Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Bullet HS Telecaster

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Sum41234, Jan 2, 2014.

1. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Replaced the pickguard on mine to give it a cleaner look.

[​IMG]

2. Dongotto

Dongotto Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Missouri
    I ordered one of these over the 4th of July sale. I called GC and said hey you have bullet strats for $89 any chance you would sell me a bullet tele for the same money? He went away for a minute and came back with a yes. Anyway they were supposed to ship 7/11 but I got an email saying they still don't have them. Sure hope I get the guitar soon, looks like a fun mod project.

3. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2012
    ca
    Man that's a great idea! If I hadn't just pulled the trigger on a parts body I would have done the same. Congrats. I like the orange.

4. Dongotto

Dongotto Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Missouri
    Happy to say I got an email at 2:31am today that my guitar had shipped. Look forward to reporting on it Friday.

5. vintage clubber

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA

6. telebyron

telebyron Tele-Meister

Jul 19, 2012
    oklahoma

7. vintage clubber

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA
    I noticed that too. Really not a bad deal with the case included though.

8. telebyron

telebyron Tele-Meister

Jul 19, 2012
    oklahoma
    I would not pay that for shipping. I shipped a really heavy les paul in a case for 35.00 or so. guitar center ships for 22.00.

9. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Tele-Meister

Nov 19, 2010
    Baltimore
    Ok, I actually had my brother-in-law, who owns a machine shop drill the hole in the control plate for me using a CNC machine. It also got rid of any burrs.

The coil split wire was kind of a pain to get to. I had to splice additional wire into it because it was cut so short. I installed a SPDT switch and grounded the wire to the volume pot. Now I can actually get some Tele twang! I wish they would make these stock on any Teles with humbuckers. I'd gladly pay a little extra for this feature.

Here are some pics:

Attached Files:

10. severalwills1

severalwills1 TDPRI Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Hey, is it true that the neck scale length on this thing is a 24.75? I was thinking of swapping the neck out, and as far as choosing whether to get a standard 25.5 or a conversion 24.75, I was skeptical because I have doubts about its length. I compared it to a bolt-on Epiphone Les Paul neck and the Tele's neck seemed longer. I don't want to take it off to measure because it's currently set up and I'm a bit new to messing with guitars, so I don't want to mess anything up.

11. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    Nice job!
    Looks just like mine, but reversed. I had to extend BOTH sets of pickup wires to the 3 way to reverse the plate, I also had to disassemble and clean the switch, it was sticky on the inside (tacky sticky, not lubricant sticky). I flipped it for the purchase price, and instead got a Squier Cabronita... Fantastic build quality, much more what I wanted as a travel guitar.

You are correct per the Guitar Center and Musicians friends sites, but their specs also say it's a 21 fret neck (it's actually 22), I don't have mine any more, so I can't measure it, you don't need to remove anything to measure the scale length.

Attached Files:

12. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio
    I wished they had chrome hardware. I wouldn't mind having one.

13. severalwills1

Aug 23, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, I was looking at that earlier. The main reason why I have doubts is that most Tele-style guitars, like most Fender/Squiers, are 25.5. Even the Squier Bullet Strat is 25.5.

Similarly, though, if it is indeed 24.75, would I be able to slap the original neck from this Tele (since I'm changing the neck on it anyway) onto a bolt-on Epi Les Paul Special II? With correct bridge adjustments of course. Trying to make an ugly frankenstein guitar.

14. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    Technically yes, but it won't be a slap on. There are other issues.
    Besides needing sanding/fitting/shimming to get the fit, angle, and height right, you'll need to put it on and measure from the middle of the 12th fret for sure (to make sure the distance to the bridge is equal to the distance of the nut from that point (or at least in the ball park of the saddle adjustments) What I would be most concerned about is if the 22 fret bullet neck (which overhangs the neck pocket for the last 1.5 frets), will lay in the same place as the Epi's neck which has a three fret overhang. Moving the TOM stuff (or sanding down the bottom of the heel that much) is a lot of work.

That said... There is one last (major) issue: string spacing. Fender bridges and HB's have narrower spacing; which means the E strings will be very close to the edge of the neck when you string it up (possibly right ON the edge). So you'd have to get blank saddles for the TOM bridge and slot (all of) them accordingly. (Or you can file the ones you have to a new knife surface and use them).

I'm sure there are others more experienced than me who've done it here who can chime in... In a NEW thread perhaps?

Is that FrankenSCHTIEN?

15. severalwills1

Aug 23, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, I'll probably open a new thread soon. Thanks for the advice.

Does anyone know what the nut width is on this thing? 5/8 or 11/16?

16. mrmouth

mrmouth TDPRI Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Chicago
    I picked one up in Orange for my nephew maybe a month ago for $90 (the only sunburst they had felt a lot lighter to me for some reason). I don't really play anymore due to severe nerve damage in my hands but man, for $90 it is an absolute steal. Twenty years ago, my first Squier learner was like $250 and was not this nice sounding.

Anyhow, we both feel that it needs a bath in chrome. He's been saving for a month and wants to start putting together the parts. So I need some advice about total cost and maybe a parts list. Just hardware. Trying to keep it as cheap as possible without going backwards for the sake of aesthetics.

Also not a tremendous amount of guitar DIY knowledge on my end so if this is something we shouldn't even undertake please feel free to say so.

Thanks in advance for any help.

17. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio
    The hardware on the bullet hs teles are about as cheap as you can get and still be functional. You can find all the blacked out hardware in chrome on eBay . I'd just search for squier bullet hardware . You may find somebody that's got everything you need for sale.

18. BareBones

BareBones Tele-Meister

May 15, 2009
    Grass Valley CA
    What are those knobs?

19. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    This is my 12 year old brother's first electric. He called saying he wanted an electric and mom had given him a slight budget. We jumped in my car and headed to the nearest GC. He came home a proud sunburst tele owner that day :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.