Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Affinity Teles are pretty underrated, IMO.

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by teleowner0196, Mar 16, 2012.

1. teleowner0196

teleowner0196 Tele-Meister

Dec 9, 2011
    Holland, MI
    My only Tele at this time is one of the affinity series, and I gotta say, the thing definitely gets the job done.

When I picked it up, the pups weren't half bad as they were(though I did switch the bridge to an EMG, because I don't like skimping on the bridge) the thing's built like a tank and the satin maple neck feels great..

On a scale of bad/decent/good/great, this guitar (hardware is between decent and good) falls somewhere in the good category IMO. Honestly, for $100-180, this guitar is killer.

I post this now because I have typically seen it just as a cheap 'affinity' guitar, but I sat down and played it recently and it got me thinking how good of a deal this guitar really was.

So yeah, Great job on this one, Squier

ToneGrail and xafinity like this.

2. babybluetele

babybluetele Tele-Meister

Nov 26, 2011
    MD
    I got one too playes pretty good
    but the neck pup is too dark & muddy on mine.
    Anyone try to put in a HB? (I know you have to route in order for it to fit)

-BBT

3. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    A pile of rubbish for cheapskates trying to convince themselves that they made a good buy. :lol:

4. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2012
    in a van by the river
    Wow, way to rain on a parade..... ouch

5. teleowner0196

Dec 9, 2011
    Holland, MI
    'Blue,'

Pretentious much? Telecasters all sound like telecasters no matter what, and its not my main axe anyway so why would I waste another thousand to get something that's about 30% better??

It is a good buy. Gives one a decent tele sound without having to spend ridiculous amounts of money on the logo. Those who disagree typically either got a bad one which then biased them on all others, or are too stuck up to buy something that isn't directly by Fender (which would nullify any opinion of theirs on the cheaper ones, because how would they know, since they wouldn't buy it anyway?)

Not saying Fenders aren't better, because they are, and I wasn't even comparing the two, but calling the affinity a "pile of rubbish," those are the words of arrogance and ignorance.

xafinity likes this.

6. Arbiter

Arbiter Banned

Jan 24, 2012
    self-banned
    Please. I started playing in the late 1970s. The cheapest Squire today is far, far better than any of the garbage that Fender was putting out back when I started. Looking back on it, it's amazing that people were still willing to buy them after the 1985 shutdown/reorganization.

It's a damn Golden Age of cheap guitars nowadays. I envy the young, I really do. Finding something that was even halfway playable back when I started was quite difficult.

7. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2012
    in a van by the river
    this

8. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

This stock Affinity Squier Tele was gigged two to three times a week for nearly two years, by a mate of mine who fronted a punk/jazz/soul outfit.

This humble Squier was rarely transported in a case, had beer and worse spilt on it, and was lost in an audience on a number of occasions to be retrieved later.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometimes post this up to confound the "you cant gig with a Squier" brigade;)

9. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 28, 2010
    N.Ireland
    I started a bit before you and you speak the truth,even cheap can be good today, whereas cheap was a lash up toy guitar,sometimes even expensive was rubbish back then. We are spoiled for choice today.

10. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 18, 2003
    Vermont
    When I was young, we never dreamed of having a Squier telecaster. There were 26 of us living in a shoebox in the middle of the road, and all we had to play music on was an old rusty can with a piece of razor wire across the open end. I had to get up every morning at 10 p.m., three hours before I'd gone to bed, and lick the roadway clean with my tongue for 15 hours, and then when I got home my father would beat me with a paddle about the face and neck. And then, if I was lucky, I would get three minutes with the rusty can and the razor wire. That's how I learned to play the blues, but tell that to kids today, and do they believe you? Nope.

falcon5romeo and xafinity like this.

11. notdave

notdave Tele-Afflicted

Aug 9, 2009
    West Midlands. UK
    Posts like this really, really, really piss me off, and Blue doesn't even have the excuse of being American (because we all know that American geetars are the best in the world, right?). Right.

