Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Spraybomb over poly -- will it work?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by WilburBufferson, Aug 26, 2017.

1. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2009
    Canada
    I've got a thinline telecaster body that is natural with a clear poly finish. I am not going to strip the poly off and do it properly. For an OK job, would it work if I use automotive primer and color spray bombs, sanding between coats? I don't care if it relics over time.

Any tips?

2. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    Yes, just sand with 600 or 800 grit before painting.

3. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Yes - leave it. Here's my '99 after 7 years. You can see poly ages. Original colour in the Tanlines.

69_reissue_aged_finish.jpg

And today

IMG_20170808_213442.jpg

Attached Files:

4. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    Yea, just make sure you sand a bit first. The surface needs to be roughed up a hair for the new paint to adhere.

5. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Just be careful what "spray bomb" you use! Don't use enamel, as it probably won't play nicely with the poly. Lacquer would be great, if you can find the color you want.
    Gene

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Not if the primer is a lacquer. You won't get any adhesion even with sanding.

Not for adhesion purposes. 320 is about as fine as you should go for intercoat adhesion of pigmented coatings. 800 can create a smoother surface than many coatings can even grip. Sanding needs to create "tooth" in the previous coat, not smoothness.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017

7. warrent

warrent Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto

8. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    NOT lacquer primer. It may have initial adhesion but has zero chemical adhesion over poly and very poor mechanical adhesion unless the surface is aggressively sanded.

Deglossers are a shortcut normally used only when sanding dust is prohibited - hospitals.med facilities, around computers and other electronics etc. The do not provide the same tooth- mechanical adhesion base - as sanding, which provides an exponentially larger surface area and microscopic sharp edges for the primer to "grab".

9. warrent

warrent Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    You are right about the lacquer primer and sanding.
    But I did suggest to sand first and use then use the deglosser. Combined they should have a better chance of working than either alone.

On the other hand half an hour and a can of paint stripper would make the process a lot easier.

10. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    :lol:

Yea, verily!

11. jadedsoul

jadedsoul Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2013
    TINY ENGLAND
    paint stripper dont work on a poly finish. well uk paint strippers dont even budge it. That green smelly Nitromorse did nish to my sq tele. had to sand it all off just to the sealer level. Makes sense to me now that maybe nitromorse is only for nitro paint ? :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.