Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squeaky floor

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    Whaddaya do about it? I have a 1926 Craftsman with wood floors that are in very good shape. But sometime in the last 20 years, an insidious squeak began to appear. It is focused on a 5'x5' area in the dining room. It's near the door to the kitchen.

Because of my health, I doubt that I could get up a ladder in the basement and try to fix it myself.

What are my options? I don't want to do the whole first floor, but I don't know if anyone would even bother coming out for a small, localized area. I also don't know if such an area can be fixed, without doing an entire room or something.

I don't sleep more than an hour or two at a time (CIDP), as the pain wakes me. I usually slip out of the room in the middle of the night, and sit in the dining room, surfing on my laptop, while doing exercises and stretches in the hands and legs. I have to be quiet about this, so I don't wake my wife. I don't think it's my imagination that the squeaks are getting louder. She has noticed this, too, at other times.

Again, what are my options? This isn't a super big problem. I'm just wondering if there is a non-complicated way of addressing this.

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Do you have the air/furnace all the time? Sometimes just humidifying to a more normal/comfortable level resolves, if so.

3. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    Here is one idea.

4. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    Ah! Will try this.

5. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    If your joists supporting the floor are exposed in the basement ceiling, it may be possible to drive some tapered shims between the joist and the subfloor under the squeak to lessen the play. If a joist is sagging a bit, it may be possible to jack it up and screw another board to it to stiffen it. There are several tricks that the tradesmen in your area should know.

Teleguy61 likes this.

6. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    My home was built in 1860 by the railroad and had a ton of squeaks when I started to rebuild it. IF you can get access to the floor joists, that is your best bet. Then you can raise a sagging joist or shim the floor as needed. If not, those break-away screws used in the video are a good option.

I have used both methods as this is a 2.5 story house. The screws do work very well, especially on stairs and you can drive them right through the carpet if you have that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.