Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Cabronita -My review...

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Unkie Al, Jul 31, 2013.

1. LongLiveRock54

LongLiveRock54 Tele-Holic

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Anybody know if these are MIC or MII, etc... Also, what is the body made of?

No info on the above on the MF site.

2. Gash

Gash TDPRI Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Durham
    'Made in Indonesia' on back of the headstock. Basswood body I believe.

3. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    If Indonesia, most likely made by Cor-tek who also makes the superb G&L Tributes

4. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    That's a very cool guitar. Thanks for the run down. I have not played a Cabronita yet. I don't suppose you miss having a tone control?

5. Gash

Gash TDPRI Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Durham
    I know this is not my thread but seeing as I have one I'll reply ;) I like not having a tone control for a change to be honest. Less messing about looking for the right tone and more playing!

6. CAAD8N8

CAAD8N8 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2010
    Ohio
    All models of the squier cabronita are currently out of stock on amazon. Shocking!

7. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Well, that was quick. Damn!

8. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Mar 22, 2010
    Ohio
    I played a MiM this week and I thought the fit and finish were quite good. It had an Alder body with the white transparent stain and was pretty nice looking and played well. I would love to do a side by side with the Squier. The neck on the MiM was not thin and the guitar itself was fairly heavy. The resonance and sustain was there in spades when I strummed a chord unplugged. My buddy, the sales guy, (small independent music store) said he was sure it was a very good piece of wood on this particular guitar. He also said he was also pretty sure the nut was some kind of plastic. It was listed at $699, but he said he could do better.
    One thing is for certain, this is a very cool sounding guitar. I like those Pups.

9. jlindseyjr

jlindseyjr Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2012
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    I hope they come out with other than black soon.

10. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Tele-Afflicted

These are slow coming to Canada. I would like something other than black as well.

11. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    My concern with the Bigsby version as was covered in another thread about these is the balance, or lack thereof, between the neck and bridge pickups. I'm a little surprised they didn't just put a Filtertron in both positions or at the very least consider putting in a blend control in lieu of the tone pot.

12. Gash

Gash TDPRI Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Durham
    Yeah, that's my only gripe with mine. Bridge pickup is weedy in comparison to the neck. I was tempted to switch it for something else, but I'm just gonna stick with it how it is........for now ;)

13. JoeXarima

JoeXarima NEW MEMBER!

Sep 23, 2013
    Texas
    soulman969 - It's made in Indonesia. I got mine at Guitar Center. I think all the big online shops have them now.

organic - the neck is a modern C shape - a little thinner than a traditional telecaster shape but not thin like an Ibanez wizard or ESP thin U.

One other thought - with the volume control on mine, basically all the control was from 10 to 5 (estimated, there are no numbers). 5 is basically all the way off. From 5 to 0 was silent. I don't know if they're all that way or if mine is just a fluke.

14. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA
    saw one at the local GC today - very nice for $299! I didn't get to play it as they are re-modeling this store and no amps were plugged in and the place is just a mess right now. they better step up their game or the Sam Ash next door is going to keep taking more business away from them.

15. Boysetsfire334

Boysetsfire334 TDPRI Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Did you end up swapping the bridge on this? I just picked one up and that's my only complaint as well.

I saw this, http://axecaster.co.uk/blog/?p=1321, however I would prefer a direct replacement. It appears the saddle position is moved in order for the string body holes to line-up with.

16. cabron

cabron TDPRI Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Saarbrücken

17. hopper

hopper Tele-Meister

May 30, 2011
    Virginia
    Couldn't you just swap the saddles out rather than change the entire bridge?

18. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    If the string spacing is the same, I don't see why you couldn't just change the saddles.

19. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    Sorry, wrong thread:oops:

20. Boysetsfire334

Boysetsfire334 TDPRI Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Awesome, thanks for the response! I will certainly be picking up one of those bridges.

For the price point your cannot beat the VM series. Just a few upgrades (based on my personnel preference) away from being a really good guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.