Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Affinity Teles are pretty underrated, IMO.

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by teleowner0196, Mar 16, 2012.

1. BUG80

BUG80 Tele-Meister

Sep 1, 2003
    The Netherlands
    I guess GAS is the only 'disease' of which it is hard to say "happy you're recovered", but anyway, nice set of guitars! ;)

I still own a 20+ years old Affinity Strat that I don't think will ever sell. Back then they still had a full-sized body and small headstock. The bridge is crappy, the tremolo system is a joke and to be honest it does not really sound like a strat. But it is just such a 'fun' guitar with sounds thar are great in their own right. And I hate to say it, but it has the most comfortable neck I have ever played on ANY guitar.

2. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I find that the Affinity is "all right"... it is not "the best guitar ever", nor is it a "great guitar". It is "great for the money", but most Affinities I've ever held in my hands could use a decent fret job, which happens to be the biggest "problem" in my opinion (because I cannot do that myself). the Standard, VM and CV are a lot better in that department.

I like the thinner body (makes it very light) and don't mind the narrowness at the nut. These things are also very personal. A thin neck could be hell for one player and heaven for another.
    Apparently pickups can be hit or miss. I like those on the Indonesian Affinity, but not on the current Chinese ones. In another thread someone pointed out that this could easily be due to variance in production. It is not that strange. The pickups are very generic, and other pickups made in the far east (like the Duncan Designed ones that are in several VM models, or the highly appreciated Toneriders) probably have less variance and better quality control.

About the body: I don't believe a 5 part body sounds worse than a 2 or 3 part body. It does affect the appearance on certain finishes, but I don't believe it changes the sound.

Also the electronics are very generic and there is a lot of room for improvement (as on most Squiers). Pots and switches are not very expensive, and with basic soldering skills this is also easily solved.

But don't let me put anyone off... With a little work the Affinity can be a nice guitar, and the quality/price ratio is very high.

So with a nice fret job, new pickups and electronics and a good setup, I think the Affinity could match any other tele you throw at it, even a high end Fender. (note that I don't think the "newly out-of-the box" Affinity will outplay a higher end guitar, but with some work it might)
    But when paying for all those things, it might be cheaper to get a VM or CV model.

On the other hand there's is another "negative" about the Affinity or any other Squier: the brand. No matter how good it sounds, some people will always make fun of a Squier, or a Chinese or Indonesian Fender for that matter. Even a MIM might not be "good enough" for them, only a MIA or Custom Shop will do. Not that all of them can hear the difference (which may very well be there), but they can see it (front and back of the headstock). ;)

3. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    I may trigger a U.S. attack on Canada for saying this, but, WTH:

I've played many, many teles in guitar shops thru the years and my experience has never once varied: MIA teles overwhelmingly have good electronics, boring finishes, and necks that buzz from top to bottom, on every string; while Squiers often have mediocre electronics, cool finishes and good necks with little, if any, buzz and play well.

Just yesterday I was checking out teles in one of the local shops and all the MIAs were expensive, buzzy and meh. Meanwhile I came across a beautiful Affinity in Lake Placid Blue, that played perfectly with no buzz and had the nicest thick slab of rosewood for 1/4 to 1/6 the cost of the MIAs. If I'd been in the market, I would have bought it immediately, slapped better pickups in it and been a happy camper.

IMO people need to see beyond what's written on the headstock.

OK. Let the invasion begin. :p

4. StanleyAccrington

StanleyAccrington TDPRI Member

May 18, 2016
    York
    Well said feller. A good guitar today doesn't require a certain name on its headstock. It's about how it feels, plays and sounds.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.