Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Spotify Hit With $1.6 Billion Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Ever get asked to play for free, because it was 'good exposure'?

This is a very slippery slope as to how far we, as musicians, are willing to be taken for a ride.

drlucky likes this.

2. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Meister

drlucky likes this.

3. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This is what they said:

o Our Valued Customers:

Effective as of February 15, 2018, the U.S. Music Royalty Fee will increase from 13.9% to 19.1% of the price of all audio packages which include music channels. As a result, the charge on your next billing date will be different than the fee displayed in your subscription renewal notice. The U.S. Music Royalty Fee displayed in that notice reflects the fee in effect at the time it was processed.

4. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2009
    chicago usa
    Hey...they got their name back, The Turtles...Step 1...and now add Flo and Eddie to clarify. Step 2...get paid. "Get another quarter out..."

www.theturtles.com

5. RedRiverII

RedRiverII TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Oct 5, 2017
    Fla.
    Santana, Elephants Memory, Golden Earring, .75 cents Wed. evening 1969 or so, Fillmore East. I guess I'm never going to see that again. Light show = overhead projector, petri dish with oil, and food coloring. 60 cents for Big Bill, a nickel for each group. It's fifty years later and the groups are still getting a nickel. Go figure.

Anode100 and MickM like this.

6. grilldanmo

grilldanmo Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2017
    United States of America
    I tend to think so, but they dropped the ball on streaming rights and related royalties, not unlike the RIAA as a whole regarding the digital age, file sharing, selling music electronically and such.

For all the joy it brings me and money it generates for the labels and retailers/streamers, we pay too little for the wonderful gift that is music...in relation to how much of the money generated and we pay out actually goes to the people creating the music/art that we love.

7. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Neil had no business pizzin' in that kids ear and knocking crap over just 'cause he's mad at the bootlegging of concert recordings at the time. That clerk was probably making $2.15 hr. back then and had nothing to do with buying the records that his boss sells.

8. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I just got an email from Sirius/XM that the music royalty fee has been raised feom 13% to 19% of the listening package subscription fee that you have. I never listen to music on Sirius, never but I'm paying $5 a month for royalties on songs i have never heard.

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

From an article on business insider

Spotify says it pays labels and publishers between $0.006 and $0.0084 per stream. A Guardian report suggests that the average payment a signed artist gets after their label takes its share is a mere $0.001128.

Apple will pay music owners 71.5% of Apple Music's revenue in the US. Outside the US this could fluctuate, but will average out at around 73%. How much the musicians who wrote the songs will actually get depends on the contracts they have with the music labels and publishers who distribute their songs, the report pointed out. The total of around 70% will go to the people who own the complete sound recordings Apple Music will play and the people who own the publishing rights to the underlying compositions of the songs”

10. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    Send money to your favorite artists.

11. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Dec 18, 2011
    Atlanta
    No, but I believe that without a payday the odds of it happening go way down in the world of rock music.

12. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    so they dont deserve to get paid because they arent any good? in your opinion?

13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

True. You are only arguing with 99.99% of the way its been for 100 years, that's all. Just because you don't believe something will work, doesn't mean historical success isn't true...;)

Money on itunes? Neither have I. Lets test my speculation. I've got 400+ CDs, 30+ 8-tracks, about (15) 2hr 7" reel-to-reels, about 550 LPs, and about (75) 78rpm discs. No laser discs, no mini-disks. In addition, I've got around 3000 tracks on mp3 of public domain material, which doesn't count in this discussion. Is your collection larger?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

14. MA6200

MA6200 Tele-Meister

May 12, 2017
    Maryland
    I want artists to be compensated properly but as a consumer I love streaming music services, Spotify in particular.

15. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    Good grief, it's a music collection measuring contest!
    What a world!

16. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    My red button is better and works more bigly.

TheOneFatGuy, kelnet and a_pidgeon like this.

17. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

May 2, 2013
    Twangville
    i like the idea of of streaming and sat radio but imo the quality is horrible.

i have and pay for sat radio but i dont really listen to it, horrible sounds imo.

i dont know if sat and streaming are afraid i will record it or what but the quality is not good imo.

reminds me of some of the cd i bought where it is just clipping mp3's on them.

where can i buy that smooth high quality?

18. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Oh goody. What will we measure next?

I consider my collection pretty small. I used to co-host a radio show with a friend who had around 30,000 records, almost 20 years ago. I don't know what his count is at today, but that's my high mark. I would consider a decent size collection to be around 4000 albums worth of recordings in any non-mp3 format of choice.

19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Cool, now lets hear how your radio experience confirms/denies that:

Radio has always been free to the listener/consumer
    Radio has always been the primary source for promoting artists
    Radio is funded by advertising; not consumer purchases or fees
    Artists don't make much from radio royalties, but instead from record sales and concerts
    Free radio airplay is directly related to record sales and concert sales
    No one has ever had much success without radio airplay

You're the broadcast industry expert, what say ye? Can the same be true if we substitute "Spotify" for "radio"?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.