Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Better Than Fender????

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by techowiz, Jul 11, 2017.

1. techowiz

techowiz TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2013
    ny
    Has anyone seen this? He must have said at least 5 times that he is NOT saying Squier's are better than Fender's- just the title of video. Argument is not very compelling....

2. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    A responce. 5 reasons fender is better than squier.
    1. Higher quality bolts holding on the bolt on neck.
    2. Better designed string trees.
    3. More plys in the pickguard.
    4. Heavier so a thief will get tired of running sooner.
    5. Uh.....thats all i got.

chiefline, awasson and Wyzsard like this.

3. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    6. More expensive.

More expensive always means better.

drlucky, awasson and blowtorch like this.

4. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2008
    SEA
    Idk man, maybe it's just another case of clickbait title. But my modded Squier is a better sounding tele than any Fender I ever played including AVRI '52. My luthier/tech and guitarist friends also said so. I admit that particular '52 has better grade of wood, better finish, better parts.... Hopefully someday I'll be lucky enough to find a better Fender. AVRI '64 maybe?

5. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Oh look! A contentious opinion on the interwebs.

Yaaaaaawn.

rich815 likes this.

6. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    That's really the only thing better about a Fender than a modded Squier, fit and finish. So maybe it won't fall apart or rot as fast. Custom shop vintage pickups are better than the V Mods imho. But that's subjective.

7. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

They're both better.

chiefline, vashondan and TMMC like this.

8. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    Groupthink
    Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon that occurs within a group of people in which the desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an irrational or dysfunctional decision-making outcome. Group members try to minimize conflict and reach a consensus decision without critical evaluation of alternative viewpoints by actively suppressing dissenting viewpoints, and by isolating themselves from outside influences.

;)

In general i believe that Squiers are quite good within their price range, but prefer a Fender for a variety of reasons.

9. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This guy is really an idiot.

jackinjax likes this.

10. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    What an argument:

A Squier is better because you don't care if you beat the crap out of it.

brogh likes this.

11. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

My Squier Classic Vibe Tele was good.
    My Fender American Special Tele is great.

I do think the Classic Vibe stuff is a cut above the other Squier offerings..the Affinity etc. Not quite convinced its as good as a Fender...but with upgrades its closer.

telestratosonic likes this.

12. MRey

MRey Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2017
    IL
    I've been on a YouTube binge lately, watching a lot of guitar guys and it's all gotten a bit old. It's become a business and they are all more interested in subscribers and views than gear, regardless of what they say. A lot of the more popular ones are now collaborating and promoting each other.

They are no longer "guitar guys", they are in the guitar gear promotion business.

Sorry for the derail, I'm just at the point where the kid shredding in Guitar Centers opinion is just as valid as any YouTube guitar guy.

13. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

A milion reasons why certain custom builders are better than either Fender or Squier....but which audience are we talking to here?

Just like there are people who argue over why yogurt at one shop 4 cents an ounce more than down the street...

14. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    Actually the beater thing isnt that far off for me. I got my affinity because i wanted to start getting into telecasters but also because i wanted a guitar i could haul around in a gigbag and not worry i was going to snap the headstock off like might happen with my gibsons. I want to feel more free to play in more questionable environments instead of sitting home saying im not taking a gibson in there. I got a cheap orange crush rt20 for the same reason.

Piggy Stu likes this.

15. ComingApart

ComingApart Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2003
    Southern Arkansas
    he also has a 5 reasons fender is better than Squier video. Thats his shtick, he does these "5 reasons why" videos. if that gets your panties bunched up, the internet is not a place for you to be.

telestratosonic and Piggy Stu like this.

16. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    The guy is a flippin' idiot and wrong about quite a few things except........the Affinity is cheaper. Duh.

jimash likes this.

17. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    This whole debate about Squier, the whole flipping thing, is due to one and one thing only:

the name "Squier"

the name! If it were named "Smith," or "Johnson," or "Hot Rod," people would've seen it as a rival brand, not a subordinate, second-best thing.

badfish_lewis, awasson and Grux like this.

18. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    Agree.

19. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    It's wood, hardware and setup. There's no magic because one starts with F and the other starts with S.

...but the majority of guitarists, me included put extra value on the Fender brand over the Squier.

All bets are off if we're talking a custom shop guitar; I get it, those are fine tuned from the word go but what I'm thinking is that providing it's a full size solid body guitar (Strat/Tele) and that it doesn't have inherent flaws (warped neck, bad machining, etc...), the cheaper one can be upgraded into the same level of player as the more expensive one. The wood or finish might not be as nice but that's subjective. The guitar itself can be improved upon to be a really nice player regardless of the name on the headstock.

I've been through this with the 90's American Standard Strat I used to own and the 90's MIM Squier Series Strat that I have now, that plays circles around it. No question the American Standard cost 4 times as much and had a nicer alder body but the cheap basswood guitar with upgraded hardware and electronics outshines it in every way.

It's wood, it's hardware and setup. If I can only keep that in mind when I buy my next Fender :oops:

20. badfish_lewis

badfish_lewis Tele-Meister

Jun 26, 2014
    Toronto
    It's just like comparing Lexus to Toyota. It's the same ownership; both are great vehicles but you expect the Lexus to be more luxurious (obviously).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.