Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Affinity Teles are pretty underrated, IMO.

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by teleowner0196, Mar 16, 2012.

1. surfneptune

surfneptune Banned

Mar 17, 2012
    California
    I found one for under forty dollars used. Re-wired it, new jack plate, set of Lollars later and it sounds better than my 68 tele did! It resonates like CRAZY! Sanded down the fret edges, put on some 11s too. The finish is super thin... which is an the hallmark of some really high-end guitars. Thinner body? Who cares? It's alder right? The tuners work great. Teles are hunks of wood. it has no idea it's cheap. And really it's all about set up anyway. A GREAT DEAL IN TELES!

2. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    Fezz Parka Mod!

3. teleowner0196

teleowner0196 Tele-Meister

Dec 9, 2011
    Holland, MI
    Blue,

Sorry about that, then.

Platefire,

That is a beautiful guitar, lol

4. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2010
    PA-US
    I used to walk by the Squiers with my nose in the air. I went into Sam Ash to pick up some Seymour Duncan pickups for the LP and saw this Squier Affinity on the rack for $179. For a joke I picked it up. I was shocked. The moment I grabbed the guitar it just felt right. I asked if they had any others and they had 2 in the back. The second one that came out of the box was it. See picture. I was so enamored I bought the Tele and went back and bought an Affinity Strat the next day.
    Then when I was in GC I kept playing the different models and the Classic Vibe fever hit me. I returned the Affinity's and have since bought 8 Classic Vibes. I am afraid they are going to stop making them, at least this well for this kind of money.
    The Affinity's are great guitars for the money. However the CV's have all interchangeable parts with standard Fender specs, and are a truly top drawer instrument in so many ways.

Attached Files:

5. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    Did I read that right? You had twenty one LP's? :eek:

6. bugo

bugo Tele-Holic

Jul 29, 2006
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Horrible Squiers from the '80s? You must not have played the same Squiers that I've played.

7. Muddslide

Muddslide Tele-Afflicted

Jun 28, 2008
    Gypsy Caravan
    Squiers started being made (MIJ) in the early 80s and the early 80s MIJ Squiers were, in my opinion and the opinion of many others, far better (as a rule) than what Fender was churning out at the time.

8. Muddslide

Muddslide Tele-Afflicted

Jun 28, 2008
    Gypsy Caravan
    I've played some nice Affinitys. I'm definitely not a brand snob. But the thinner body puts me off a little (may be silly, but I just don't care for that even though this has no bearing on the overall quality of the Affinitys) and on several Affinitys I've played (not just Teles) the necks felt like balsa wood and the fret ends were very rough. An easy fix though.

For people who don't mind the thinner bodies and thin necks, they sound great and play pretty easy and are a great bargain.

9. paulswifka

paulswifka TDPRI Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Chico
    I do think the squires are horrible guitars unless you replace just about everything on them like the pick ups..the tuners...the bridge....ect.....you don't have to spend $1000 to get a good fender...but I would spend more that $130 to get a squire....there is a middle ground like $500 for a MIM Telecaster which will sound and play wonderfully forever...and if you want to upgrade the pickups..thats about all you will have to do for a different sound...buying a squire..you will end up spending around $500 total anyways by the time you do upgrades....so why not just spend the $500...I've spent $1200 on an american deluxe..and it didn't play any different that my MIM....

10. yks

yks TDPRI Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Fun with Squiers

I have a nice old 1974 Fender Tele that I got when I was 16, but for gigging, my main guitars have for the past few years been two Squiers -- a Korean Squire II Strat, which has a fantastic neck and great stock pickups (and a plywood body, which doesn't seem to hurt the tone any), and a '95 Affinity buttersotch Tele which also has a good neck. I replaced the admittedly unexciting original Tele pickups with Seymour Duncan/DiMarzio, changed out the tuners and lately added a momentary kill switch and Bigsby rig. Each guitar originally cost me about $100 off Ebay. The changes on the Tele add up to less than $250. Refinished the headstocks on each to anonymize the brand, just because I think that's a distraction.

I really like these 2 guitars. The Tele I keep in standard tuning, the Strat in an open tuning. Here's a few shots of the Tele, including in a show last summer with The Gertrudes (www.thegertrudes.com).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. bugo

bugo Tele-Holic

Jul 29, 2006
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I will never, ever remove the Squier logo on my Squier or on any Squiers that I get in the future. My guitar is proud to be a Squier, and I'm proud of it. It doesn't try to be anything it isn't, and you can easily tell what brand it is. My next purchase will hopefully be a Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster, which will be left 100% stock.

