Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Afffinity Telecaster

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by RoCkstAr256, May 25, 2017.

1. hippychip

hippychip TDPRI Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Florida
    Grab the Affinity---I have an '06 that I haven't done any mods to---except for swapping out a bad switch I haven't done anything but play it!
    [​IMG]

RoCkstAr256 and orangeblossom like this.

2. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    If you have a playable guitar and $175, then hide the money in a sock, practice on your current ride, and save another $175 and buy a decent CV or MIM as others have suggested. I've owned teles from every country and era, and the electronics are god awful on Affinities- there's at least $100 before you have a real player. If you can't save the extra, then you're broke, and should be becoming a better blues player, and maybe get yourself a gig, then an MIA....

3. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Guitar center here has lower prices than some pawn shops or online sellers. The Squier CV 50 cost here 450$. Wont be able to purchase it. Getting affinity, if anythings wrong i can resign from it

4. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    My new affinitys electronics arent as bad as people with older models say. I also have gibsons and have had american fenders before so im not a noob. If you know how to use the volume and tone control to shape the sound you can get some great tones. I may at some point upgrade the pickups but maybe not. They sound fine. If the pots crap out so what? You should know how to solder anyway.

noah330 likes this.

5. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    Yes, you can get to work in a Yugo. Yes, you can. But a SAAB is more fun. Get the MIM.

6. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    The guy is in Poland. Things cost more over there. A MIM may not be pheasable, available or affordable. Over here in the guitar promise land we got guitars being given away on craigslist. An affinity may be the only thing the poster can get.

RoCkstAr256, Ira7 and noah330 like this.

7. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    Just saw you're in Poland- different story. I still would save and play the blues, though!!!

8. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    I know when you get the hots for a new guitar it can drive you crazy, but be patient. Check ebay, Guitar Center Used Gear (they have one online $159), and Reverb. Sooner or later the right deal will come up, one that's affordable and a right fit for you. Good Luck!

9. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Mostly here in EU; Ibanez, Schecter and Esp have closest price tag compared to USA. Fender, Gibsons and PRS are much more expensive then these you have in the USA. Guitar will arrive in a few days, whats the best string gauge for tele ? 9,10,11 ?

10. Lead2Fan

Lead2Fan Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    East Coast
    String gauge is a matter of personal preference, use whatever feels good to you. I've been playing since 2008 after a 20+ year layoff and still use D'Addario's EXL120 .009-.042 strings. One thing is for sure it is that the factory Squier strings are lower quality than the aftermarket/separate sale brands like D'Addario, Elixir, GHS etc.

Remember that if you choose "thicker" (heavier) strings you may have to have the nut cut to accommodate them and prevent binding.

68Telebass likes this.

11. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Aug 2, 2014
    Northern Arizona
    Have a shop do this and set the truss rod tension while you are at it- if you have someone with skills and tools where you are.
    I like 10s...
    12s on the Jazzmaster with a wound G..

Lead2Fan likes this.

12. MadRocker

MadRocker TDPRI Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Finland
    2006 Affinity was my first Tele. I still got it! :)

RoCkstAr256 likes this.

13. zamdrang

zamdrang TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2017
    California
    Had to chime in. I bought a butterscotch Affinity Tele brand new on a whim. I have been playing for 30+ years, have many high end guitars. Does it compete? For tone no, for my time yes, I play the hell out of it.

It pretty much stays by the couch and bed and on the porch etc.. I like having a guitar that can fall over or get scratched or played with dirty hands etc and I don't care. I have bought many guitars for this purpose through the years and most of them end up sold or given away because they don't have any redeeming qualities that make me want to play them... this one does.

I like it enough I am going to drop a few bucks and try my hand at refinishing it.

In my experience, the cheap Squiers are far better guitars than the cheap Epiphones.

nicod98 likes this.

14. Daves03

Daves03 TDPRI Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Dallas NC
    I have a blue one and love it plays great sounds good for someone who just enjoys playing I'm no brad paisley but enjoy it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.