I own a MIA Fender Tele, an Affinity Strat and a Jagmaster.

The Jagmaster gets most of the playin'. The Strat comes next. The Fender is a poor third. Oops, I forgot to mention my Fender acoustic. Made in China, it only cost 70 quid. I may as well set fire to it.

<bragging> I could drop £3k or so on a guitar without blinking (but it would be a MIF Vigier not a Fender or Gibson, sorry boys), and certainly without the buyer guilt we've seen on these boards over the past few days. Wouldn't make me a better player though.

Sent respectfully and politely from my laptop. :lol:

MrHooligan likes this.

12. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    My sons first electric guitar is an affinity Tele and I like it a lot. I did put a vintage style bridge with 3 saddles on it, added a 4-way and replaced the neck pickup (as stated above, very dark) with a twisted tele but apart from the tuners there's really nothing else to do.

I too am very impressed with the availability of cheap/decent guitars these days, for the same price I paid for a crappy Hondo copy back in 1978 you can get something these days which plays/sounds pretty good and doesn't slice the ends off your fingers when you slide them up the edge of the neck!

13. ludashoeless

ludashoeless Tele-Afflicted

Have you ever thought about the fact that not everyone can afford a $1000 fender?

14. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

the Affinity that was in my possession briefly was awful....reminded me of the cheap crappy guitars that were available when I started playing in the 60's ..I've tried the CV guitars and find them hugely superior to the Affinity line...for a couple hundred more a CV would be a much better purchase if my opinion means anything

15. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2011
    Texas
    Do you think perhaps he was kidding? Notice the :lol: at the end of his post?

16. teleowner0196

Dec 9, 2011
    Holland, MI
    I agree with ROADMAN... I've had some serious GAS over those CV thinline 'geetars' as of late. Or, excuse me, 'ah hayad some seris GAS over them done there CV thin lahns..'

Not a fan of glossy necks but I am sure it's easy to get acclimated to.

The reason I got an affinity tele was because I played a few in the shop (just wanted a cheap tele for a change) and noticed it felt quite comfortable with the exception being the weight of course. So, I bought it knowing it wasn't great in the state it was in (electronics, etc.)

Again, not calling it a perfect 'geetar,' and I never did. I just think they receive a lot more hate than they are due.

17. teleowner0196

Dec 9, 2011
    Holland, MI
    I agree with ROADMAN... I've had some serious GAS over those CV thinline 'geetars' as of late. Or, excuse me, 'ah hayad some seris GAS over them done there CV thin lahns..'

Not a fan of glossy necks but I am sure it's easy to get acclimated to.

The reason I got an affinity tele was because I played a few in the shop (just wanted a cheap tele for a change) and noticed it felt quite comfortable with the exception being the weight of course. So, I bought it knowing it wasn't great in the state it was in (electronics, etc.)

Again, not calling it a perfect 'geetar,' and I never did. I just think they receive a lot more hate than they are due.

18. teleowner0196

Dec 9, 2011
    Holland, MI
    I did not post that twice... the device I use tends to do this every now and again.

19. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

Jul 3, 2011
    phila pa
    I too am impressed, the "cheap piles of rubbish" they sell today are a far cry better than
    the "cheap piles of rubbish" they sold back in the 70's and 80's

20. Shoshin

Shoshin Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2011
    Canada
    Well.... I'm a cheapskate. I admit it. I have a Squier strat ($99 special) that buzzes and rattles. Until I plug it in that is Then it sounds great. Not sure what to make of that guitar.

I also have a Mexican Roadhouse Strat ($300) that is quite amazing. And a Blacktop tele ($450) that is excellent. I'm amazed that guitars that good are that cheap.

I want a MIA tele, but it is purely an ego thing. I guess it's kind of like buying a Harley. Are H-D's really better than a japanese bike? I doubt it, but as one of my friends says "There is something about a Harley... you just get this 'The whole world can kiss my a$$' feeling".

Not sure if the ego will win this one or the wallet. It's a fight!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.