Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Affinity compared to Standart

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Peterquelle, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Peterquelle

Peterquelle Tele-Meister

Aug 1, 2012
    austria
    Hi, I have a white Squier Standart Tele with a rosewood neck. I´ve been watching out for a butterscotch tele quite a time. Now I saw a cheap Affinity not far away from me. I want to rout it for a neck humbucker. Do you recommend to spend money in such a cheap guitar ? I really like my standart tele. (More like my Gibson LP). But are the affinitys also that good ?

2. papaphaedrus

papaphaedrus Tele-Meister

Dec 28, 2011
    St. Louis, Mo
    I know the bodies are thinner, and as I understand it, they are made of pine. I like them, and for a modding platform I would think they are a good choice. I would suggest playing it and seeing for yourself. Take a strap with you as I have heard there may be a slight chance of neck dive due to the decreased body weight. Others may be more knowledgeable on this front.

3. tabdog

tabdog Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2011
    Bryant, Arkansas
    I thought Affinity's were just inferior guitars and
    basses. I've had older Affinity basses and that
    has been my experience.

I saw a Squier Tele on CL and thought it was a
    VM or CV. When I got there, it was an Affinity.
    But, when I played it unplugged, it seemed real
    nice and it was just $100. So I got it.

All I did was to change the bridge puckup with
    a hot pickup with alinco magnets...... I like the
    smooth mellow sound of the stock neck pup.

That and dressing the frets made it play better
    and have better intonation than my parts Tele.
    It doesn't sound quite as good, but it looks as
    nice or better.

[​IMG]

I really like it.

They are made of alder. The package Tele's have
    string body and the non package deal Tele's are
    top loaders.

Mine is a top loader. I prefer top loaders,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know about other Affinity Tele's,
    but mine is that nice,

Tabdog

4. smallstoner

smallstoner Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2011
    buffalo, ny
    I really like my BSB Affinity Tele. I changed out all the electronics including pickups, And it sounds pretty good. Some notes:

The body on the BSB Affinities is Alder. It's thinner than standard, which may affect tone somewhat, but it's nice and light. It's a toploader, which seems to make the strings feel a bit looser than a backloader (I have 11s on my Squier, 10s on my MiM Tele, and 10.5s on everything else). The switch is flimsy. The pots are 500k, which makes the guitar sound ultra-bright. This has it's own charm, but I wound up replacing the mini-pots with CTS 250k, which darkened it nicely (the knobs are not full-sized but fit the new pots fine). I replaced the pickups with a set from a CV50s I got on ebay for 300 bucks--they're a bit hotter than vintage, but a definite improvement over the stock pups (although I agree with Tabdog that the neck pickup was pretty nice). The guitar sounds good--not as twangy as my MiM Standard, less immediately identifiable as a Telecaster, but it's a better "rock" guitar in that it hits overdrives better, and the bridge pickup alone still has some twang. The guitar looks a treat, with some nice grain showing through the butterscotch finish and a 1-ply black guard. .

The bad: The bridge saddles are cheap and flimsy, and the next (probably last) replacement I'll do. The neck pickup does not have the adjustment screws coming through the pickguard, so you have to remove the guard to adjust the height of that pickup.

The neck is just slightly narrower at the nut (1/20") than a standard, and this plus the way the nut is cut makes for narrow string spacing at the nut. It's hard to play cowboy chords on if you have fat fingers, but otherwise a very easy neck. A wider-cut nut could help with that. Tuning machines are good and stable. But anyway, you don't need the neck (though you might as well throw it on the other body, right?). [EDIT: Somehow I got the impression you wanted to swap the body with your Standard. Sorry about that.]

The neck pocket should fit a Fender neck fine, but it is a bit shallower due to the thinner body, which mean the neck (and saddles) stand a little higher off the body. The plus side of this is that it's easy to get very low action. Keep the thinner body in mind while routing, so you don't bore through the back of the thing.

That's all I got. Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

5. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 22, 2013
    Michigan
    Id say you're better off saving up a smidge for a classic vibe telecaster, as they are already routed for a humbucker, and are probably a much higher quality starter.

A "good" affinity is a rarity. There's a couple out there, but most would require a LOT of time and effort to get good straight from the box. If you want cheap AND quality, there's other ways to do that. Check out made in japan telecasters from the 70s and 80s.... some are better then their american counterparts, and rarely cost over 200 bucks.

6. 6stringvince

6stringvince TDPRI Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Toronto
    I have a butterscotch Affinity like the one you mentioned, baught it a pawn shop for $60, it's bone stock with the top loader bridge and all I can say is it's one of my favorite players. I've come to the conclusion that big price tags don't always equate to better. My favorite bass is a $40 pawn shop pbass copy with no name on the headstock (probably a 70's Japanese of some sort). The strings on it cost almost as much as the bass!
    Ironic that my most expensive guitar is a mid 60's Gibson ES345, and my most expensive bass is an American G$L L2000, yet I prefer to play these two pawn shop guitars, both of which add up to $100 combined!
    I think the key is good set up. I always spend a considerable amount of time tweeking whatever I buy. Beyond that it's vibe! I just seem to bond better with some guitars regardless of price tag.
    Good luck!
    Vince

7. smallstoner

smallstoner Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2011
    buffalo, ny
    Honestly, now that I realize you're just looking for a new guitar and not looking to swap parts out of it, I would probably go for a used Mexican Fender. The Classic Vibe Squiers are nice, though, and probably the best bang-for-buck in a new Tele. But you can get a used MiM Standard Tele for a little less (in the USA anyway). They're also pre-routed for a neck humbucker. You might have an easier time finding a CV in butterscotch blonde though.

