck NEW MEMBER!

Oct 5, 2017
    Scotland
    Hey guys,

first time poster.

I bought and received a new Squier CV 50s Telecaster yesterday. It sounds great however, I instantly spotted a small part of the body has no paint on it. It's where the underside of the neck meets the body.

I've contacted the retailer who has said that this seems to be common and that both their display model have a similar problem.

Has anyone else seen this with their Tele?

I'm in two minds about sending back or trying to get some credit or something

See below.

Capture.PNG
    img1.jpg

2. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    If it sounds great and plays nice, too, I'd keep it.

Kinda minor from the pics, imo. Could ask for some refund if it bugs you a bunch.

Rock on. And welcome aboard!

3. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Haven't seen that with either of my CV teles. If it bugs ya... send it back. If it bugs you but not that much, maybe try and get a little credit. It seems innocuous enough to me that I wouldn't even really worry or bother with it, but I'm sure that would bother some.

ronzhd likes this.

4. Rookery

Rookery TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2017
    England
    Maybe not serious enough to make an instant judgement. I'd probably be telling the shop I may want to return it or I may not, after thinking about it for a couple of days. This should buy you a bit of time with a view to deciding if you'd be happy with some money off instead.

5. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 16, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    My old azz eyes would have never picked up on that. If the neck is "true" and the intonation is good, I personally would keep it. You might could angle for a gift card or something. I have three Squier teles, a VM, a CV and a Standard ,none of them had this issue.

6. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    If everything else is good, just think of it as a bit of free relic work...

Then play the hell out of it and in 20 years it’ll get beat up enough that it’ll fit right in with the rest of the guitar...

Nope and RoscoeElegante like this.

7. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    FWIW mine doesn't have that either so I'm guessing the seller may be trying to downplay it a bit (nothing against them, just saying). However if it feels good and has vibe then I'd keep it. If it bugs you, it bugs you - return it.

8. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    What's the warranty like on it? You may end up paying for shipping or be offered repair. Either way if you're going to return it do it before you put a ding in it yourself or you'll be stuck with a guitar that annoys you.

9. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    10-uh-C
    Get a store credit, spend that money on some artisan beers, Steel Wool all the finish off and be happy.

10. Beck

Beck NEW MEMBER!

Oct 5, 2017
    Scotland
    Thanks guys, I'm going to keep the Tele as I'm in love with it.

They've offered credit but not said how much yet :)

markjames likes this.

11. Telecentric

Telecentric TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Boulder Creek, Ca
    Win/win

Your Tele will not stay pristine forever. If you love it, keep it but work them a bit to get a nice credit and buy a pedal or something. I would question their receiving inspection process if they have accepted a number of guitars with quality issues they either didn't notice or didn't care about.

12. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

this is the second post like this I have seen in 2 days - both on CV Teles. Yeserday, someone on Sq-Talk posted a pic of a new CV Tele that had a similar flaw in the neck pocket ... only his appeared to be worse, and looked like they had to build up/repair the pocket depth on one side

http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/classic-vibe-tele-issue.127683/#post-596959

Mine does not look like that at all - I think it would bug me

13. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Connecticut
    That's pretty common on parts bodies because when you route that neck pocket that side piece is very narrow and usually pretty rough. It really should be sanded to remove the thinnest part and rough edges, my guess is that they probably just paint it without doing that so as soon as you get any torque on that neck at all it chips the paint. Just a guess though. Those CV 50's are killer guitars though for the $$$

14. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    I would see if you can get a big box of strings or something. Retailer is probably more likely to do that than refund money.

studio1087 likes this.

15. Rookery

Rookery TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2017
    England
    I got a new cheapo Tele the other day and whilst not 100% perfect, I reckon the finishing to the neck pocket is better on mine than the example pictured at the beginning of this thread. Bearing in mind the CV was probably 4 or 5 times the cost of mine, I'd definitely want a replacement.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.