Spring reverb in 2019... why??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Jun 15, 2019.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Really... why? Nostalgia? It certainly isn't because "digital can't reproduce the sound of spring reverb", because it can. And it's not because spring reverb is more "natural", because it's not. Whenever you hear reverberation in nature, it's because sound waves are bouncing from one flat surface to another and dissipating, not because we all live in a giant metal box with huge springs stretched across it. Spring reverb is no more "natural" than, and is in fact just as artificial as, digital reverb. My opinion (of course) is that we're deciding between fake reverb from an IC as opposed to fake reverb from a mechanical device with moving parts that do go bad... and in 2019, what in the heck is keeping guitarists from moving forward with proven technology?

One of the best, smoothest spring reverbs I've ever had was in a Mesa Boogie Studio 22 combo I had. But it still wasn't as smooth as the digital reverb in my inexpensive little Vox AC10C1.

2. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Lets all go bury an empty giant propane tank in the ground, and install a speaker and a mic in it...

Now that's REAL reverb!

:lol::lol::lol:

3. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Technology...some people embrace it and others rail against it.

Sometimes one person will do both at different times of their life.

We're a funny species.

4. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

Same reason there are still tube amps being made. Same reason some people want hide glue holding their acoustics together. Same reason some people got to have a three barrel Telecaster bridge.

5. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Because when you kick a reverb tank it goes "BAAARRRRAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNGGGGGGG" and that's cool. Try that with your little computer amps and effects.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    basher, Dr Improbable, rz350 and 43 others like this.
  6. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

I prefer spring tanks. I don't have a reason, and I don't feel like I need one. I had a very modern sounding digital verb with my Avalanche Run, and the sound just wasn't for me. I hate every verb on every strymon pedal. I just like spring tanks on old fender amps. Not because they're the "smoothest" or the "most organic". Just because they sound good and other things don't.

7. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I use the discontinued Boss/Fender FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb Pedal. Best reveb pedal ever IMHO, never use the spring reverb in any of my amps anymore, except my 68 Custom Princeton Reverb, the spring reverb in that is magical.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m sure it’s the exact same circuit but I found the tankless fake reverb in my AC10 to be more convincing and just plain better than the fake reverb into a tank of my AC15...:confused:

Uhhhh...I can do that with my Ocean’s 11 pedal

rigid650, Greggorios and TelePunkJCM like this.
  9. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

I have the Source Audio True Spring pedal and it’s about as nice as a real tank. Why do I have a spring reverb pedal? Cause I like surf music! You gotta do some kind of spring reverb when you’re playing surf, whether it’s 2019 or whatever.

10. Mike Eskimo

I like real tube-driven reverb with a tank as well - and not just for surf.

But after having the use of a buddy’s RI Fender outboard reverb unit for 6 mos, I find the one-knob unit on Fender combos kinda lacking/primitive.

Paul in Colorado and Jimmy Owen like this.
  11. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I use both. A real spring reverb sounds EXACTLY like...wait for it...spring reverb. It's a sound we hear on so many of our favorite recordings and I think that's part of what makes it sound "right" to our ear. On the other hand, and as you point out, it doesn't sound like natural reverberations...I use my Neunaber Immerse for that. Moreover, digital reverbs can do some wonderful, though equally unnatural, things. I love the "wet" mode in the Neunaber, for example.

Greggorios, howardlo and middy like this.
  12. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

When I use an amp with a Reverb tank, I’ll use that...if not, digital is ok..

More and more I don’t use either much anymore

13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I went to a local open mic thing recently, where the houseband keys guy had two massive leslie cabinets set up. I was like, "really?" It was still cool though

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. blowtorch

Anyway, this is what I use for reverb
    upload_2019-6-15_9-59-41.jpeg
    :cool:

15. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

Some types of reverb sound more pleasing to the ear than others. Digital sounds very precise and clean. Real spring and plate reverbs sound more organic. They are a bit more primitive. And that's what some people like to hear.
    Some people like bananas.
    Some people like oranges.
    Some people don't eat fruit.

Greggorios likes this.
  16. Mike Eskimo

But - any fan of real tube-driven spring reverb will have to admit that it’s just a simulation of ...space and/or distance.

No spring tank on Walter’s harmonica or his amp - just space/distance between his amp and the mic (solo at 1:10)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Greggorios and Flaneur like this.
  17. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

It really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I usually use a Boss RV-6 because it emulates all different kinds of reverb and opens up sounds I couldn't get with just a tank.

But I'm not opposed to using the built in reverb on my AC15 if I don't feel like hauling out my pedal board, either.

I also think that digital has become so commonplace that it is just cool to use a "primitive" mechanical solution as a novelty. It's not necessary, but then again, some people would argue that music isn't necessary either. But we all know it makes everything a lot more enjoyable.

Jake Nelson and RetroTeleRod like this.
  18. blowtorch

who was it that famously said if you turn it up loud enough, it doesn't need reverb?

8barlouie likes this.
  19. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

Don't get me going again about spring reverbs! I have one in my modular synth rack and my only wish is that I could drive it harder. It does allow full wet and there's even a feedback path, but all that seems to do is oscillate when I turn it up.

I've worked with reverb simulations using DSP down at the detailed "what the **** is it doing" level and can tell you that it's actually much easier in DSP to get a room or hall sound than to ACCURATELY simulate a spring. Lots of spring simulations do not sound that springy to me. And lots of spring reverbs bent over backwards to sound smoother and less springy (slaps forehead).

BRING ON THE SPRING I SAY! FLIP ON THE DRIP! DON'T DELAY!

20. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Nobody wants a spring reverb to replicate the sound of reverberations in an actual physical space, they want it to replicate the sounds we've all come to know and love from old records. You want actual ambient reverb, get a digital pedal or an old Lexicon rackmount unit.

And while digital emulators do an admirable job of replicating the sounds of tube driven tanks, they're not perfect. The Boss FRV-1 sounds great clean, but hit it with a Fuzz Face and it gets nasty (in a bad way) quick. For myself, I use the tube driven '60s anachronism spring reverb in my DRRI because it sounds good. With my Traynor I use a Topanga pedal because the Traynor doesn't have onboard reverb. It sounds good too... just different.

I'm fortunate enough to have a large warehouse space to record in, and when I track drums I stick a couple mics about 20' out to each side of the kit. Smash those with an 1176 plugin, and there's your reverb.

Torren61, E5RSY, Greggorios and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.