Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Spraying lacquer in the cold?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by hesleptonstuart, Feb 11, 2013.

1. hesleptonstuart

hesleptonstuart Tele-Meister

Its about 3 degrees celsius in Scotland right now and I know you shouldn't spray lacquer in the cold but what sort of temperature is warm enough? Im spraying nitro in an aerosol can and kinda eager to get going! I'll be doing it all in my garage with no heating etc. Do I need to wait for summer? Is there any way about it?

Cheers in advance!

2. Informal

Informal Tele-Meister

Heat the lacquer (in warm water) Keep your neck/body whatever you are shooting at room temp, right up until you're ready to go.. You can even blast it with a hair dryer for a bit if you want, shoot it.. walk away from it.

Never had an issue shooting lacquer this way.

3. hesleptonstuart

hesleptonstuart Tele-Meister

Never thought of the hair dryer technique? It's worked for you? I could keep the neck that I'm shooting inside the house till I'm ready to go but I was worried that going from a warm house to a cold garage would cause condensation? Leaving the finish looking nasty? Or would I just need to keep the neck warm with the hair dryer? What about drying times?

Thanks!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Informal

Informal Tele-Meister

If you're shooting lacquer, and your parts are warmed up, as well as your finish material.. you should be good.. DO NOT hit your finish AFTER with the blow dryer..trust me on that one. :mrgreen:

Unless it's ridiculously cold (20 degrees or worse) in your garage, just leave it there to dry, if your finish material and project are warmed up a bit, your lacquer should dry pretty quick.

6. Pawnshopper

Pawnshopper Tele-Meister

Double, double
    Toil and trouble
    Hair dryer blow
    And lacquer bubble

7. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

+2

8. Informal

Informal Tele-Meister

:D

9. MichaelAa

MichaelAa Tele-Holic

10. LouisS

LouisS TDPRI Member

I always try and keep my shop at 70Degrees F , but too cold worries me. You have to start worrying about pre-mature weather checking, and if its too cold, curing will take quite some time. I've sprayed in 40degree temps before, and been ok, I just don't like to if I don't have too . . . .

It you start spraying multiple coats in top of each other, BEFORE the coat before had time to dry, that's when you will start to run into solvent popping, which is a spin to deal with.

The heating the lacquer technique works great if you want lacquer to flow well, thin naturally, and not have ridiculous amounts of overspray. I just worry about spraying warm lacquer, into/onto cold environment. If you can be patient and wait til warmer months, I advise. Or, if you can just try and heat the area you will be spraying, with a small heater, it will help all the results tremendously.

Louis N.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.