Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Bullet HS Telecaster

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Sum41234, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Sum41234

Sum41234 TDPRI Member

Sep 11, 2013
    Texas
    This one seems to be fairly new, the Bullet HS Telecaster. I missed the sale back on Columbus day, but I just recently received a $100 gift card to guitar center to put towards it. I'll go try one out tonight. It seems not too many people have reviewed it, or even discussed it very much for that matter (though there are a few posts here and there). At any rate, I'd like to get a general opinion on it, and perhaps a few suggestions as to what else to do with it. I intend to mod it a bit in April, change out the pots and pickups at the very least. How many people out there have one and what mods have you done to it? I'd like to see some pics ;) I'll put some up tonight if I get it. I'm shooting for the 2-tone sunburst model.

2. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2012
    Chicagoland
    I too am interested in these. Based on the specs, they seem to have a wider nut than the affinities, which would be good. I might check one out tonight.

I'm also curious as to what the routing is under the pickguard, as I might convert it to a two-humbucker guitar. If I have to route it, then probably not.

3. Sum41234

Sum41234 TDPRI Member

Sep 11, 2013
    Texas
    I think it's just routed for one.. although that's just my guess. At the price I doubt the wiring is anything special.

4. mkgearhead

mkgearhead TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    Here's a thread. http://www.tdpri.com/forum/squier-tele-forum/433034-what-$119.html I got an orange one for Christmas and already ordered parts to mod it. I'm going to change the hardware to chrome and change the pickguard to aged pearl. Here's a pic of it now and a mockup of how it should look when I'm done. I've also got a hotter alnico neck pickup I'll probably put in it when I swap the pickguard. BTW, it is routed for a humbucker in the neck position.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2005
    Irving, United States of Texas!
    Came pretty close to buying one, but a friend made me a deal on his Peavey Reactor (Tele-style) that I couldn't refuse.

Anyway, weight-wise, it's pretty light. And the pickups are passable. I think the tuners need upgrading more than the electronics.

6. Sum41234

Sum41234 TDPRI Member

Sep 11, 2013
    Texas
    It's routed for a neck one too eh? That's some good news. Though I suppose they do already have an HH Bullet.. And I have heard the tuners feel pretty cheap.. though from what I gather they stay in tune well enough.
    I wasn't able to head in tonight, I'll try tomorrow.

7. cheapgtrs

cheapgtrs Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2011
    Michigan usa
    I have an orange one as well. Standard size at the nut I believe. Neck pickup is unimpressive. Humbucker isn't to bad but way to hot for my taste. Tuners are ok but they'll probably get changed out eventually along with everything else just because I can ;) Neck is thin with that squier raw kinda feel going on. Body is thinner. Very light weight.For a hundred bucks ya can't beat it. I may buy another.

8. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2012
    Chicagoland
    I tried out a 2tsb one tonight. The one I played was fairly crappy. The extremely cold weather probably has something to do with it, as there was some fret sprout and it was in need of a good setup. If I'm going to buy something to mod, the neck has to feel good, and this one didn't. But I may have just played a stinker, it was the only one in the store so I couldn't try out any others.

9. Sum41234

Sum41234 TDPRI Member

Sep 11, 2013
    Texas
    The fretwork on most of them are iffy at best, supposedly the fret ends are sharp. That, however, can be fixed. After a good setup I'm sure it wouldn't be as bad.

10. Madmike8

Madmike8 TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Tennessee
    I got an orange one for Christmas. I like it. I'm gonna keep it like it is for now, but will probably go chrome hardware, different pickguard, and a mean 90 in the future.

11. Sum41234

Sum41234 TDPRI Member

Sep 11, 2013
    Texas
    I've seen a handful of people going for a p90 in these. Sounds nice. I too would also want chrome hardware, the black just looks kinda cheap.

12. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    I'm still experimenting on what I want to do with mine, but here's a pic of what's under the hood,

Attached Files:

13. Sum41234

Sum41234 TDPRI Member

Sep 11, 2013
    Texas
    Ah, thanks. First thing I was going to do when I get mine was take it apart, I guess now I won't have to. Have any ideas what you may end up going with?

14. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA
    here's what I did with mine:

[​IMG]

15. purplegenie

purplegenie Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2011
    North Carolina
    I dig the orange -- very Gretch-y.

16. murton09

murton09 TDPRI Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Well FMIC owns them both so :)

17. mkgearhead

mkgearhead TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I finally got the replacement parts for mine. I'm really diggin' it now.:lol:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Madmike8

Madmike8 TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Tennessee
    I like it! I'm still collecting parts to do mine...

19. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Very nice, I like the colour !

20. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Tele-Afflicted

Awesome colour. Congrats.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.