Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Affinity - Can't decide on color...

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Fretman67, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Fretman67

Fretman67 TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Canada
    Hi folks,

So I decided I would like to get a Tele. I don't want to spend too much as this will be an in-home type of guitar for leisure purposes only. Not going to be gigging with this. The Squier Affinity fits the bill for me. Thought about the Classic Vibe but didn't want to spend the extra money. Also thought a lot about going with maple or rosewood fingerboard. Since I have 2 guitars and both have rosewood, I am gonna go with the maple. Narrowed it down to two colours. Arctic white or 2-color sunburst. I really can’t decide.

Anyone here able to help me out to sway my decision one way or the other? I haven't seen either in any local shop here...only images on the net.

One more thing, anyone have any reasons or personal experiences why I shouldn't get the Affinity and might recommend another Tele model?

Thanks everyone.

2. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 7, 2015
    Florida
    White. Classic.

Alamo, RoCkstAr256 and cvaughn927 like this.

3. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    They’re both classic colors and seems you don’t dislike either. I recommend you go try them and get the one that feels and sounds the best and get that color.

BCblues55 likes this.

4. hippychip

hippychip Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2015
    Florida
    White---classic, but boring
    2-color burst---beautiful, but usually ruined with ugly white pickguards
    BSB---Timeless, and elegant

[​IMG]

5. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    White.

Leaves you a ton of pickguard options, and works with both both maple and dark fretboards.

But you gotta convert to vintage 3 bridge, even if as a toploader.

But I don't think they even come in white these days, though I could be wrong.

ickylick likes this.

6. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    BSB is a classic choice IMHO, mine also has a black pg though I have an ivory coloured one to fit.
    Affinity Telecasters are really good vfm, play and sound real good once set up and pickup heights have been done
    20180403_180247.jpg

RoCkstAr256 likes this.

7. Fretman67

Fretman67 TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Canada
    Gmountain, Rich815, thanks for your comments. Have not found a store yet to see either color in person so still looking at this point.

Hippychip, Ira7, 5ofeight, I considered the BSB as well but was not fond of the black pickguard. For some reason, I prefer the white pickguard. The Squier Affinity comes available in an “Artic White”. I saw it on the Fender/Squier website.

Thanks to all for your feedback...appreciate it.

5ofeight likes this.

8. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    If my wife wouldn't kill me, I would order the Arctic White myself right now. However, she doesn't understand that 8 Telecasters aren't enough.

9. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 7, 2015
    Florida
    "This old guitar? I got it years ago. It was in the closet, remember?"

klkampman and Ira7 like this.

10. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    She started counting two years ago.

Jimmy Owen likes this.

11. pcampbell

pcampbell Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jan 9, 2013
    Memphis, Tennessee
    I have a bsb affinity tele that I picked up (used) for $90 a few years ago. Like it a lot, but it's not stock. I made some definite improvements. Has DiMarzio area T pickups, string saver saddles, and a graph tech nut. One downside, or at least something many would consider to be a downside, is that the affinities have narrow string spacing. That improved on mine with the new nut, fortunately, but that can be a deal breaker for some players, and there can be an issue about how worthwhile it is to spend much money modding such an inexpensive guitar.

12. cbh5150

cbh5150 Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2009
    The outer banks of Chicagoland
    Maybe get both? ;)

13. hippychip

hippychip Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2015
    Florida
    I bought my BSB 2009 Tele in 2014 for $100---flawless---the original owner paid for a pro setup when he bought it new, and gave up after a month---I figured it would be a good modding platform, but I haven't felt the need to change anything---the neck is sweet, the tuners are stable, and the pups are all Tele! I won't say that all of the Affinities are this good , but I love this one!

14. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2018
    North idaho
    White with a maple neck gets my vote. Never was a big fan of sunburst unless it’s double bound

cvaughn927 likes this.

15. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Actually that's not a standard or vintage tint on the body, but it sure does look nice.

16. Fretman67

Fretman67 TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Canada
    Based on the latest comments, I'm now weary of ordering online. Looks like it might be best to buy straight from a local shop if and when they ever get one. The narrower string spacing is something I need to play to see if it's very different from what I'm playing now. Would like to get both colors but now leaning slightly towards the white. Thanks again.

17. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Damn:

If I wasn't putting my Nordic White Stupidcaster together now, I would order a white Affinity and Esquire it.

I didn't know they even came in white.

18. Fretman67

Fretman67 TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Canada

19. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    I've got a competition orange, but if it was between those two choices, I would go white. Sunburst is nice too though.

20. Fretman67

Fretman67 TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Canada
    Thanks. The orange or red was a color I would've gone with if I had decided on the rosewood fingerboard.

Fendereedo likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.