Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Better Than Fender????

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by techowiz, Jul 11, 2017.

1. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2005
    BA
    90s

Fender Custom Shop ---------------x

Fender (MIM/MIA/CIJ) -------------x

Cigar Box Guitar--------------------x

Milli Vanilli Karoke Concert---------x

Ford F-100 Fender------------------x

Squiers -----------------------------x

2010s

Fender Custom Shop ----------------------x

Fender (MIA) ------------------------------x

Squier Classic Vibes ----------------------x
    Fender MIM Standard----------------------x

All other Fender low cost copies ---------x

2. FilthyTerrible

FilthyTerrible TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Toronto
    I have a Vintage Modified Telecaster and a 1973 MIA Telecaster custom. They're different. But I can't say one is better than the other. Truth be told the Squier has a thinner neck and (at the moment) lighter strings, so it plays easier. I know which one I'd grab if my house was on fire, the expensive one. The Indonesian Vintage Modified telecaster customs seem to be just as good as MIMs and MIAs. And I've always thought Japanese Fenders were better than American.

Affinities are not as good as MIA Strats. That's just quantifiable and painfully obvious. They are spec'd not to be. Affinities are amazingly consistent, and that consistency entails poorly finished fret ends and consistently high action and consistently tinier wires and pots. Rolled fret ends just feel better on the hands than shards of sharp metal, this is common sense in the truest sense of the word.

But then why wouldn't an Indonesian-made Tele be as good as an American tele or better? They make $13 a day. A person could spend two days working on frets and it's $26. If an American spent two days doing fret work you'd add a thousand dollars to the cost of a guitar. I think you'd have to be a bit racist to imagine that one country is inherently better at a craft than another country. Indonesia could make better guitars than the MIAs if that's what Fender spec'd.

nicod98, awasson and elelpe like this.

3. DGBENNETT45

DGBENNETT45 TDPRI Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Ohio
    It's SO subjective; each player is different. For some, having an authentic FENDER decal on the headstock justifies paying over $1-2K. Others, maybe not. Bottom line — what do each of us want/need in a guitar... what GRABS us?

If you love a Squier or an American Fender, that's your thing. Go get your axe and chop away.

tap4154 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.