The Affinity is a neat little guitar, and cheap, but chances are you won't like it quite as much as the Tele you already have. For $350 or so you can get a guitar that you'll like better.

8. Peterquelle

Peterquelle Tele-Meister

Aug 1, 2012
    austria
    Thank you very much for the quick answers. I think i will try it, but i guess the neck is to narrow for me, because I like necks wide as Gibsons at the nut. Maybe I´ll save a little up and go for a partsguitar or a classic vibe if a see one.

9. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA
    not hard to convert the Affinity bridge with 3 saddles for that "look!"

[​IMG]

10. Peterquelle

Peterquelle Tele-Meister

Aug 1, 2012
    austria
    Honestly, I like the modern 6-saddle bridges more.

Another question. How hot is the bridge pickup ? I will swap for a humbucker in the neck but i guess a regular humbucker and a regular single coil in the bridge wont work well ? Guess the HB would be too strong.

11. telecat33511

telecat33511 Tele-Holic

Aug 9, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    Standard is a little better
    - but I still change the same things on both affinity and standard

I changed the bridge saddles, pots and voila !
    Even the stock pickups sound like a strat
    :idea:
    Yeah, the body is thinner ( Agathis ) on affinities.
    Neck is still maple fingerboard is still rosewood
    File the fret ends and you have a gig worthy player
    I have 2 for sale in the classifieds
    :oops:

12. breams

breams TDPRI Member

Jan 20, 2013
    My first foray into teles was a BSB Affinity and it was a great player from the beginning. I tried a Classic Vibe in the store at the same time and it just didn't say anything to me that I wasn't getting from the Affinity. Over time I only had one complaint (well, one and a half).

Firstly, the half was that it hummed like nobody's business. I've had a bunch of single coiled guitars over the years and this was the worst I've encountered. It would've been improved with some shielding and attention paid to the electronics, I'm sure, but I wasn't interested in doing that because of the main fault...the neck width.

It seems that I have fingers on the larger side because the width at the nut was way too cramped for me. It was a real shame because otherwise the neck felt fantastic! It was smooth, straight and sleek. The fret ends were a bit rough, but that's not unusual. Not being able to effortlessly fret chords, especially when fingerpicking was something I couldn't abide. So it had to go.

In the end I sold it to a guy just getting back into the guitar after a few decades away from it, and I'd like to think that I sold him something he's still playing really happily. As long as he doesn't have equally sizeable digits.

Anyway, long story short, Affinities are super, as long as you play them first and make sure they feel right for your playing style.

13. Peterquelle

Peterquelle Tele-Meister

Aug 1, 2012
    austria
    Ok, I spoke to the guy who sells it and I will try it on monday. I looked around for a neck pickup and I guess GFS has the best for the money. I want something like Keith Richards, a PAF-style in the neck and a hot (about 10k) SC in the bridge. I guess this one would fit quite nice. What do you think ?
    http://www.guitarfetish.com/Repro-1960s-HOT-Alnico-Tele-Bridge-Pickup_p_652.html

And what about the bucker ?
    This: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Alnico-Fat-Pat-Boutique-Humbucker-Chrome_c_43.html
    or this:
    http://www.guitarfetish.com/Vintage-59-Nickel-Classic-Alnico-V-Humbucker-_c_169.html

14. papaphaedrus

papaphaedrus Tele-Meister

Dec 28, 2011
    St. Louis, Mo
    I'd personally go with the vintage '59. Bridge pu looks ok, and I think the two will balance well. I have only used 1 GFS set. I bought the NEOvin power rocker noiseless tele set and wish I would have bought a more vintage voiced set. The springs are flimsy, soget some tubing or buy their upgrade springs. Just my.02

15. smallstoner

smallstoner Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2011
    buffalo, ny
    I found the bridge pickup on mine to be a bit harsh and shrill. Going by what you want, I'd recommend a GFS Lil' Puncher. I've never had one but played a friend's Tele with one in the bridge and I was super-impressed. It's a double-rail HB but doesn't lose anything in terms of twang, and just sounded good and beefy to me. I don't know which version I played, but there is a 10k variety, the "Modern Vintage", whatever that means. http://www.guitarfetish.com/Lil-Puncher-XL-Neck-Pickup-2-Versions-Available_p_464.html

16. Muddslide

Muddslide Tele-Afflicted

Jun 28, 2008
    Gypsy Caravan
    I prefer the Squier Standards, but part of that is that I guess I am OCD enough that the thinner Affinity bodies bug me a little. The Affinitys I've played, some of them at least, had necks I didn't get along with too well either, but they sure ain't bad guitars. A lot of people love 'em and it's hard to argue with that price.

17. Peterquelle

Peterquelle Tele-Meister

Aug 1, 2012
    austria
    Ok, I wont take GFS Pickups, they charge 20 Dollars shipping to my place, and thats simply too much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.