Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Afffinity Telecaster

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by RoCkstAr256, May 25, 2017.

1. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    Please do, they really are lovely guitars and have their own voice... lets know when it arrives, so we cant count the days down for you...lool

RoCkstAr256 likes this.

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Well, your #4 opinion is totally discredited by everyone who's posted here.

And your #3 is highly suspicious:

Of course you're not getting top-rated tuners (It's a cheap guitar, remember?)

As far as electronics, one may not love the pups, but switches and soldering are just fine.

3. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2009
    Missouri
    That isn't true. Read a few posts back. I wasn't the only one to suggest saving a little bit more for a different guitar.
    Suspicious? Are you kidding me? This is generally a very kind community on here. I was trying to help the original poster make an informed decision like everyone else based on my experience. There is nothing suspicious about that. That's a ridiculous thing to assert.

5ofeight likes this.

4. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    I have to agree with the few here... wait, save some more, get an mim or a Squire CV. That's what I did, and I am so glad I waited.

5. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Guys i cant save up that much, 175$ isnt a loss. Got ibanez RG7421 PB SBF last October, i need to try out teles for a first time ;) Ibby did cost 500$

6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    At least get better and decent one. A squire CV used should cost a little bit more.

7. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    So you have an even split for, and against. Predictable. Go to a store, try the Affinity, try a MIM, and try a MIA. If they all have a decent setup, I KNOW which one will go home with you.

5ofeight and Ira7 like this.

8. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    If I see the guitar I can tell right away, because a "60's C" neck will taper a lot down at around the 4th or 3rd fret. That's what I prefer, but I'd go for any "C" carve as long as it's not the super flat "modern C."

9. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    I bought a BSB affinity tele china edition a couple weeks ago and did almost nothing to it but raise the action and file some sharp fret edges. Its great . While i was in the store the setup guys was putting new fender noiseless pups in the exact same guitar for someone else. When i took mine back to get my setup done another identical guitar was on his bench getting the same pups installed. When i picked mine up a week later another BSB affiniity tele just like the rest was on his bench getting a setup or something. Meanwhile i bought the other one they had in the store for a backup. Im in the store today droppiny off my 2nd one for a setup and you guessed it. Another one on his bench getting new pickups. This means Squier is selling boatloads of these things and alot of people are putting fender noiseless pups in them which they wouldnt do for a throwaway guitar.

10. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Watch the nuts on these things. The nut on my Affinity Strat is horrible. Can't even use the whammy bar. But I saw that when I got it. I was going to hot rod it so the nut was going anyway. Which is where Squires really give you bang for your buck, upgrade the pickups and any hardware that's not up to the job, and you got a jammin' axe for less than the price of a MIM. The bodies on these are nice, and you have to go unit by unit but you'll get yourself a great neck if you look long enough.

But omg unit by unit, I got a good one at GC. So I was in there today and the one they had on the wall to replace the one I got, the strings are wrapped around the posts in the wrong direction! Holy moly if they come from the factory that way caveat emptor.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.

11. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Getting it 12.06 :) Guitar Center in Poland has quite nice prices, almost like used here. Is this forum only American haha ?

cbh5150 likes this.

12. therealfindo

therealfindo Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2012
    Germany
    I see you've ordered already.. affinities are decent first guitars and a great modding platform.
    However I was going to suggest this ash sx Tele: https://m.muziker.de/en/sx-standard-tl-ash-natural
    I assume polish price is equivalent to roughly 200€
    It's more the squier standard series quality.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.

13. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2015
    uk
    ive got an early affinity tele and the fit and finish on it is top notch.ive got a good few guitars but the affinity is the I play most round the house

14. Kojer

Kojer Tele-Meister

Sep 11, 2015
    Manila, PH
    Bought an affinity tele pack early this year, sunburst, maple neck and suprisingly has decent fit and finish. Bang for the buck i say. I had to let her go in a trade but will not hesitate to pickup another one when i get the tele itch again :)

RoCkstAr256 likes this.

15. Pete215

Pete215 TDPRI Member

May 25, 2017
    Johnson City, ny
    My experience with Affinity Teles has been good so far. I got one as a gift when they were listed out at a lower price than they are now. I love the fit and finish, the shop I got it from did a full setup and fret level. I have replaced the electronics with a 62RI pickup at the bridge and a Twisted tele neck and bourn pots. The neck is great, and now the sound is dead even with anything I have used. I am a firm believer in the product and I watch for them used so as to grab more...if they are cheap enough!

16. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I have owned a few Affinity Teles, and I still own a rather battered, modded one.

Sure some folks don't like the pickups, but I didn't find them that bad. I tried them out wired to a four way and they sounded okay to me.

The plastic jack socket needs replacing, and while the six saddle bridge makes more accurate intonation, its design means that the saddle sometimes work loose. It can easily be swapped for a topload three saddle one though.

The neck is the thing that divides opinion.

It is slim, and the nut is narrow, though I have got a string spacing of 36-37mm out of one. I prefer chunkier necks, but some players may love it.

I swapped the neck on my current beater Affinity, for a Squier SE Strat one which has a slightly chunkier profile.

Good guitars for modding and souping up IMO

17. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    The newest affinity bsb special tele has a wider and chunkier neck than you describe.

18. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    I'm a huge fan. It was my first tele, and I have since upgraded the neck, the bridge, pickups and electronics. But it sounded good out of the box. That was great, and then I upgraded stuff as I could afford to.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.

19. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Count me in the camp that suggest saving up just a little more for a Classic Vibe tele. I've seen half a dozen or so of the 50's butterscotch blonde and the vintage blonde go for right around $225 on EBAY these past few months (a few of those with free shipping). You just gotta keep an eye out.

The Classic Vibe Custom I purchased recently came setup nearly perfectly... only thing it needed was about 1/8th of a turn on the truss rod... action and intonation were practically spot on out of the box. However, I bumped the strings from 9's to 10's which pulled the neck right where it needed to be. I had to adjust the intonation because of the string guage difference, but you can definitely do that yourself.

So instead of spending $175 on the affinity, I'd be patient, mow a couple of lawns for $25 each and try and find a Classic Vibe 50's for that $225 range. You can find it... you just might have to be patient for a few weeks and be diligent in your search. In doing so, you'll get a quality guitar you can grow with and you won't necessarily have to spend money on down the line making upgrades to it (though you definitely can do that as well if you want). I haven't touched my Les Paul, Fender 57 reissue, or any of my other guitars since getting my hands on my Classic Vibe Custom. It is so nice I just can't put it down. Find a way to save the extra $50 or so and do a used CV... you won't regret it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.