Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Affinity Teles are pretty underrated, IMO.

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by teleowner0196, Mar 16, 2012.

1. surfneptune

surfneptune Banned

Mar 17, 2012
    California
    Sorry, I didn't get them before...

2. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 27, 2006
    GA
    I like them ok but find the tuners, pickups/electronics a little lacking. The nut is also kind of on the thin side. For the money though, they are nice, I could do just fine with a stock one if I had to.

3. dada

dada Banned Troll

Jan 13, 2011
    San Carlos
    If you can't make good music on a Affinity tele you shouldn't be playing at all. Nothing wrong with them, and they are fun as heck to mod....

4. Dorsal900

Dorsal900 TDPRI Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Chicago
    I bought my BSB Affinity already modded

Previous owner replaced the bridge with a Wilkinson traditional bridge with compensated saddles, scuffed up the pickguard and control plate/knobs, a bridge pickup wound with black string (no idea what it is), and replaced the logos with a well-known brand that starts with "F" and "BROADCASTER" in smaller type. This is a fun guitar and well worth what I paid for it.

This guitar started me on my Tele kick; I'm currently completing my first build to join a MIM that I bought because I liked the Affinity so much. I had planned to use the Affinity neck on the build, but it's heel is a bit smaller than a standard Tele, so I bought another neck. May soon be selling it if I like my project guitar better.

5. thorton077

thorton077 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 18, 2011
    Frisco, TX
    When I finally start to learn how to mod, an affinity will probably be what I start with.

6. Dorsal900

Dorsal900 TDPRI Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Chicago
    Be careful to measure sizes when you start modding. Some Affinity parts are not the same sizes as MIA or MIM Teles, for example the heel of the neck is about 1/8" narrower, the control plate is thinner, the pickguard is also different to accommodate the control plate, etc.

7. dada

dada Banned Troll

Jan 13, 2011
    San Carlos
    Regular pickguards have fit just fine on mine.

8. skione

skione TDPRI Member

Mar 29, 2012
    United States
    Does anyone have a link to the where I can buy the pickup switch?

Honestly I don't think I want to change the pickups, the guitar sounds fine and I have read a lot of people changing the saddle but again, it hasn't been a need yet.

I don't see how anyone can have a problem with the tuners, sometimes I leave it in my bed room and don't play for a few days and the little sucker stays pretty close to "in tune"

The only thing that has given me any trouble has been that switch.

9. Dorsal900

Dorsal900 TDPRI Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Chicago
    Compatibility and switches

OK, good to know that regular pickguards will fit on an Affinity; based on my experience, it doesn't work the other way around, i.e. an Affinity pickguard on a Tele with an American-sized control plate.

Not sure if an American sized switch will fit the control plate, but if so they are all over the internet and Ebay.

10. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2006
    LaGrange, GA
    OK he used the winky smiley... So how should we read into this?? :lol: :D :cool:

11. porgy

porgy Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2009
    marion IL
    I am sorry to say, I did buy me an affinity series Strat today. I hate buying foreign made, and I could have bought American, but I loved the way this guitar felt and played. Of course it was in no way comparable to a decent American made, but I liked it. Of course the amp I played it through probably had something to do with it, a champ with vibro something and 10 different amp models. I will probably get that amp to. But just for around the house will be O.K. especially when I have company and another guitar player to jam with!

12. Sasz

Sasz Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2007
    UK
    Hi Skione,
    If you want something like the CRL switch, there are lots of places, eg

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro...s:_Switches_and_knobs/CRL_Lever_Switches.html

or

http://www.specialtyguitars.com/p/05-01001.html

I think these should fit OK - Stewmac says they need a body cavity depth of 1 3/8", which is what my Affinity has, but you might want to double check yours before ordering.

Personally I just go for the enclosed rectangular shape switches because they look (to me, anyway) easier to solder, and I'm a soldering coward.

I like these ones:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Way-Switc...229?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item46027c4c9d

Don't know where else in the US carries them, but GFS has a similar type:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/3-Way-Tele-switch-with-Screws-EZ-Diagram_p_31.html

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

13. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Well it does rain a lot in England so he's probably accustomed to doing that.

For $100-$200 they're OK. If it works for the player it works no matter what it cost.

14. dada

dada Banned Troll

Jan 13, 2011
    San Carlos
    It will. I replaced the switch on mine....

15. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    No problem here with the US sized CRL switch, full sized pots or pick guard. The body is alder and solid. My frets were smooth, no jagged fret ends. I bought mine used so I don't know if work was done on it. I doubt it as the new ones I've picked up in stores feel the same. I bought the BSB but I am trying to mod it into something very different.
    I did sand off the Squier logo but I replaced it with a gold font Squier logo.

16. jamblehamblebum

jamblehamblebum Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2010
    morecambe uk
    they are very under rated . i prefer squiers expensive fenders are over rated .

17. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 17, 2007
    Willamette and Columbia

18. jazzalta

jazzalta Tele-Meister

Jan 25, 2004
    Alberta
    Okay, I know this thread is four years old but I felt the urge to reply. I picked up a new sunburst Squier Affinity Tele the other day. After 47 years of playing and dozens of guitars later I finally have a guitar I am pretty happy with. I will replace some things of course as my old ears can now discriminate certain aspects of what sounds good to me. I like the smaller body and narrow slimmer neck because my arthritis is now demanding such accomodation.

I was never a fan of Chinese instruments [mod. edit] But hey, 90% of our goods now come from mainline China. Anyway, I love the guitar and am not ashamed to play it in public. Don't write these off or you may be missing out.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2016

19. Bigpernz

Bigpernz Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Idaho
    I played one last week and was amazed quite frankly. As was stated, the squires nowadays are so much better than they used to be. I plugged into a fender hot rod deluxe at GC and couldn't believe how much fun it was to play. Definitely the guitar I would recommend to beginners especially since you can find them used for $100 or so.

20. Brad Burgart

Brad Burgart TDPRI Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Saskatoon Saskatchewan
    I just sold an 14 Affinity Tele Tobacco Burst. I bought it 18 months ago and thought I was completely satisfied. I have since picked up that insidious affliction a couple of months later better known as GAS. I bought a 96 Epi LPS next, then a 13 Bigsby Cabbie. Still had uncontrollable GAS. Then I bought my first ever Fender Strat 03 MIM then a 96 Squier MIK full body Strat (modding platform). My GAS simply would not dispel til I bought a 13 Fender Brown Sunburst Tele MIM. My GAS is much better now having gotten relief from my purchases.
    I have played these all constantly ever since really forgetting about my Affinity Tele.
    Where this is going is the fact I kinda quit playing the Affinity having gotten used to the other guitars listed above. They all have full bodied and necks and are wonderful to play. I picked up the Affinity the other night, played a few tunes and thought I cant see myself really picking it up again when I have these others in the fold. I thought that Affinity was a fine guitar until I had comparisons. Affinities are good but a full body and neck is just that much better. I no longer liked the narrow nut and the super light feel. It simply didn't measure up anymore in every criteria for me. Sold it to a fine young man who is just starting out playing. He basically bought a brand new guitar. He will love it until he gets GAS and may just pass it as I did.
    Affinities are great until you have multiple comparisons. Then it up to you how much you still like it OR....... simply grab some Tums for your GAS and your Affinity will always be a great guitar.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2016

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.