12. dada

dada Banned Troll

Jan 13, 2011
    San Carlos
    I played my heavily modded Affinity last week at practice. The drummer half way through said that it really sounded great, which it did. I have quite a few Tele's and the Affinity holds its own quite well. I like the lighter weight and think the neck is fabulous. I painted mine surf green and have a Lil '59 in the bridge and a GFS Fatbody in the neck. It is wired with a mini DTP on/on/on for coils split, HB series and HB parallel. Really is a fun guitar.

13. tehanallang

tehanallang Tele-Meister

+1 That looks uber cool! :eek:

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I'm not knocking the CV, but I've played more affinity teles that I liked than CVs. Two family members each have one that after a little setup sound and play great, and have more twang than lots of high priced Telecasters. I mean TWANG, lots of it. Cute little BSB guitars that look as good as they play. One has a big ol' knot on it that they wouldn't have used on a regular Tele, but looks really cool. If it falls out so what, didn't cost much. I don't think it's gonna it's been there a while.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

You set the ball in motion, now you need to roll with it. You're not rolling with it, and that's too bad.

What good sounds out of an Affinity tell us is, amps matter, effects matter, room acoustics matter, individuals' tastes matter, the quality of the music matters, the players technique and passion matter. Maybe not the guitar as much as those with deep pockets would like.

I say, if you can get the mail hauled, go for it and enjoy! You just need to understand if there's some way, that it is HARDER to get the results many guys are looking for, with an old bicycle made of spare parts instead of a brand new 4x4 Tacoma. Take pride in your improvised treasure, but take note you are getting in people's faces and you can't expect all hurrahs.

16. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2011
    Medina, Ohio
    Got mine for $99 used. Put a $25 Dragonfire Hot rails in the bridge, pulled the neck pickup and now it's an "Esquire" with a Spit/Parallel/Series 3 way switch. When I plug in there aren't any issues, I just enjoy playing. "That's all I got to say about that"

17. skione

skione TDPRI Member

Mar 29, 2012
    United States
    Hi, noob here.

So after reading this thread I felt inspired to chime in. I also have a butterschotch affinity tele. I bought it at Guitar Center in NJ. I spent 2 hours trying guitar after guitar. I had wanted to buy the P90 version but they were out of stock. I tested a 1200 and 500 Tele of similar look but dispite having played those and a bunch of other guitars in my price range, I was continuously drawn back to the affinity. So sale, plus coupon and $150 later I walked out with the axe in my hand.

Dispite having "better" guitars in my quiver, I played this one to death! I since got a PRS which has completely taken over 80% of my play time but this is still my number 2.

I will say I had to replace the input jack plate and I did so with a metal one rather than cheap plastic that was there. This cost me $3.00 and took 4 minutes to replace. also the switch appears to have intermittent problems and I suspect I will have to replace that at some point but that also will be cheap and replace quick.

It sounds great, feels even better. It does have some cheap hardware but the tunners, pickups and bridge are all right on.

With that said, has anyone modified or upgraded your afinity? What did you do and where did you get your parts? (or should I not try and hijack a thread?)

18. surfneptune

surfneptune Banned

Mar 17, 2012
    California
    I ordered Lollar pickups off of his site, and got a new metal jack plate from GC. Next I am going to find new bridge screws, so the string does not push up and down on the saddles

19. skione

skione TDPRI Member

Mar 29, 2012
    United States
    Maybe you can do a before/after on the pickups, would love to hear the difference.

20. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2009
    Wales, UK
    Firstly, Welcome to the Forum. I hope you enjoy your time here.

You should find dozens of threads on upgrading Affinity Teles among the millions of older posts for you to backhaul through.
    Have a play with the search facility.

Some Affinity hardware you can change out easily, some not so easily, and some not really fully necessary at all ;)
    Its has been a while since I had one, but form memory I'd pay attention to -

Nut. Only because they often seem to break on Affinities, and also because you can get a slightly wider string spacing with a good replacement.

Saddles. Stock design is a bit of a nuisance to re-string swiftly, and the adjustments screws tend to work themselves loose.
    Jack output. The surround cracks. replace with Electrosocket and fill & colour the old mount holes
    Maybe change the switch. Only because it feels flimsy and looks flimsy - but.. it may last. It may not.
    All cheap n' easy.

Anything after that is just down to personal prefs i guess.
    I quite liked the hot and twangy stock ceramic pups for example, kinda raw and twangy - though I accept that some other owners would want to swap them ASAP.

Its all good fun.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.