Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Spray or rub a burst?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Kinghat, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Kinghat

Kinghat Tele-Meister

I imagine everyone has an opinion about this. I am building four pine Teles and am nearing the paint stage. At least on of these I want to be a cherry or tobacco burst. I got some nitro and all the dyes StewMac offers, and am leaning towards rubbing the dye onto the body and then clearing it.

How do you guys do it?

2. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

I can't imagine a rubbed burst could come close to a sprayed one. I won't say nobody has ever done an acceptable rubbed burst, just that it probably isn't preferred. I know spray equipment can get expensive but at least try a Preval or some of the spray cans from Stewmac or Reranch.

3. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Grab some scrap wood and practice. I spray mine because I am not good at rubbed bursts.

Actually rubbed burst ussually come out nicer than sprayed bursts. Sprayed burst tend to have hard edges because people don't practice their technique enough before actually spraying. A well applied burst using either mehtod would be indistinguishable.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Kinghat

Kinghat Tele-Meister

I have all the spray equipment needed (I have painted a few cars). I have a fair technique I believe. Here is a car I painted:
    [​IMG]

When I did the flames I used a over reducing trick to get the colors to blend and fade into each other. I have never seen or heard of anyone using this for guitars, but I am curious enough to try it on some scrap.

6. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

7. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Should be a walk in the park for you. I would cut out a poster board guitar body to practice on first. you have the technique, just need a feel for the contours and curves of the guitar.

Great job by the way

8. Kinghat

Kinghat Tele-Meister

9. martyb1

martyb1 Tele-Afflicted

I spray all my bursts

I believe the biggest reason some sprayed bursts have such hard edges is that people get in too big of hurry and put on too much color at one time.Also using a cutout to do your different colors will give you hard lines.

10. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Wouldn't this only happen if the pattern is placed too close to the body? I would raise it off the body with some wood blocks or other material. This should allow some of the spray to get under the pattern and eliminate the hard lines.

11. chiasson

chiasson TDPRI Member

There are several vids out there of pros spraying bursts; find one and learn all you can before doing your own. In my opinion, the Benedetto video is great.

12. Kinghat

Kinghat Tele-Meister

do you have a link for this?

13. chiasson

chiasson TDPRI Member

I PMd you about the burst spraying vid.

14. Kinghat

Kinghat Tele-Meister

Thanks!

15. robt57

robt57 Doctor of Teleocity

Really?

16. Arbiter

Arbiter Banned

I use both methods. Rubbed for everything except for the final black, which is sprayed. It's a great method, wish I'd figured it out when I was doing production work. It's slower than spraying but it's really hard to mess it up. And as others above have shown, results can be spectacular.

17. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

18. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

I spray mine.
    [​IMG]

As mentioned above, the key is to go slow and keep it fairly dry. I use alcohol-based analines and if you spray too much or too wet they can get 'splotchy'. I put down the amber first, then do the edges and usually go back with a mix of the two colors to give it the overall tone I want.

19. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Here's mine. I used a brew up of dyes out of dollar store felt tip pens (contents cut up and steeped in hot water). The OTT black edges are paint. I'm going to sand back the paint and redo it at some stage but the burst is just how I like it.

[​IMG]

I haven't attempted a spray burst, but the rub on method seems very forgiving to me. Using the dyes I used, it was also very controllable, as the intensity of colour could be built up over successive coats.

20. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Excellent video on LMI website videos.
    About 1/2 of the way down is "Sunburst Finish"
    Should be a piece of cake for somebody who can paint cars like you have

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/Video.asp

21. guitar2005

guitar2005 Tele-Holic

I much prefer hand rubbed bursts. You can really control the color and fade well with a bit of practice. That's how I do mine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.