Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Classic Vibe Necks

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Totally Bored, Jul 26, 2013.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I like beefy necks. No CV I've tried at the music store has a beefy neck. Deal breaker.

2. sparkletele123

sparkletele123 Tele-Meister

Jun 13, 2012
    London, UK
    +1

3. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    Go to GC and play them. Buy the one you like.

4. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2013
    California
    How does one acquire a beefier beefy beef neck (asked mr smarty pants)
    Huge hands ...... big un's.
    I played a gibson explorer when they were first reissued, the neck seemed like a pick handle, like a big boat neck or U shaped neck, and a wide finger board.
    Thank you.

5. Ritchie Rooster

Ritchie Rooster Tele-Meister

Feb 12, 2011
    Hotchkiss CO
    My CV Custom feels great, but I am about ready to get the Affinity, and swap necks, because they are touted as slimmer!
    My hands are small (think of the old Rickenbacker feel). I've been playing maple neck teles for over 45 years.

6. jcart

jcart TDPRI Member

Apr 6, 2010
    western ma.
    i have a mim strat and i loved it until i bought my cv50s tele....its neck is a tad wider gives my finger more room to fret ..in fact i loved it so much i bought another cv50s tele neck to put on my brand new squier 51..:cool:

7. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Check this video out .

8. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Opps zombie thread, I should've check the date

9. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's

Jun 1, 2006
    Nashua NH
    later on I'll measure both my CV50 and CVC60 necks. I was under the impression that they try to make them the same size but the construction is different. The CV50 is a one piece of maple and the CVC60 has a rosewood fingerboard on a maple neck. I always thought the CVC60 felt a little flatter C shape on the back but not a deal breaker.

I'm actually in the process of trying to decide if I want to sell the stock CV50 neck. I liked it enough to buy the guitar back in '10. A few years later I finally got the courage up to start taking guitars apart and swapping bodies and necks, something that I had never considered before. Now I have what I really wanted, a tele with a rosewood fingerboard. If somebody could use my CV50 neck, I'm warming up to the idea of moving it on. Trying to figure out a price to put on it is easier said than done. Any suggestions would be welcome

10. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    I bought a CVC Sunburst when they first came out. Neck was slightly thinner than a CV neck , almost the same. When the Black CVC came out , it had a quite larger neck at the first fret area , FWIW , mine does..
    I can play them all , no problem
    Apart from few people with problems with hands/joints , its all habit anyway
    So many people believe we should all play guitars with fat necks , its mostly an internet myth.........Apart from both sides of the extreme , I can play any without problems , it only takes a minute or two to adjust to it...

11. tecelaster

tecelaster Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2015
    Glasgow, Scotland
    It's as much to with the curve of the neck's sides as well as the maximum thickness. Other factors (obviously) are the fretboard radius and the width at the nut. All of these variables can interact to influence a neck's feel.
    Really, if you're unsure whether the CV neck is comfortable (or not), there's absolutely no substitute for playing one before you buy.
    For the record - I found the Squier JM Jazzmaster neck total unsuited to my hands - I think it was the relatively shallow neck and D 'shoulders' profile that forced my hand to arch in a way that was bad for the muscles. YMMV.

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    That also seems to be true for the FSR model CVC I have. It's deeper cut throughout the entire neck actually from the first fret upwards. Now whether or not that's true of the regular sunburst models I can't say but if I had to take a wild guess I would say it is. Maybe Fender took the hint and made them a little beefier.

But much the same as viking I don't find any neck to be difficult to play although the huge "U" shapes are not my all time favorites.

13. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's

Jun 1, 2006
    Nashua NH
    My CV50 neck 1st fret .834 12th fret .906

my CVC60 1st fret .834 12th fret .893

so they start off pretty much the same but not the same taper.

*edit* oops, had them reversed at first

14. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Then there are those that say you have to play super skinny necks for metal, or that they make you play faster.

I think you should play whatever you are comfortable with, and you'll play better and faster if it's set up to your liking.

15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    That's quite possible but not many guys who do speed metal shredding choose a Tele as their weapon of choice. That's what that pointy headstock ones are for. LOL

16. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    You can go on-line to Warmouth Guitars, Allparts Guitars, USA Guitars or Stew Mac Guitars, and others. They all sell after-market necks, bodies, and parts for Tele,Strats and other brands.. They all offer on-line charts on various size necks they offer..

17. fil9998

fil9998 TDPRI Member

Oct 31, 2014
    italy

18. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    They usually don't get teles because humbuckers sound better for that. By the way, I think that Slipknot guy and the Marylin Manson guitarist have signature teles with humbuckers (not that I listen to those two or think they represent metal, but just sayin').

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.