Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Better Than Fender????

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by techowiz, Jul 11, 2017.

1. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    As my old mum used to say " a fool and his money are easily parted".

2. Kojer

Kojer Tele-Meister

Sep 11, 2015
    Manila, PH
    Squier better than a fender? Not impossible but it should not be generalized. I've heard and played some crap fenders and also good squiers. And there are lots of very good fenders!

soulman969 likes this.

3. blackspider57

blackspider57 TDPRI Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    This is so true.
    Ultimately what make something really good
    is your ability to enjoy it.

When you are worried about every nick, scratch or ding
    your enjoyment level goes way down.
    Having a moderate priced guitar I really enjoy playing (and not worry about)
    is the perfect recipe for what is best "for me".
    Mileage may vary for others :)

Digital Larry and Piggy Stu like this.

4. blackspider57

Mar 10, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Johnson! Ha Ha!!!

5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I'm not sure what to say if someone can't tell the difference between a Squier and a Fender.

lfmn16 likes this.

6. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Saw a blindfold test on YouTube where they had a bunch of similar shaped Strats MIA, Custom Shop and a Squier. At first one of the guys thought the Squier (right off the shelf) was a Custom Shop.

He spent a bit of time trying to figure it out. I think it was the controls that finally made him decide it wasn't a CS and then he spent more time feeling and listening for clues. I think it was the switch that tipped him off and then he started spending time with the fret ends, neck finish and other hardware bits. Initially think the sound of the ceramics made him think it was a 60's replica. He spent a lot of time before he finally decided it wasn't the CS.

7. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    A squier is "better" because it is a less expensive version of the USA pro grade instrument. If it falls out the back of pickup truck and gets beat up it doesn't matter as much. You can play the same chords and scales on each but they are not equal and no amount of people telling you they are will make them so.

Ok squier people - beat me up now!

8. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Some are, some ain't. That's the beauty of wooden guitars.

awasson likes this.

9. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I've seen a few of this guys videos and he is really aiming for a more novice crowd IMHO. The cost angle is really the only way the Squire is better. I don't mean to slam the Squire guys out there, but there is a respectable quality difference.

10. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    What's wrong with that!!! I'm rather proud of my vintage "Johnson". :D

Rclax and Johnson johnson like this.

11. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I'm just a player as opposed to being a collector or investor. I want a guitar that plays well and sounds good first and foremost. Where a guitar was made has no sway over me these days. MIA, CIJ, MIC, MIM, there are great ones and there are dogs. I've had some great MIA guitars. But the imports have gotten really good. I have a Squier CV 50's Tele that is better (sound/playability) than most of the MIA Fenders I've owned, and I've owned quite a few. Everything lines up and intonates perfectly, neck wood is beautiful, fretwork and nut were perfect, stock pickups (A3 toneriders) are great. Looks great too. Gigged it for years now, never had a problem. The only thing substandard about it was the cheap, stock jack cup. $12 fix.

The only thing I've learned that I can take to the bank is you gotta play it first. Love my new MIM Road Worn Tele, but the first 3 I tried left me cold. Same with Squiers and MIA Fenders - both ends of the spectrum and everything in between.

awasson, Piggy Stu and soulman969 like this.

12. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I guess I hit my "opt out" button when he began to compare how much easier it is to modify an Affinity than a MIA.

First of all it's not. An Affinity will not always accept traditional Fender replacement parts like a CV will. IMHO he has his models confused. Second of all at least one reason some will by an MIA is because they either can't or don't care to spend time and money upgrading a lesser guitar.

I don't mean to say an Affinity can't be upgrade but not as easily as a Squier CV and certainly not as easily as an MIA.

After those comments I realized he'd probably be off base on everything else too.

awasson, Ira7 and Chicago Matt like this.

13. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

"Some guitars are more equal than others"......George Orwell/1984. ;)

Yes, they are less expensive versions of USA made instruments but the best of them, and some times even the least, can still be considered pro grade instruments. As long as any guitar can be well set up, stay in tune, and sound great it can find itself in my hands or in the hands of another on stage at a gig anytime.

IMHO it's a misnomer to call only MIA Fenders "pro grade" instruments. That's not entirely true.

awasson likes this.

14. blackspider57

Mar 10, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Exactly!..... Me too :)

15. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    Ive played 60s fenders back in the day. They sound better than todays squiers but sure dont play better. They frequently had misaligned strings, notes would fret out, action was high. I realize this is more about todays fenders but its worth remembering that fender was about cranking out inexpensive players guitars not premium pieces. Sounds like squier.

Kojer and 5ofeight like this.

16. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    See, I like this. this is honest.

17. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    I agree with you - any guitar is capable of being played professionally and of being able to be set up and play reasonably well. But that is not the question here.

