Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Classic Vibe vs. G&L ASAT Telecasters: how do they compare?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by slidincharlie, Aug 24, 2018.

1. slidincharlie

slidincharlie TDPRI Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Palermo, Italy
    I've read many positivie reviews of CV Teles but nothing about their recent G&L ASAT counterparts.
    Their prices are comparable. There is in particular a sunburst G&L Tele with a neck humbucker for sale not far from my hometown that is very tempting.
    How do Squire CV and G&L Telecasters compare in your experience?
    I wonder if they are more or less equal in build quality, materials and sound, also considering that a few mods and careful setup can surely enhance both models.
    --Carlo

2. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

While I think CVs are great I would give the edge to the G&L tributes. YMMV IMHO etc

stevemc, zippofan and TeleTown like this.

3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Tele-Afflicted

May 21, 2006
    SPace
    I don't know about comparisons, but form what I've seen here G&L's are very well-liked, especially considering their prices and options not typical available on Fenders.

If you're interested in an ASAT, keep an eye out for Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day, as they pop up there regularly. Twice in the past week, if I recall correctly.

jfgesquire likes this.

4. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, that Bluesboy ASAT Tribute was very tempting at $300...

BigD and Honest Charley like this.

5. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    With the Musicians Friend SDOTD on the ASAT it really makes for a tough decision. I would proudly play one, if I bought one.

But when I bought my Classic Vibe I called MF instead of doing it online and only paid $340 brand new. And I got the Vintage Blonde which comes with the A3 pickups including a hotter bridge pickup.

Edge to the CV VB Squier.

(edited to add the following)

Build quality of the Squier was very high. I could find no flaws of any kind anywhere. Neck angle, saddle height, nut slots, finish, chrome.... The bridge plate and other parts actually look to be better quality than some of the Fender USA vintage parts.

(A parchment pickguard makes it very different!) 20180601_180136.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018

6. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

Jul 22, 2004
    NEPA USA
    I don't have a G&L Tribute series, but my understanding is that they use the same pickups as G&L's MIA guitars. That's a big plus considering that the main gripe about budget Fender/Squier guitars seems to be the lackluster pickups.

slidincharlie likes this.

7. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    ... I like American Teles ... not a big Squire fan. When the M.F. Stupid deal of the day has the G&L Tributes for $299 buy ... save some money because it is probably going to need fret work. The tribute is really built well and sounds great. A lot of players like the MFD Pu's ... they are good but my personal preference is for the A5 PU's. Either way I like 'em better than Squire, That said every body has their own likes and dislikes. Don't expect it to sound like a Tele ... you can get close but they sound different. If you don't like it you can send it back.

8. slidincharlie

Sep 24, 2006
    Palermo, Italy
    I live in Italy, so shipping will add to whatever selling price heavily, let alone resending it back.
    The seller says it's a Classic model (see picture below).
    G&L's are not common around here.
    A used CV Tele sells around US$ 450+ in Italy. This G&L sells around US$ 400.
    I might go ebay or Reverb to find better deals, but with a cheap guitar and likely inconsistent production standards I do prefer to check the guitar personally.
    You know what? I like this G&L Tele... :)

[​IMG]

tintag27, zippofan, Believer and 4 others like this.

9. slidincharlie

Sep 24, 2006
    Palermo, Italy
    This is a used CV option in my own hometown, so I can check it personally.
    It has a 'double single coil' neck pickup, whatever this means (!?!).
    Sells at around US$ 480.
    Mind that prices in Europe are about 20-50% higher than in the US on average depending on the item.

[​IMG]

10. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I got my CV Custom for around $300 used (though it was only a week old... guy still had the receipt), and then got my CV BSB new factory blemished (though no blemishes to be found) for around $275-ish if I remember correctly. I haven't played any G&L ASATs so I can't give an honest opinion about them. But my take on the Classic Vibe series of guitars is they are fantastic guitars (not just for the money).

11. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    2 single coils... Lots of questions!

Series? Parallel? Switching? RW/RP?

The Classic Vibe neck route is large enough for a humbucker so the body likely wasn't damaged. Should be easy to put back to stock, just needs a pickguard.

