Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Classic Vibe Necks

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Totally Bored, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Totally Bored

Totally Bored TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2013
    New York
    Is the 50s Squier Classic Vibe white blonde neck the sames as the Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster Custom neck ? They say Modern C shape 9.5 Radius.

I have the Custom and I really like the skinny neck and Im wondering if the 50's is thicker ? I know the Custom is Rosewood and the 50's is Maple but I'm hoping they are both skinny ?

2. Totally Bored

Jul 14, 2013
    New York
    Also, are the pickups the same on these guitars ? They sound real good in my Custom.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I have a CVC and not a CV '50s but those who do say the neck is a little beefier on the CV '50s compared to the CVC. The basic profile, nut width and radius are the same but the "C" neck on the CVC is shallower or not as deep.

The pickups on the Vintage Blonde are hotter wound Alnico IIIs whereas the BSB finish and the CVC have Alnico Vs and are a little more vintage sounding.

4. Totally Bored

Jul 14, 2013
    New York
    Ugh No like Beefy Necks.

5. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    I would not call either of them "beefy".

CV slightly chunkier than CVC.

6. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

But I said "a LITTLE BEEFIER" not a real beefy neck. LOL It's a little deeper is all. :D

7. vonasemj

vonasemj Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I certainly wouldn't call the CV 50's beefy. I find it pretty comparable to the neck on my 90's MIM standard strat. It's thinner than I would like, but not thin enough to cause cramping for me.

8. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    I really like the skinny neck of my 50s Squier Classic Vibe (white) vintage blonde. on my BSB (ButterScotchBlond)CV, the neck is much beefy-er.
    the white one gets more gigs due to the slinky neck and hotter A3 pickups.

I can't comment on the CVC's. I never even held one.

9. Totally Bored

Jul 14, 2013
    New York
    Hmmm debating on one. I like the Custom a lot and I can get the 50's model new for $304 delivered to my door. Really great guitars for the money. I quess I could always send it back if the neck is to thick ?

10. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    Both necks are on the thin side. Nothing at all chunky about either.. The CVC is too thin for a lot of guys.

11. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Well if you like the CVC then that's the one I'd get and that neck is not gonna be too thick for you. Trust me on that.

12. PJ10

PJ10 TDPRI Member

Oct 26, 2012
    I have a CV 50's VB and there is no way I'd describe the neck as beefy. Haven't played a CVC so can't compare but if anything I'd have liked the neck a tad thicker.

Don't get me wrong it's a delight to play and truly the quality of the fretwork is better than on some Mexican made ones I've tried.

In short as usual try them if you can and chose what's right for you but ill guarantee you won't find the 50's neck too chunky

13. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2011
    Yorkshire, UK
    I had one cvc with a skinny neck, I have a newer cvc now and the neck is very nice and certainly a little chunkier. I have medium hands.

14. CAAD8N8

CAAD8N8 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2010
    Ohio
    I have had two CVC's and I thought they both had very skinny necks. I then had a 50's CV Strat and thought that it was chunkier than the CVC's, but not all that thick. Infact, it was my favorite neck of any guitar I've owned. I now have a CV 50's BSB and it is comparable to the 50's CV strat neck. Thicker than a CVC neck, but nowhere close to my 72 thinline RI's neck. Very comfortable to play though :)

15. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2007
    London
    My CV 50s neck is very close to my '88 Am. Std. Perhaps a little thicker, but there's not much in it.

16. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2011
    Yorkshire, UK
    I played a friends 70s mustang with a baseball neck, couldn't like it all as I like to play thumb over, it was like a fence post

17. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2007
    Brittany
    sound advice. I had a CVC for a (little) while, and considered to replace it by a CV50, as I was looking for a beefier neck. After trying some CV50s in shops, it appeared (to my hands, at least) that, while not as skinny as on the CVC, the difference between the two profiles was not substantial enough.

18. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2013
    California
    hmmmmm, I have really big hands and thick long fingers so much so my first guitar teacher asked me,
    " have you ever thought about taking up the drums".
    The only neck that I ever really felt comfortable on was a classical neck, very wide and more room between the frets.
    Electric necks are so small. any suggestions. I am considering modifying an affintity tele, strip the body stain it add a firebird pick up in the neck. Run with it and see what happens.

19. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Beefy is not a word associated with either CV neck. The VB neck is less thin, and it's pups are a bit hotter and more bluesy IMO.

20. zag1

zag1 Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Got dem CV 50s VB and the BSB guitars and the necks feel the same to me.:neutral: A real challenge would be a "U" neck if you're not "used" to it.;) I'd like to find a V neck for both of mine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.