Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Affinity Tele maple fretboard finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by crossroads46, May 8, 2010.

1. crossroads46

crossroads46 TDPRI Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Addison, IL
    I have a Squier Affinity Tele with a maple fretboard. Compared to my Strat’s and older Tele’s this board seems almost unfinished and it is the best board I have played on. It almost seems bare with no finish of any kind but most likely has some finish or sealer. I recently acquired a Strat with a broken neck and am going to put a Warmoth unfinished maple neck on it and I would like to duplicate the finish on my Affinity Tele. Does anyone know exactly what finish it has, is it Tung oiled, satin Poly or bare or something else?

2. Soulmann

Soulmann Tele-Meister

May 8, 2010
    Victoria BC

3. crossroads46

crossroads46 TDPRI Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Addison, IL
    Thanks for the info

I really appreciate this info. Thanks again.

4. user34603

user34603 Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2016
    Richmond VA
    I wondered the same thing... and figured it was a flat, light coat of urethane sprayed on to keep it clean and feel 'dry'. So I took off tuners and the neck out of the pocket (carefully!) to VERY lightly sand with 800 grit black paper and then wipe clean/dry with a clean T-shirt rag. No need to refinish if the 'dry feel suits you, as it does me. While the neck is off is a good time to shim about 1/2 the pocket with a business card if the 12th fret string/fret top gap is right (about 1/16") AND the Allen saddle screws are sticking up enough to chafe the right hand in play. I set the screw tops (no string tension) barely under flush to the saddle top and shim 1-2 business cards as needed. Taper the 2 cards 1/2 and 1/3 from the rear of the pocket to slope it. Just my method... you may differ. I use the neck heel to pencil tip the card and cut about 1/16" off the treble side of the card to hide the card.

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    It's a finish you can't duplicate - an *extremely* thin polyurethane. Often the "invisible" types are robotically applied and cured instantly using ultraviolet light tunnels. It's not the same kind of application or curing process as anything you can buy, nor is the application equipment available on the DIY market.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.