12. slidincharlie

Sep 24, 2006
    Palermo, Italy
    Used CV Teles range now US$ 325-540 (both low and top priced are mahogany Thinlines, btw). In Italy the available used stock is very limited.
    I believe that I'll try both Teles (CV and G&L) that are close at hand, then I'll decide.
    Thanks all for the advice, further advice is still highly appreciated.

13. slidincharlie

Sep 24, 2006
    Palermo, Italy
    According to the ad descriptions the sunbusrt G&L mounts a G&L AS4255C alnico neck humbucker and a G&L MFD bridge single coil, both made in USA, while the CV has Tonerider vintage plus pickups.

14. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic

Dec 19, 2017
    Chattanooga
    I have 4 G&Ls and only 1 had a high spot on 1 fret. All of mine have swamp ash bodies, so they’re solid. IMG_2276.jpg IMG_2031.jpg IMG_1263.JPG IMG_0603.JPG

The first 3 were a STOTD deals. All of them sound great. I’d heard the same things about the pickups being the same as the American ones. My last one even shipped from Corona.

slidincharlie likes this.

15. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    Love Squiers, but have never had the good fortune to play a G&L. In the UK they are a rare item, and very few dealerships carry them.

tintag27 likes this.

16. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I have both a CV Thinline and a G&L Tribute Bluesboy, both nice guitars. I did more modding to the CV, as the neck was a bit thin for me, and I put a set of Cavalier pickups in it. The Bluesboy got a new neck pickup, Fralin P92, as I thought the stock p'up was a little too dark. I also changed out the bridge as I didn't like the feel of the 6 saddles, a Fender vintage plate and CJ Tooling 1/4" saddles went on easily.

Quality wise I think the G&L is a bit better, but they're also a little more expensive new unless you can snag a MF deal of the day. I like the ash body of the Tribute more than the mahogany of the CV though that's a matter of taste. The G&L came with bigger frets, which for me was a bigger adjustment than anything else, as I was used to the "medium jumbos" of Fender/Squier. Both had some buzzing so my luthier did a level/crown on the G&L, as well as a new bone nut. The Squier eventually got a Warmoth birdseye maple neck which just needed a good fret polish.

They are different, and both guitars are keepers. :cool:

17. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    I could never stop noticing that fugly headstock on the G&L.

RegularJim likes this.

18. RegularJim

RegularJim TDPRI Member

May 24, 2017
    Winthrop Harbor, IL
    I received a G&L ASAT Tribute Ash body with the natural finish for my anniversary gift this year from my awesome wife. She got it as a Stupid Deal for $299 (regular price $499). Mine had a few minor flaws. First there was a bit of a gap between the neck and body on the treble side. Also, you can see the bridge pickup rout sticking out from under the bridge if you look really closely. Finally, the frets and neck were rough. The neck wood was very pale and "sawdusty" like a Squier Bullet, and the frets felt like a chainsaw. And it's quite a bruiser, easily the heaviest guitar in my ever-growing rack.

The neck gap and the peek-a-boo pickup rout are very small and don't affect the playability at all, and the neck and frets were sorted with steel wool and carnuba wax. Now it feels and plays great!

I think if you can get a "stupid" deal on one and you have the ability to take care of minor issues they're worth the money. I'd probably pass at the regular price. Compared to the CV's...I'd probably go with the CV (based on quality). If you already have a Tele or two and want something a little different I'd go with the ASAT.

I know you're in Italy, so I'm not sure if you can get the same deals as we get in The States, and I don't know how the prices are for you locally, so good luck in your shopping!

19. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    I prefer the ASAT necks for sure. Also the stock pickups sound better to my ears.

20. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I've owned both, as well as a handful of other G&L Tributes. CVs are pretty consistent, always well made and I've never seen one with QC issues. The G&L Tributes, not so much. The good ones are great, but about half the ones I've seen need fretwork. Nothing major, but the CVs are all great out of the box (excepting basic setup work that all new guitars need). I do like the G&L pickups better, but that's a matter of taste. I'd give a slight edge to a "good" Tribute over a CV, but it's really all down to personal preference at that point- they're both great instruments.

I don't own either anymore because a I came across a ridiculous deal on a USA ASAT. In the US, you can sometimes find incredible bargains on USA G&Ls which are well worth keeping an eye out for.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.