Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Springs for Neck Pickup

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by skeeterbuck, May 12, 2017.

1. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck TDPRI Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I'm trying to find out exactly how the neck pickup is mounted in a blackguard Tele. I have Nacho's book and it looks like the springs are actually recessed into the bottom of the neck pickup cavity. If this is correct I'd like to know how deep the holes are and what is the overall length of the spring.

As complete as Nacho's book is, he seemed to have left out this tidbit of info.:)

Thanks!

2. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    The pickup is screwed into the wood. The springs are almost like an afterthought and there is minimal adjustment. I have a 68 that came from the factory that way. You should be able to check out an online supplier for the spring size, most pickup makers supply them when you buy a p/u.

3. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    The springs actually work themselves into the wood around the screw holes over years of downward force—they were not set into the wood originally.

Johnson johnson and codamedia like this.

4. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 18, 2003
    UK
    I remember buying a tele body from Glendale that had been made by the late Brian Poe at High Tech Tool, and the neck pickup springs were included, and they sat in little holes that were drilled same size as the outside diameter of the springs. Here's a link to High Tech Tool, and pics that show springs sitting in the drilled holes.
    http://www.hightechtool.com/guitar/

5. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    I have a 68 that I bought new. There are no little holes for the springs to sit in - are screwed to the flat wood.

6. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    The neck pu never had the surgical tubing ?
    I always thought they had that too in the old days

7. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Pretty sure angela.com has the springs. Alternatively, you can try Darren Riley's shop. That guy has everything.

8. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    (Age: 54) Toronto
    I bought my springs from Brian a few years ago, in order to convert my Esquire into a Tele. I didn't know he died. That's very sad news! :(

He loved vintage Teles and contributed a lot on the old Weber board. I think he personally owned a beautiful 1958 tele. There were lots of up close and personal photos on the vintage Tele photo site. :cool:

9. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    You can also use stacks of washers to get a different sound. The p-up acts as a contact mike as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.