It is also entirely true that USA fender is a pro grade instrument which is a huge level up from a squier -there is nothing that needs improvement - many seek to mod for their own reasons but it is unnecessary. You are not necessarily buying "better sound" when you buy a better instrument (but certainly pickups play a big role and you get what you pay for here) -you are buying a better overall instrument which means all components (for example compare squier tuners to USA) , woods, fit and finish & feel, inclusion of hard-shell case etc. Can you turn a squier into a "pro" grade instrument - many have tried but by the time your done you might have second thoughts because for less than what you've spent you could've had a USA.

Again, I am not knocking squier because I have one and I play it all the time -ie when I'm travelling for work - because i' not gonna risk theft of my USA. When I get home I pick up the USA and its just better.

18. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

My response was based on how you phrased the post I quoted. You seemed to define only MIA Fenders as "pro grade instruments" while excepting Squiers from that same category. That was all I was pointing out. I don't feel that's true and you've clarified that here or at least I believe that's what you mean by your opening sentence. Both can be and are pro grade players. Mine surely are, aren't yours? Rip any one guitar can be seen as better than another for all kinds of reasons. Some simply out of personal preference and nothing else. You prefer your MIA. That's personal preference. I'm fine with my Squiers all of the time and play those both at home and on gigs. To me that makes them pro grade.

As for the rest I would say that how much better MIAs are is a matter of personal opinion. Yours is a "huge" amount better while my opinion is usually "not enough to justify the massive cost difference" and this is coming from a guy who owns a CS Nocaster and has owned at least a dozen or more MIA Fender guitars and basses in my lifetime. Today there is not a whole lot of difference that I can't match with upgrades to a less expensive model.

Quite frankly this has been beaten to death so many times I don't know why we're even discussing it again.

And to the above all I can say is it's nonsense. First of all a well set up Squier is a pro grade instrument. You've admitted that yourself in this very post. I bold faced it. Second anyone with some knowledge and decent mechanical skills can upgrade a top level Squier CV guitar or bass to be the equivalent of most any comparable MIA model. I know this because I've done it several times over and in each case I have $500 or less into those instruments.

What MIA guitar or bass can you buy for $500?

Sjnoring and awasson like this.

19. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    [​IMG]

I bought this sucker a few days back when I went into GC to look at a used '52 reissue. I just picked it up for fun and had more fun than expected! Sounded decent too, like a tele y'know. Got it home, grabbed some strings, and did a full setup. I also have my favorite neck pickup on the way. First day it wouldn't hold tune so well but I did a hair of nut filing, added some nut sauce in the slots & retainer then gave it 24 hours. Tried it again yesterday, strings holding okay in the tuners etc but still...drifting! Uhg. I set the intonation with the strobe when I restrung it and come to find the octaves are still a hair wonkier than normal in multiple positions. I've got a notched straight edge and the neck appears dead straight while the frets aren't sprouting either so it's a quagmire.

I have no idea what's going on but I've run my course with troubleshooting it and will return it in the next few days. I'm usually ace at solving issues but this one is a head scratcher, I'm wondering if the flex in the neck might be the culprit.

Meanwhile, years back I bought an MIM 60's classic strat and it had issues but it was clear as day the neck was a little roller coaster. I've had some bad luck with the big F on a budget ever since my CV strat was stolen in an apartment burglary, lol.

At the same time I've had great luck with the most hated company here in the big G on a budget. Awesome p90 2 pickup MM at sam ash years ago for $400 out the door, an "LPJ" traded to me for a cheap tele copy, and a Firebird for $950 brand spankin' new. All of which just needed a little truss rod & intonation tweak.

I figure since I've kept my warmoth strat for so long while other strats come an go that the next tele will be a parts dynamo, in fact I placed a musikraft order for a fancy schmancy neck build this morning, lol.

techowiz likes this.

20. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    Actually I didn't admit that a squier is a pro grade instrument (it is a good lower cost guitar that can play well). My use of the word pro in different contexts might be confusing. What I said was that you can turn all manner of things into musical instruments (any type or brand of guitar) including spoons cigar boxes or upside down bar stools and use them in a professional context (gigs, rehearsals, studio etc).

I am not knocking squier guitars but I think its a tough argument to suggest you can make a squier comparable to a usa fender without an investment that doesn't make sense. All I am saying is that a USA guitar needs no improvements: it is a finely made more polished instrument needing ready to go. Whether or not you want a more polished instrument is a personal choice. As an example: go work the tuners on your squier and then pick up the USA and do the same - that is one reason why it is better and costs more.

Regarding cost - you certainly can't buy a new USA for $500 but in the resale market you sure can!

Though I appreciate taking on projects and tinkering etc., but overall IMHO it just doesn't make sense to spend hundreds upgrading when you can buy the top-line outright - you have a better instrument that retains its value.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.