Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Spray Painting your guitar?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by djt, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    check this thread to see a make-shift spray booth...
    "I finally committed....new build"
    also remember to keep your spraying to a minimum on very hot days when the temperature is in the 90's the heat causes the wood to expel slight amounts of internal gas and it will cause bubbles... bubbles... not good...

Also, if the humidity is too high, it will cause “blushing” as the moisture condenses within the lacquer. Not bad if you’re doing a Cloudy Grey body…. But Cloudy Grey isn’t a really popular color.

Ron Kirn

2. Wild-Wil

Wild-Wil TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Missouri
    All this Nitro paint talk has gotten me completely confused! StewMac site looks like you buy there clear then buy there pigments and start mixing until you get the color desired, and forgot there hardener and thinner too...I took an old body and used some red I had left over from one of my race cars "enamel" and it worked fine. Had to let it dry couple months.. Just finished a clear Tele mixed with vintage amber until it was as dark as I wanted, I do have all the paint equipment which does help. Put 4/5 coats over the water slide Fender and sanded it down. Just wandering?

3. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Westbury, N.Y.
    I did a body using Duplicolor midnight blue metalflake, it's acrylic lacquer. it was an old used body of unknown origin. It took three or four coats, after a week or so, I shot five or six coats of Deft clear gloss over it.waited a month and color sanded and buffed it out.
    it came out great for a low budget build.

4. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Wow that came out real nice, looks almost like Fender Sherwood Green..

5. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Martin, would you have a pic of this particular paint job?

6. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    That's actually a very close approximation to the finish Leo was using in the 60's, Dupont Lucite, often used as a color coat, was an acrylic lacquer, Clear coated with Dupont Duco, a nitrocellulose lacquer…. Deft is Nitro, a modern one, but a pretty good one at that…

rk

7. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Ron, what is your opinion on Deft? I have a quart can but after buying it I read here that it stays soft for a very long time, making it a not-so-desireable finish.

8. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I've used reranch products and think they work really well. I'm not saying others won't work as well, but I have had really good results going with a zinser aerosol primer shellac base, one can of reranch, and one or two cans of clear lacquer. Check out reranch online

9. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@ djt...here's a clear finished one piece Alder body ... :)

. saved from being lost under a Red overcoat....;)

Attached Files:

10. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    I don't use it on guitars…. but I used it on a clock I built several years ago…. it's fine…. not soft at all…. and the clock keeps great time..I just wish it was standard time…. ;)

rk

11. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2011
    charlotte, nc
    Are translucent finishes -- Mary Kaye -- a lot harder than opaques?

P

12. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mary Kaye?? I don't think so…. for me the most difficult are candies and metallics…

r

13. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I have finished several guitars with Deft ( before I knew any better). I've found it to dry slower and softer, and its more prone to imprintation and chemical reactivity. I actually just refinished a guitar I built several years ago using Deft. It had all kind of various chemical burns and imprintations. It sucks because DEFT sprays and flows beautifully, and its SUPER shiny.

* Just as a side not to this old thread. Krylon has switched up its formula, and it is no longer an acrylic lacquer. I thinks its a type of enamel now.

14. BigSkyTeleGirl

BigSkyTeleGirl TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Earthling...
    I recently did a couple of Saga kits and used Dupli Color Lacquer and it came out very nice. I did the TC kit using the Perfect Match lt. blue metallic with no clear coat and it went on very easy and smooth.

Even tho' I am new here I would offer this bit of advice - clear coats tend to turn yellow over white paint BC there is generally amber tint to the clears. I have extensive experience with this (LC-10 build using white enamel Dupli Color) so I wanted to warn you. I was told that water based polys won't have the yellowing effect but after several rounds of painting and sanding I left well enough alone and did not try a water-based clear. To be safe just test it before you spray the guitar body.

15. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    yep… and not even close to compatible with lacquer clear coats….

r

16. Arbiter

Arbiter Banned

Jan 24, 2012
    self-banned
    I color coat with spray paint routinely, never had problems with that.

The clear is a different story. Valspar used to make a decent spraycan nitro lacquer, they don't seem to anymore. I am in the middle of a topcoat test using Deft and Zinsser shellac (not together), it does stay softer longer than other lacquers, and more to the point, it is not an attractive finish at all - my test involved two test pieces, side by side, one shot with Deft and one with shellac. The shellac looks gorgeous, grain popped and everything, prettiest clear coat ever. The Deft is quite dull by comparison.

Both have stayed soft for too long - four weeks. My old McFadden (now Seagrave) guitars, and my Valspar guitars, were rock-hard after a day.

Shame about the shellac, I had some high hopes for that as a topcoat. Shame about the Deft as it's easy to find. Gonna make the long drive to Sherwin-Williams, get some decent nitro lacquer and fire up the compressor and spray gun. Pain in the ass but as with everything else involving finish, you have to do it right the first time because it takes ten times longer to redo.

17. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I did a Satin finish using Sherwin Williams lacquer yesterday. The day before I gave it a good coat of Teak oil to bring out the color in the wood, let it sit over night. Then I sprayed three light passes of SW lacquer from my spray rig. Let it dry for 4 hours, then buffed with 0000 steel wool and wax. Turned out great. Ive also finished and buffed guitar necks in a day using 1 coat of SW lacquer.

To contrast, the first guitar I finished with DEFT stayed soft for 6 months, and even after 6 months it was prone to imprintation.

18. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Its a shame because the old formula Krylon was good stuff.

19. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    that's the truff… the new schidt aint' worth a hoot in hell…. I guess R&D got together, decided the old formula was so great, they weren't selling enough paint, so figured out how to "fix" what wasn't broke. I reckon it says the usual on the label on such products… "New & Improved"...

r

20. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

Minwax makes Nitro lacquer in both brush on and spray can- black can- available at Walmart, usually. I've used it. Dries hard in the usual 30 days, and comes out glass like when sanded and buffed. Ialso use Deft lacquer sanding sealer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.