Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Bullet HS Telecaster

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Sum41234, Jan 2, 2014.

1. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got mine a few months back ($119), and it may be one impulse buy that bit me a little bit. Previously, I didn't own any Teles because I thought the bridge single coil was too harsh and trebly. Well, later, I started to want one specifically for that sound. But I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it. I liked the looks (and price) of the new Bullet, so I grabbed one and through a SD Phat Cat (P-90) in the bridge.

It sounds good, but it doesn't have really have that Tele "character". Ideally, I wish they had made it either S-S, or with the bridge single coil and a P-90 in the bridge, which is exactly opposite of what I have. My hope was that the P-90 in the bridge would sound like a beefier single coil. Instead, it sounds more like a humbucker, and nearly identical to a Squier Strat I modded with two P-90's.

I guess that's one of my beefs with all these efforts to "modernize" old Fender guitars - there's a million guitars out there with humbuckers in the bridge, but if you care about playing a Telecaster, you probably want that specific sound for a reason!

2. Sonic Pumpkin

Sonic Pumpkin TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Springfield, Missouri
    Hey everyone! I am new to TDPRI, and recently picked up one of these Bullet Teles. I have owned several Fender guitars, but this is only my second Telecaster. I bought one of these because I LOVE hardtail Fenders with humbuckers. The guitar is pretty nice in it's stock form, but I couldn't help myself and decided to mod it. I opted for the metallic black, here's a before pic...
    [​IMG]

Then I went to work. The neck is pretty thin, but still a nice playable neck. I went ahead and contoured the fretboard edges (so they weren't so sharp), then I dressed the fret ends, made sure the frets were nice and level, and polished them out. After all of that I sanded the back of the neck nice and smooth, and added a thin satin poly clear. As for the electronics, I swapped out the stock neck pickup with a Fender Noiseless and the stock bridge with a Gibson 498T. I also traded the black bridge for chrome one, and I am trying a yellow tortoise pickguard (which I may swap out latter). I left the tuners (which are actually pretty good), control plate, and pots/switch stock. I am pretty happy with the way it plays and love the way it sounds. I also added Fender small skirt amp knobs. All and all it's a great platform to mod!

Here it is after the mods...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. telebyron

telebyron Tele-Meister

Jul 19, 2012
    oklahoma
    Looks pretty nice I like the pick guard

4. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    Been lurking for a couple years, but having three Tele's, I figured it's time to join.
    I picked up one of these in Feb ($107 @ GC on a price match with Nstuff), after a setup, pretty sweet. It had some fret sprout, but after a week in decent humidity, only a few fret ends needed dressing). After my 30 day window at GC, I did take it apart. Surprised at the shielding paint in the neck and control cavity (actually more conductive than the hard goo in my MIM blacktop Tele). The control cavity route is clean, so reversing the plate was a snap (UNLIKE the reverse ONLY route in my BT). Also had a grounded bridge (again, lacking on my BT) The humbucker has a split wire hidden under the heat shrink (confirming my suspicion this is the same HB from the '51). I'm amazed how good the split sounds on it's own (takes the harshness out of it).
    The nut, while not perfect, is better than previous Squier's I've owned. Tuners were fine once tightened. As this is my travel guitar (I've given up on mini-acoustics and anemic electrics) that's all the mod it gets for now. It's a work, so I'll post a pic in a day or two. I did have the truss rod loosen on me once, but it wasn't stripped, just popped loose.

5. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA
    sweet! Where did you get that yellow tort guard?

6. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Finally decided to pull the trigger........nobody has them in stock until July. JULY!!!!!

7. Sonic Pumpkin

Mar 16, 2014
    Springfield, Missouri

8. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA

9. Matteo79

Matteo79 TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2010
    San Diego
    Anyone with an orange one they'd like to sell?

10. Sonic Pumpkin

Mar 16, 2014
    Springfield, Missouri
    I ended up using the bridge pickup I installed in this Tele for another project. I was able to get a really good deal on a set of Gibson blackout pickups (490r and 498t). I swapped all the hardware back to black, added some black bent saddles I had laying around, and got a free old pickguard from a friend (which has very nicely naturally aged). I had to trim the pickguard for the bridge humbuckers and fill and redrill some holes in the body for the pickguard. Anyway, I think It looks good and I'm still blown away with how well it plays (especially since I have less than a total of $200 in it)

ForumRunner_20140413_083244.jpg

ForumRunner_20140413_083300.jpg

11. telebyron

telebyron Tele-Meister

Jul 19, 2012
    oklahoma
    looks like a jim root model...cool!

12. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    Finally got around to taking a picture
    Nothing special, just the reversed control plate and split switch. If you look near the control plate, you can see some ripping in the wood from sanding near the seam there. Not pretty, but unique!

Attached Files:

13. Sonic Pumpkin

Mar 16, 2014
    Springfield, Missouri
    Maybe it's just the picture quality, but your burst looks a lot brighter than the other bullets I've seen. It's a more pronounced 3TSB, where as the one's I've seen the center is kind of dark and there is very little red in the burst.

14. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    Yes, I've noticed this myself. The pics were "stitched" together on my phone which knocked down the resolution a bit, but the color is still accurate.
    GC had two other bursts, but they had terrible fret sprout. I think it's funny that the wood matchup and grain looked so much better on the other ones, but the burst looks better on mine with the ugly wood.

By comparison, StormJH1's looks like it has almost twice the black.

15. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Tele-Meister

Nov 19, 2010
    Baltimore
    How difficult was it to drill the hole for the mini toggle? Can it be done with a simple hand drill? I put one of those in my start but through the plastic pick guard.

16. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    Yes, it's a pretty thin plate, you just have to take logical precautions to not damage the plate or guitar (remove plate, put in a vise/clamp so it doesn't spin, etc). A hand drill is fine.
    I shouldn't have to say it, but I will: Don't drill it on the guitar, so many things can go wrong.

17. Jimcord1

Jimcord1 Tele-Holic

Sep 24, 2013
    Plainfield, IL
    I picked up the black sparkly one few months ago, its pretty decent.
    Got it specifically to put in a vintage DiMarzio Super Distortion I'd had for ages that was homeless for too long, in the bridge.
    Not sure it's the best match-up though, likely going to put the SD in my Squier VM Jagmaster, and a vintage DiMarzio Super 2 in the neck; think the extra heft of the JM will let it sing a little better; the Tele is SOOOOO light,
    The weight is kinda hard for me to get used to, other Tele and most of my other guitars are big ol slabs, kinda throws me off.

18. mkgearhead

mkgearhead TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO

19. srh01

srh01 NEW MEMBER!

Jul 11, 2014
    Denver, Co.
    Squier Bullet Tele HS

I picked up mine in 2 tone vintage sunburst. Great little guitar right out of the box! I did some unnoticeable to the naked eye mods.
    1) I replaced the pups, I put in a USA Fender Atomic Humbucker in the bridge and a USA Fender Hot Tele Neck pickup in the neck.
    2) I replaced all the pots and with CTS Pots, The 3-way selector switch with a
    switchcraft 4-way switch for series switching in the 4th position and I put in a black Electrosocket. New black Grover tuning machines replace the stock ones.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.