Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier Afffinity Telecaster

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by RoCkstAr256, May 25, 2017.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Hey, i have few buck to spare for first telecaster, however i cant afford thinline since im quite poor at the moment.

I have tried a few telecasters in a local store. they were quite cool. A bit heavy and uncomforable but i can stand it. Although, i havent tried Squier Affinity Telecaster because local store doesnt have it and wont be able get it. So guitar center is my only option. PLaying Ibanez 7 string at the moment, would love some blues.

There are many positive opinions about those squier affinity strats, few questions my tele friends.
    1. Is Squier Affinity Telecaster thinner than regular telecaster from squier or fender?
    2. Is it lighter than other teles which were a bit heavy?
    3.What about quality ?
    4.Price Tag here 175$ for New One.
    5.Why is it that sexy? Aiming for butterscotch blonde. I love blondes so you known :D

2. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2009
    Missouri
    1. Yes they are thinner.
    2. I would assume that they would naturally generally be lighter because they are thinner.
    3. I think the quality is terrible. I've seen terrible electronics and pickups in them, as well as one guitar with multiple broken tuning keys.
    4. I would not pay that much for one. I would save for something that was better quality.

Tonetele and RoCkstAr256 like this.

3. zhyla

zhyla TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Northern Hemisphere
    If you can find an Affinity Tele used locally for, say, $100, I don't think that's a bad deal. I think they're usable but a little on the chintzy side.

Mainly what you're saving money on is tuners and pickups. I can live with very poor tuners and pickups can be swapped out. And you may have minor setup issues to deal with... but in that price range pretty much anything will have some issue.

If you can stomach $175 I would say keep an eye on Craigslist for either a MIM Tele or a higher end Squier (CV?). I think you can snag a MIM for around $300. Perversely you can sometimes find better deals on used MIM than used Squiers.

I haven't poked at Squier teles lately but I played a VM Jazzmaster and Jaguar recently. Great looking, great sounding guitars.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Squier Teles are not as bad as you're getting lead to believe here. It all depends on how you use the guitar.

Some of the Squier Teles have chunky necks (that's what I like) while some have necks carved more like the Squier Strats (too thin for me, but some love it).

The pickups have ceramic magnets that will not lose their magnetism like Alnico pickups (what all the traditionalists chase and complain about). The trick is you lower them toward the guitar body and they sweeten up just like those Alnico pickups. Or you raise them close to the strings and have that heavy hitting metal thing going on.

Get the Affinity and consider these mods:

-Full setup. Consider getting a full fret level/crown/polish/setup because it's only $50 more than the setup fee and has huge value in playing improvement.
    -bourns volume pot, it will feel like a quality guitar and you'll not have any problems later (I've worn out stock volume pots).
    -4-way switch (gives you humbucker tones so you can play like a les paul)

The thinner body will lighten the guitar weight.

jcsk8, CFFF, Dr Improbable and 3 others like this.

5. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Wrong on 3 and 4.

Totally wrong!

jcsk8, Kojer, xafinity and 4 others like this.

6. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Which Squier Teles have the chunky necks? I'm wondering what the necks on the current CV50s are like, if they're "modern C", "60s C", or something else entirely.

dreamingtele likes this.

7. cbh5150

cbh5150 Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2009
    The outer banks of Chicagoland
    Affinity Teles are some of the best guitars $200 new will buy. Bodies are thinner, but still alder and still have some weight to 'em. Stock pickups are better than they deserve to be. Neck may be a bit narrow at the nut, but not a toothpick, and has a very smooth satin finish. They are good enough that while used Affinity Strats litter the landscape, the Affinity Teles are a lot harder to come by used and mint, because people who buy them tend to keep them.

Playing an Affinity Tele for the first time years ago was the epiphany that I needed that finally convinced me that Teles were great guitars (I had pretty much ignored them beforehand).

jcsk8, Pete215, RoCkstAr256 and 3 others like this.

8. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    Nothing wrong with the squier telecaster, The quality of mine(which i bought used)is as good as any other tele on the market and dont let the brand snobs tell you other wise.
    20170129_142500.jpg

Anode100, Pete215, Sjnoring and 3 others like this.

9. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    I think the Affinity line is fantastic- and I have 3 USA Fenders with which to
    compare.

jcsk8 and Pete215 like this.

10. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Great choice for a first tele - Affinities are good quality guitars!

Ira7, RoCkstAr256 and Lead2Fan like this.

11. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2009
    Missouri
    Just to be clear, are you saying that I have not experienced those things on the Affinity line?

12. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2009
    Missouri
    I forgot to mention that the jack on the Affinity line uses a plastic jack mount (unless they've changed it). Mine cracked in a pretty short amount of time leaving the jack loose. I bought a metal one to replace it.
    By the way, I'm not anti-Squier. One of my favorite guitars is a Squier from the early 80s. I just don't care for the Affinity Teles.

13. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    My experience with Affinities has been good. I've got two teles. One is a 2003 USA Highway One and the other is a 2006 Affinity Squier BSB. I end up playing my squire more than the Hwy 1. i have to admit though, that mine has had quite a bit of work done to improve it:
    1-The previous owner who I know personally re-worked the frets to be smoother and did a good job because the neck/frets feel great.
    2-I shielded the cavity, added a Fender USA tele wiring kit and replaced the neck pickup with a stu mac Golden Age Alnico V pickup.
    3-The tuners and bridge hardware is stock.

So I would highly recommend getting the BSB Affinity and you don't have to mod it right away, just jam on it a while. After you've played on it a while I think it will come to you pretty naturally what mods you need to accomplish. So yes I think it's a great value for what you get. Platefire
    AS full.jpg

14. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    I've tried Teles over the years, but never got into them. The major factor is the neck which is usually on the chunky side.

Last year my friend borrowed me a Ken-era Parker Nitefly. That's a superbly playable instrument.

Then I bumped into a second-hand Affinity Tele (-95 I believe), about the same price as the one you're eyeing and bought it. After that the Parker was forgotten in the corner. That's my first Tele, but definitely not the last... unfortunately the neck warped when I brought it back home (climate I guess) so now it's in pieces waiting to be re-born as a genuine partscaster.

Yes, the Affinity is light. I got to be friends with the neck immediately - which takes something as I'm used to 60's Hagström. Yes, the tuners were terrible, but I've never seen a cheap guitar where they aren't. The sound was amazing. Don't know if I got lucky and found a gem in the pile, or if someone changed the pups - at least the jack is replaced with a receded one.

I'm right now eyeing an American Elite... but that's an expensive tool, so I'm seriously considering buying another Affinity in the meantime.

Same applies to these as any other guitar. F logos and labels - pick it up and play. If it fits your hand, tuners and pups don't cost you an arm and a leg. I think it's a solid instrument, and a solid base for upgrades.

Ira7 likes this.

15. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    I'll definitely grant you the crappy plastic jack plate. Mine went quick, too and got replaced with a metal cup. Nevertheless, my overall experiences with Affinities are good(I have four). Obviously, yours have not been so good within that line. On the other hand, I do replace those pots and switches, just for some better long term reliability.:)

Last edited: May 26, 2017

16. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    +1
    Setup is/will be needed on 99% of all guitars.
    The electronics are very usable, and can be upgraded later.
    My plastic jack is hanging just fine.
    They are thinner, but mine weighs about the same as a MIM, Agathis weighs more than Alder?
    Tuners are eh, ok, but a bit sloppy for me - but so are the MIM's.

Here's an FSR Tele Bullet, for $129 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Squier-FSR-...912283?hash=item25d69581db:g:uZMAAOSwIQdZFjBN

Get it, enjoy it, adjust/mod it as needed - same as any guitar.

17. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

The sQuier CV50's have really nice necks. but not as chunky as you think. its more like modern C with more meat. the CVC's are on the thin side, but really comfortable.

18. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Ok this makes me wanna buy it, i can send it back in a 10 days so ill give it a try :D

5ofeight likes this.

19. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    It seems really hit/miss, dependent on deciphering which factory of the dozen used actually made a particular guitar.
    My Affinity has a chunkier neck while my Squier Standard has the Squier-Strat-thin carve.

Either try out in person or see if you can get a picture of the side of the neck of the exact guitar you are considering - if the carve starts behind the fretboard glue-line then it will feel chunkier, if the carve starts at the leading edge of the fretboard then it will feel thin; or another way if you see a flat edge of the fretboard will have chunkier carve, acute angle fretboard edge will be a thin feeling carve. People spend a lot of time on arguing +/-1mm on nut width and it's that shoulder carve that is important -- they should publish neck circumference as that is the practical problem of wrapping your hand around the neck that people struggle with.

20. Sooper8

Sooper8 Tele-Meister

May 24, 2011
    UK- Midlands
    I'd say hang on and go for used CV. I really think it's a better option.
    If you start upgrading an Affinity then in the end you'll be paying more

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.