Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Spotify Hit With $1.6 Billion Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY

2. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Neil is still pissed that nobody bought a Pono.

noah330, alnicopu, Doug 54 and 7 others like this.

3. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    My thoughts exactly.

4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Speaking of Neil, this was from his '72 biography. I think it's pretty interesting:

mnutz and nocastermike like this.

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I guess the songwriters need to get paid.

6. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    Shouldn't ASCAP, BMI and SESAC be taking care of this?

Teleterr and LutherBurger like this.

7. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    They will make far far more money by being exposed and distributed thru Spotify, than not. They should be paying Spotify to push their product. The unknown self-promoters are still trying to sell their first 100 discs at flea markets and yard sales. Hint: The radio is free. Radio made [insert all popular bands, artists, musicians and singers] popular prior to the last few years, including Young.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Uh... this is so wrong I don't even know where to start. For the record, I'm a professional musician and songwriter.

And radio is gigantic mess.

I'm pulling off streaming, because it gives me a big fat nothing. Thousands upon thousands of plays results in literally a few bucks.

Do you not think artists get paid for being on the radio? Radio is a total mess, but the artists get paid.

9. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    Actually the radio is not free. Why do you think all of the ads are on the radio? The artist and song writer are paid every time a song is played. The money has to come from somewhere. Personally I thought this would happen a lot sooner. I never understood the streaming model, the artist should be paid for their music! Nothing is free in this world!

Flaneur, drlucky, Wallo Tweed and 2 others like this.

10. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    What's the business model here, do you think? How does people listening to them turn into money if most people don't buy records anymore? Streaming is not today's radio, it's today's records. People don't just get checks from the universe for being famous.

11. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    I'm hearing from industry folks that music streaming is finally starting to pay off. I've also talked to industry attorneys on both sides of lawsuits regarding satellite and in-flight radio. Does that give me any insight? Eh... I don't know. I do know that Flo & Eddie/The Turtles are behind one of the bigger, more contentious suits.

Jakedog likes this.

12. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    Joe Walsh knows the score . The biz is totally backwards from what it used to be . Touring supported album sales . Today , that may as well be in Martian . Artists need to go direct and that process is very complicated and risky . At this rate , the recording industry will need to reinvent itself every year in the least just to remain viable . Should be one h**l of a ride .

drlucky, Rospo and Jakedog like this.

13. teleman55

teleman55 Tele-Holic

Jul 9, 2007
    fox lake, il
    This is good. I know there are several of these suits against them. I know I'm in one with who knows how many others. I don't expect to see a lot and God knows when, but any $s help. Plus just good to see these guys get spanked a bit.

S-arm and Jakedog like this.

14. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    It's sort of funny because the "artists" always claimed that the record companies ripped them off and in time, the "fans" killed the record companies off and "artists" now have no way to make money except touring . No one wants to hear their new new music, no one wants to pay them an advance to record new music, so they do "greatest hits" tours endlessly and the crowds get smaller. I'm guessing a lot of legacy artists would love to have big record companies controlling the business the way they used to. As far as new artists go, how you gonna make it? the club circuit is dead, the 21YO drinking age made sure of that and no one wants to pay $16 for your CD when they can get it for free and if they can't they wont listen to it.

Nubs likes this.

15. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    So far I've resisted using streaming services. There's been so many complaints by the artists.

John Owen, telleutelleme and Elmore like this.

16. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Spotify is the only way I find out about new bands. I do not listen to commercial radio at all anymore, I do not want to listen to 20 minutes of commercials every hour and the same songs over and over again.

MA6200 and Loco like this.

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I'm not "sure" why you are putting "artists" in "quotes", but if I were one, I would take "umbrage".

18. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    because a lot of these people don't rise to the level of "artist", they are good enough rock bands, but let's face it, they are mediocre musicians and songwriters for the most part.

noah330 likes this.

19. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    I see. So those artists in the lawsuit must fall into this category by your thinking ....

Just can't agree. This is about technology change, but the same market forces are at work and need to be leveled out eventually.

20. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I'm speaking in general terms. Bands hated the record companies and now they hate the streaming services. The fans are the ones that did this to them along with themselves. I have never heard a musician/singer/songwriter say they think they got a good deal and get paid enough for their music. That's not my fault, maybe they should take business courses instead of getting high and letting other people handle their business. Maybe they should create a better "product" and control it better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.