Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Bullet HS Telecaster

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Sum41234, Jan 2, 2014.

1. mrmouth

mrmouth TDPRI Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Chicago
    That was the first thing I did. There's nothing right now, that I can see. eBay can kind of be weird with wording at times but I'm not finding anything.

Simply hunting down a control plate has us reading about different pot post hole sizes on import plates. A simple $3 piece of plated metal has me wondering if it will fit and whether I will have to widen a hole on chrome plate. Trying to prevent buying the Fender part for $15 when we can buy a shiny piece of metal for $3.

That is where I need expertise and advice. Need as much drop-in stuff as possible.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

2. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio
    I always thought the orange ones would look good with a cream pearloid pickguard and all that blacked out hardware. Sort of a play on what Leo did with some of those three bolt G&L ASATs from the 80s .Just a thought !!

3. brassbarrels

brassbarrels TDPRI Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Working on a conversion to chrome hardware on mine as well. Already had strap buttons and press fit knobs.

So this is what I have bought on eBay so far:
    Fender 50s RI neck plate =$4.69
    (D05) Chrome control plate (mlaval-guitar) = $5.99 <-- holes are drilled at 5/16" rather than 3/8" but fit stock alpha pots
    Bitterroot 080630CH hard tail bridge (hildrethja) =$12.49
    FENDER SQUIER J-807 deluxe tuners for Strat/Tele = $14.34 <-- not arrived yet but marked for "IC" serial #s

Expect to spend slightly over $50 for everything but I've been able to recoup more than half of those funds back from the blacked-out parts.

4. mrmouth

mrmouth TDPRI Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Chicago
    Exactly what we needed - thank you so much.

5. mrmouth

mrmouth TDPRI Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Chicago
    Well, we kind of got discouraged after my nephew bought a new genuine pickguard and it wouldn't fit. I mean the amount of trimming it would have taken, along with new holes/filling the old, was just too much. Really nowhere near the old PG. Kind of crazy. I expected some trimming but this was really nutty. Would have needed a router. So it went back.

Still going to replace the black hardware. It scratches so easily and the Low E wont take proper intonation on this bridge. Although another cheapy might present the same problem.

Kid finally replaced the corroded original strings with some regular slinky. Sounds so much better but he scratched the hell out of the black tuner posts. Doubt he can salvage much to re-sell. Breathe on this black hardware and it scratches.

6. silverkw

silverkw TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Vancouver
    I found an old 8 hole pickguard that I ordered from Warmoth a few years back and it was actually a good fit, except the bridge pickup route. I only had to fill/drill 1 hole (on the body of course) to get it fit perfectly.

Here's how mine looks before and after:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. silverkw

silverkw TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Vancouver
    I wanna share my two cents as well on this guitar... I have some pretty high end Les Paul's. But I was surprised how good a guitar it is when I played it in Guitar Center, and it was just amazingly cheap.

I thought it was a good platform for my Tele-Plus mod, and it was just perfect for that.

The tuners were ok. They are 15:1 gear ratio, and not loose. Any tuning issue with Tele is generally nut problem, and this is the same. I made the nut slot a bit smoother and it's much better.

Replaced with all chrome hardware (the bridge and tuners were actually from Squier, exactly same model# but chrome color), added the Lace Sensor pickups and surrounding (Lace Sensor finally reissued these this year). I wired it with a 3 way mini-toggle switch, and I do plan to add neck pickup when I find a cheap one on eBay.

I had to mod a pickguard for it, but I did it with some hand files from a guard that was cut for regular Tele Humbucker bridge.

Also did have to enlarge the pickup route to fit the lace sensors, but it was really easy (too easy so I went slowly) with Dremel (free hand), and because of the basswood body.

The frets ends can be dressed a bit better, but I can get to that when I have some time.

Overall, the guitar resonate like crazy, and fun to play. I'd say it's definitely a good mod platform.

8. mrmouth

mrmouth TDPRI Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Chicago
    He might eventually play the pickguard roulette until he finds one that is manageable but that genuine Fender was just too much work.

Haven't seen a mod of the sunburst yet - looks good with the white PG and chrome.

When I was at GC the only model on the floor they had was in sunburst. They happened to have the orange in back that my nephew wanted and when I held both, the sunburst was shockingly lighter. The orange had the heft you'd expect of a Tele while the sunburst felt so light it felt cheap. I mean it felt like I was holding a toy.

Otherwise I kind of liked the sunburst, myself. But it wasn't for me. :p

9. Monkeesfan1965

Monkeesfan1965 TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2014
    BUm**** Alaska
    Is theere a wiring diagram out there for one of these with a tappable Distortion in the bridge? I am trying to mod, and I do NOT want a SUPER switch. I have a standard 5-way strat switch and a 500k push-pull pot. Wouldn't that be enough to get single coil and series/parralel?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

10. Monkeesfan1965

Monkeesfan1965 TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2014
    BUm**** Alaska
    [​IMG]

This is mine- in the car at GC- $59.00 out the door!
    Noticed it was kind of iffy, so I got an E-bay Squire Neck pu ($10.00) and began my journey:
    [​IMG]

The HB wires were just too short and rickety to resolder to the new pots.
    Brand new DiMarzio Super Distortion HB. Added a push-pull pot that I ended up not needing (Future mods?) I took a 22 ga wire and a stripped bare 14 ga and wrapped the 22 myself.Ate a poptart for a break/ snack and used the mylar wrapper to hold the bare stranded around the conducter.;) Then used colored shrink tube to bind my alchemy together and used that wire to make the connections to the 5 way switch I installed. New jack shielded wire (Radio Shack- 50ft 22/2 with ground for $11.00).
    Got really bored and hate black pickguards... sprayed it to mess about until I get another:

[​IMG]

Finished and tapped. Reversed switch plate, added new knobs and now I have 49.5 feet of extra sheilded cable, a tele neck pickup, and a push-pull pot as spare parts lol! Total investment- around $140.00.
    Thinking my Applause Accoustic could really use a volume between transducer and jack...:lol:... Maybe a retrofitted tele pickup and utilize the push/pull...?

11. josh-taylor

josh-taylor TDPRI Member

Oct 11, 2014
    liverpool
    I live in the UK and I don't think they are available over here

12. mkgearhead

mkgearhead TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.