Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Classic Vibe vs Fender Tex Mex Pickups for an Affinity upgrade

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by DukeOfAwe, Nov 5, 2018.

1. DukeOfAwe

DukeOfAwe TDPRI Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Romania
    Hey fellas,

I’ve picked up a good Affinity Tele and it seems good as a base for DIY stuff.
    Currently I've found an offer for some second hand CV pickups and was wondering if it was worth it. Or are the Fender Tex Mex set better?
    I'm thorn between these two.
    Will any set fit the Affinity?
    Thanks!

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    I would strongly recommend upgrading the electronics at the same time. Replace the stock 500k pots with 250k, install a better switch, perhaps a 4 way, and a better cap. This might be all you need to improve the tone.

The CV pickups should be good. If you want a more vintage tone they'll to that better than a MIM set that has a more modern tone. Whichever way you go, either will benefit greatly from the electronics upgrade

3. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Be aware that the CV models come with two different pickup sets. The BSB and CVC come with A5 Toneriders - vintage and twangy sounding. The VB model comes with slightly overwound A3 Toneriders - a little hotter with more mids - better for rock and blues IMO. The Tex Mex are a hotter wind with a more raw sound than typical vintage.

4. Chicago Matt

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
  5. DukeOfAwe

DukeOfAwe TDPRI Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Romania
    I was not aware of this. I'll have to ask the fine gentleman who is selling them what kind of CV does he have. Thanks!

If I had it my way I would have a 2 way switch :lol: I rarely use both pickups at the same time.
    But yes, I'm planning on upgrading the switch and the pots. Any recommendations on brands?
    Thanks!

Rickaphonic and Chicago Matt like this.
  6. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Da rumor mill.

CV pickups are not Toneriders. The China factory that makes the CV's have their own pickup shop. For some reason, because of the similarities, a while back someone SPECULATED and posted that CV pickup's are Toneriders.

Funny how that stuck on the wall, and goes on and on and on.

I don't know why, folks can't accept that that factory MAKES pups for others, and not the other way around.

7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Affinitys come with 500k pots?

Either CV pickups sets (A3 or A5) will be great pickups. I have both & prefer the slightly overwound A3's.

8. Chicago Matt

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Well, dang. I stand corrected. I have read many posts on this forum stating that the pickups are the same as Toneriders, and none saying conclusively that they are not. Sorry about that. :oops:

9. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    Evidence?

This is the first I am hearing of this.

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Almost all current Squiers do. Economy of scale in manufacturing I suppose.

bender66 likes this.
  11. sjtalon

Oh, no apology required my friend. Just trying to keep it real.

Maybe the word will spread. ;)

So this is kinda like Chev and GMC trucks, just different grills, but all MFC. at the same plant.

Happy pickin'

12. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2017
    USA
    My Affinity had 500k pots. I had a 250k kit in the house and found a deal on a Baja so I sold the Affinity before installing the 250s.
    Come to think of it, it's a 4 way switch + wire, pots, etc that I should get rid of if you're interested.
    The Affinity is a decent guitar, have fun with it.

13. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Odd that my/our Squier Cabs come spec'd with 250k. You'd think they could get their head around a single coil/humbucker average.

I've referenced the whole Tonerider/CV pickup thing numerous times & I'd elaborate further. I've never said they were Toneriders. They're awfully close spec wise & manufactured at numerous places as stjalon mentions. I have read within tdpri a Fender spokesperson say they've done runs for Tonerider, among others.

The Chinese are pretty open about copying pretty much anything they please that is manufactured within their walls.

14. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

The claim was based on a forum poster that claims he runs, or did run, the factory in China where these were made. Seemed very plausible based on information he had and videos he posted but I’m too lazy to search out those threads because I don’t remember which forum it was on. TGP?

15. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

The claim was based on a forum poster that claims he runs, or did run, the factory in China where these were made. Seemed very plausible based on information he had and videos he posted but I’m too lazy to search out those threads because I don’t remember which forum it was on. TGP?

acrylicsuperman likes this.
  16. sjtalon

Yee of little faith :D

>The claim was based on a forum poster that claims he runs, or did run, the factory in China where these were made. <

Mark Davis wrote the plant mgr.

see how these things get twisted up.

thread was 2010.

I can't search Strat-Talk right now but there may have been something over there too IIRC.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  17. havlma1

havlma1 TDPRI Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Hi all, I have both Squier CV 50s VB and CVC and because I really liked the bridge pickup in the CV (Alnico III, alledgedly Tonerider) I have ordered the Alnico III Tonerider and installed in my CVC as well. Physically looks bit different. From the sound point of view they are very similar. I think they can be considered as very close sounding each other.

See the picture, yet it is Apples vs Oranges, you may see some similarities. TCA1B (Alnico V) compared to TRT2B (Alnico III) when I swapped them.

tonerider1.jpg

tonerider2.jpg

18. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2014
    Kent, UK
    If you are going to replace the pots and switch, make sure they will fit depthwise. I wasted a lot of time wire fiddling and soldering to install new full-size pots into Squier Affiny Strat -- the body cavity was about 1/4 inch too shallow. When I measured the outer body thickness, the Affinity was slightly thinner than my Mexican Strat.

19. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2014
    Kent, UK
    If you are going to replace the pots and switch, make sure they will fit depthwise. I wasted a lot of time wire fiddling and soldering to install new full-size pots into Squier Affiny Strat -- the body cavity was about 1/4 inch too shallow. When I measured the outer body thickness, the Affinity was slightly thinner than my Mexican Strat. Maybe this also applies to Affinity Teles.

20. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2014
    Kent, UK
    No idea how I was triple-posted, Sorry.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.