Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Squier CV 50 hard to bend...

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Teles, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Teles

Teles TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Hellas
    Hello everyone,
    Since I own a Squier CV '50 VB for about 1 year now, (which I love! ) I often find myself more comfortable bending strings on my Fernades les paul model :(

This makes me a bit sad 'cause I really like my CV, but when I switch to my LP there is alot of a difference.
    (It is been said that it's because of the scale length) ...but, what can I do to make her (and me ;) ) more happy bending the strings?

PS: Unfortunately, I haven't got her for a nice setup to a luthier/etc since I bought her... If the problem relays on missed setup, is there something that it can be done by me instead? Thanx

2. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

Jul 3, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN.
    Try some lighter strings.

3. Teles

Teles TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Hellas
    I' d rather not try this, as if it was my last option :(

I have a feel (IMHO) that lighter gauge strings will make weak tone, or weak feel on my hands...

Someone has told me that because of the low quality of neck woods, the whole neck is more elastic on bending itself, thus loosing integrity when adding more weight to strings (aka while bending strings)

Is this true?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2009
    Kentucky
    If the neck was springy, it would make bends feel less stiff, not more so.

A longer scale length will make a set of say, 10's, stiffer than a shorted scale length, Just how it is.

As far as tone, it's a trade off. I prefer the tone of heavier strings as you indicate you do, but along with it comes more string tension.

Try tuning a half step down and capo the first fret.

6. Skrik

Skrik Tele-Holic

Feb 17, 2008
    Norway
    ZZ Top play with really light strings, and their tone is good.

Lighter strings or a shorter scale are the only ways to reduce the tension needed to bend the strings.

7. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    I use 10's on my Tele and 10.5's on my melody maker, balances up nicely.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    No, it's not. It's the same maple neck you'd find on any other Tele. The rest is pure nonsense.

First of all a guitar with a 24.75" scale length will bend easier than one with a 25.5" scale length. That's a matter of physics and you can't change that.

What string gauge are you playing now? If it's .009s and you don't want to go up to .010s than try a half step up to .0095s. Another thing to try would be pure nickel strings. They tend to have a softer feel and a little more flexibility to them. Certain alloy strings can do that as well.

But first and foremost whatever strings you decide on either have it setup for lower action or learn to do that yourself. If the neck has too much relief and the action is way high you're fighting that constantly and unless you're a gorilla it's gonna seem harder to bend on that guitar than one with a shorter scale that is well setup.

9. Teles

Teles TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Hellas
    To be honest, on a descent amp and good settings wouldn't make alot of a difference to the one listening, but I am not used of light gauze strings, thus feeling like "empty" on my hands...

10. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 6, 2009
    the delta bc
    bb king uses a pure nickel Signature Gauge

.017p

.032w

.045w

.054w

fenders come with .09s

11. ValveFan

ValveFan Tele-Meister

Feb 19, 2012
    North Idaho
    How about tuning down a 1/2 step? Easy thing to try anyhoo...

12. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2011
    Oakland
    Get a top-loading bridge, if you don't already have one set up for top loading. The string angle behind the saddle often can make some difference, and top loaders have much less steep string angle. It's why a Jazzmaster feels slinkier even though it's a 25.5" scale.

13. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I second the top loader and nickel strings. I use both, but for other reasons.

You could also just get a stress ball or one of those. Grip strength hand exerciser things.

I'm using 12s, but I don't do much country playing. And certainly not any steel licks. WhenI try it's not there, but then also wrong is the tone. My guitar is not setup for that steel sound.

I like to fight the strings

14. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    It might be all in my head, but I swear that I've noticed differences in bending strings with strings of the same gauge that are made of different metals and/or different manufacturers. So maybe you could try the same gauge that you're using now from a different manufacturer/material? Good luck!

15. PineBomb

PineBomb Tele-Holic

Mar 4, 2010
    NY, NY
    I reiterate choosing a lighter gauge on your Tele. Also, you joined the forum in 2012, and the name Teles was available? Seriously?

16. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Most anyone who has LPs and Teles uses the next gauge down on their Teles. 10's on a LP feel like rubber bands to me. Not just the shorter scale, but the HS design makes the high e/b string shorter ball-to-tuner, which adds to a looser feel on an LP. As said, a top-loading bridge on the Tele will make 10s feel looser as well.

BTW, don't CV50s come with 9-42?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  17. zook

zook Tele-Afflicted

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    My two cents:

Strengthen your fingers with some exercises. Also, are you bending with your first finger or middle and ring finger?

Winnie

18. purplegenie

purplegenie Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2011
    North Carolina
    See my sig... Try some 9s. It does not affect the tone THAT much, no matter what you hear from a macho player. :) it affects the tone far more if you're not able to bend.

Boomers are easy to bend, in my experience. Also Slinkys, in this case SUPER Slinky's -- don't let the pink package fool you.

Also, everyone is right who said top loading bridge. You say that nines feel like nothing in your hand, and yet tens are too stiff. Think about what you're saying, Goldilocks. :).

Really, your only other alternative is to either play a guitar with a different scale, as you say your Les Paul, or lower the action, maybe, on your current guitar? Then maybe you can use the tens, and bend better. It might be as simple as that your action is too high. Hard to say without seeing your guitar.

But, with just a few tools, meaning Allen wrenches, you can learn to do a set up on your own guitar. It's a good skill to have anyway. Good luck on finding the perfect solution.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  19. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    You might try loosening the truss rod a little thus lessening string tension

20. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2009
    Kentucky
    Doesn't an increase in relief result in an increase in tension ?

21. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2003
    Kittery, Maine
    Yup. Check the relief. Tighten it a 1/4 turn or so if needed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.